OFFICIAL - Steve Evans appointed head coach

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: OFFICIAL - Steve Evans appointed head coach

Post by SG90 »

I don't like the guy, but for me it's not all his fault. The players need to have a look at themselves as well. We have internationals and former PL players, players who PL clubs are supposedly scouting, so it's not like we have a pub team of non league standard. 1 shot on target in 90 mins is abysmal, regardless of the opposition and it's not just today either. We've had so many games this year without scoring. No goals again, lack of creativity. Again other managers out there probably wouldn't change anything. I like Lambert, but remember he was an up coming manager before he went to Villa and then just turned to crap given the state of the club and I don't see how it would be any different here. While we play the same team every week, I don't see what people expect to change.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Its all very depressing, keep hoping things will turn around but it is just hope. We need to get to a safety point and then hope for a massive sort out but its not going to be easy.
TezzaWazzaBazza
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by TezzaWazzaBazza »

Evans isn't the man, we all know this. Passion isn't enough, there's loads of that in any number of clubs. Unfortunately getting the right person is going to be tremendously difficult. We are going to be stuck in the middle/low end of the league until something really changes, which probably means ownership of the club. Cellino's firing isn't the problem, it's his hiring.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:As for Evans I'm sorry I still think Cellino is influencing his team selections. Silvestri is a personal favourite of the President & I believe it's one of the main reasons he will never be replaced whilst MC is at the club.
I think you can Cook to that as well. Don't get me wrong not slagging him off, but Cellino wanted him to play every week last year and it just seems like he's the only midfielder who's allowed a bad game and will never be in contention to be dropped. I don't think he offers enough in midfield atm, particularly going forward.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I think the main question is how long does Evans have ?
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

Its not the manager.

Evans is as good as we are going to get under Cellino.

I think he will keep us up this season, which will be a decent achievement because our club is an absolute mess.

There is no way that any manager will find success here without major change at the heart of the club itself.

It is almost a pointless topic in a way but that is not meant disparagingly against the reason for the topic.

Evans is probably exactly what we need at this time.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I've made no secret of it, I am a big fan.

For me, he just 'gets it'. He hurts like hell when we lose, (his interview after the Blackburn game), and loves it when we win (going to the fans at Hudds, which was ludicrously condemned by Yorath in the Pav).

Unfortunately, with the exception of Bridcutt, he is pretty much using other managers/coaches players so it is hard to judge his eye for a player, although I agree with others the use of Wootton at RB when Byram is available is very odd.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
judy
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by judy »

although I agree with others the use of Wootton at RB when Byram is available is very odd.

Not odd to me - obviously instructions from the top are not to play Sam! The contract situation has to be sorted out. Why Cellino cannot see that if he offers a player a contract earning less than his current one it is never going to be signed. (The exception being Murphy, who probably knows he will not earn more anywhere else). Would you work for less, I know I wouldn't.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The thing that's concerning me is that it's obvious that the team getting picked game after game just isn't working. Cooks in danger of burning himself out, Mowatt apart from his goals is contributing little & Antenucci & Wood seem similar players in style. Now Evans is a football man surely he can see that things need mixing up but he doesn't, why is the question ? If he is picking the team then unless he turns things round quickly it's only a matter of time before the fans turn on him, sounds like he got some grief at QPR. I still think Cellino has the last word on team selection & this has been the case from day one. He's not the motivator I thought he was going to be. Very disappointed in him thus far.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:The thing that's concerning me is that it's obvious that the team getting picked game after game just isn't working. Cooks in danger of burning himself out, Mowatt apart from his goals is contributing little & Antenucci & Wood seem similar players in style. Now Evans is a football man surely he can see that things need mixing up but he doesn't, why is the question ? If he is picking the team then unless he turns things round quickly it's only a matter of time before the fans turn on him, sounds like he got some grief at QPR. I still think Cellino has the last word on team selection & this has been the case from day one. He's not the motivator I thought he was going to be. Very disappointed in him thus far.

How many of our last sacked managers did the same? I like to say I don't understand how our team can play so bad, without any of the managers picking or trying players from the youth set up, or fringe players.
All very different managers with a similar mind-set due to one common denominator, Cellino!

I have no doubt regardless what the managers are told to tell us, that Cellino has too much team input.