2015/16 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2015/16 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by SiMamu »

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP · 22m22 minutes ago
Leeds are still looking at loans but time's running out. One player they missed out on was Charlton striker Tony Watt - went to Cardiff
From what I'm hearing, Cardiff City think they've got a deal for Bridcutt. #lufc
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Fernandopartridge
Major Frank Buckley's monkey gland expert

Post by Fernandopartridge »

SG90 wrote:
Fernandopartridge wrote:
SG90 wrote:Well the only target Evans had in mind was Lindegaard and West Brom said no, so what other options did he have lined up? Also Bridcutt was an unnecessary target.
I strongly disagree, granted he hasn't played much recently, but when he is on his game he is better than Murphy, Adeyemi, Bianchi and Mowatt IMO. He would have added quality to a midfield that quite often goes missing.

Although a backup keeper is very much needed, I'd say a striker is the priority for now, Antenucci is hit and miss and Wood hasn't been great. Plus, the back up options of Doukara and Erwin don't fill me with confidence if one of those two were to get injured.
I would take a creative attacking midfielder, a pacey striker and a gk over Bridcutt.
As would I, but it looking like we will get nothing.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Fernandopartridge wrote:
SG90 wrote:
Fernandopartridge wrote:
SG90 wrote:Well the only target Evans had in mind was Lindegaard and West Brom said no, so what other options did he have lined up? Also Bridcutt was an unnecessary target.
I strongly disagree, granted he hasn't played much recently, but when he is on his game he is better than Murphy, Adeyemi, Bianchi and Mowatt IMO. He would have added quality to a midfield that quite often goes missing.

Although a backup keeper is very much needed, I'd say a striker is the priority for now, Antenucci is hit and miss and Wood hasn't been great. Plus, the back up options of Doukara and Erwin don't fill me with confidence if one of those two were to get injured.
I would take a creative attacking midfielder, a pacey striker and a gk over Bridcutt.
As would I, but it looking like we will get nothing.
But we spent so much time pursuing a position we didn't need and ignored what we do.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

For me, we need to improve right down the spine of the team. With the defence, I feel it needs to be a case of signing either a centre back or a goalkeeper, to be first choice. Bellusci and Silvestri as part of the defence both have the same aerial weakness, drawing further attention to that clear problem in the team.This problem is furthered by the fact that none of our full backs are good enough at stopping crosses coming - and that includes the beloved Berardi - and so the aerially susceptible defence find themselves up against more balls they struggle to deal with. Either a towering centre half is needed - Bamba perhaps - or a tall, commanding, vocal goalkeeper needs to come in - maybe Wayne Hennessey.

When looking at the midfield, one first needs to admit an uneasiness about the 4-4-2, and a preference to return to the 4-2-3-1, or to a 3-5-2/5-3-2 - for we lack control of the midfield with only 2, and we're not going to create much for the 2 up top if we're not getting enough of the ball. At the base of the midfield, Murphy and Adeyemi have both been inconsistent. For Cook's central midfield partner, I'd like a tough tackling Austin type -maybe Dikgacoi from Cardiff. If, heaven forbid, Cook departs, my choice for a replacement would be Preston's Daniel Johnson. In the wide positions, we are now blessed with Mowatt, Dallas, Botaka and, for now, Buckley. At attacking midfield, I'd like someone more mobile and nimble than Mowatt, with Joao Texeira being the dream signing.

Wood still leaves a lot to be desired up top for me, and I'm not sure about Antenucci leading the line - he seems to have quite the effect coming off the bench. My ideal choice for the striker position would be Lewis Grabban - pace and finishing in abundance. He could also play out wide, if necessary, with him operating as a wide forward perhaps solving the isolated striker problem. If he plays central, I'd love to see Walters as a wide forward.

I'm not expecting all these positions to be addressed by tomorrow, this is more with a view to January.
Fernandopartridge

With the ownership issue, not knowing if we will have the same manager come the following week etc, these issues are likely to keep recurring. I agree with the core, a tall, vocal, proven GK, a commanding leader at CB, a tough tackling CM and a quick striker are, for me, exactly what we need.

As much as I would love to see Hennessey, Texeria and Grabban in the white shirt, would they come to the unstable, lower-md table Leeds when they will more likely have other offers? To his credit, I like that Cellino only goes for those who want to play for Leeds, but in our current climate, are these players realistic?

I am been very cynical here, I do apologise!
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP · 39s39 seconds ago
Liam Bridcutt's move to Leeds is back on. I understand that he and Evans have met again at Thorp Arch tonight. #lufc
Contacts in the north east are saying Bridcutt and Evans have shaken hands on a deal. Should sign tomorrow. Cardiff thought they had him.

Maybe Bridcutt could be the ball winner we need next to Cook, but also very good on the ball? I kind of wanted someone with more physical presence, but perhaps tenacity alone will serve him, like Lee Cattermole (but not quite that tenacious).
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Good news if true, not doubting it, especially if he's a leader because that's a big weakness too at the moment.
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

Would be sweet if we nicked him off Cardiff :lol:
Fernandopartridge

Sky Sports, via the Daily Star, are linking us with Bridcutt, Lee Camp and James Tavernier. The first two I'd be happy with, but do we really need a right back who is currently playing for Rangers?! But as I have said, this is reported in the Daily Star, with the Camp and Taverneir links been made due to Evans previously signing the pair, I do hope that smell is lazy journalism!
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Can players from a foreign language even move to the club during the emergency loan window? I don't think they can, so I doubt the reliability of the Tavernier links massively.

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP · 47m47 minutes ago
@ScottEaglen @ephemeraljoy Evans thought about Camp a month ago but he's in Rotherham's team now so no chance.
@ScottEaglen @ephemeraljoy as for Tavernier, as far as I'm aware you're only allowed to emergency loan from domestic clubs
@ScottEaglen @ephemeraljoy and even so, Rangers wouldn't let him go on loan at this stage.