Evans is not the messiah.....

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Evans is not the messiah.....

Post by isrodger »

sawadee wrote:Regime after regime there has always been 'something else' that needs to be addressed first it seems before proper investment in the team can be looked at. Yes the debt issues needs addressing likewise the ground and TA need to come back oh and nice to have good corporate facilities but a decade+ of underachievement on the playing field caused entirely by a lack of investment into the team is the biggest issue that we face and until that is changed i'm pretty sure we will not progress. I'm not calling for another Ridsdale type splurge but enough investment in the squad to give our famous club a fighting chance to compete.
Your right, but it's how the investment is funded which is the issue. I actually think had we got foresteri that was probably the limit in terms of sustainable investment. I believe he would have made a big difference - top six possibly. I'm intrigued at what is going to happen at Wednesday, Derby & Boro if they fail to go up. They have clearly overspent - will they face embargo - we will see. I've seen a bit of Derby - the fans are know questioning the lauded clement. Johnson for me is an inferior player to Bridcutt @ hopefully a third / half the price in terms of fee; wages may be the same. The top six looks like it will be made up of the relegated sides plus the over spenders - the exception possibly being Ipswich. So it is all about money. That said I do think our last 3 major signings are improvements Wood, Dallas & Bridcutt; so I can only conclude were on the right track however Cellino must now be prepared to lose £10m each season if we are to stand a chance of competing for the playoffs, with automatics given the big increase in parachute payments probably the preserve of those previously relegated going forward.
sawadee
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by sawadee »

Definitely agree re Foresteri. Also agree that the parachute payments make it virtually impossible for the rest of us to compete. But, once in a while a club without funds but with good owners and management can work miracles - a team that i still have a mighty soft spot for Wimbledon being a good example. Not likely to happen in our case sadly with our current ownership who will never i fear be able to get everyone from the tea lady to to team going in the same direction.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

sawadee wrote:Definitely agree re Foresteri. Also agree that the parachute payments make it virtually impossible for the rest of us to compete. But, once in a while a club without funds but with good owners and management can work miracles - a team that i still have a mighty soft spot for Wimbledon being a good example. Not likely to happen in our case sadly with our current ownership who will never i fear be able to get everyone from the tea lady to to team going in the same direction.
The finances have now completely changed the competitive dynamic. On a level playing field, tv money apart im pretty sure we generate more turnover than any other club. Pearson admitted it in the summer, our numbers are significantly ahead of everyone else's. Derby are probably closest @ £23/25m turnover. Yes the ground & TA are a drain on income, however when one considers that teams will start to get £40m in parachute payments, it will be a complete game changer, providing the relegated clubs have relegation clauses in their playe contracts. I guess we can only hope the relegated sides go straight back up or are relegated. The football league needs to address this issue in order to protect the integrity of the competition. The feelings we have regarding our failings are similar to those Leicester fans had two three seasons ago under Pearson. Derby fans have now. I genuinely think we're moving forward for the first time post Grayson; or at least were no longer going backwards. That said I'm as depressed as you ... And the weather doesn't help!
woollywhite
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by woollywhite »

phil62 wrote:
dlw10 wrote:No he is not the Messiah, but he's as good as we have had in recent times, he seems to be a good judge of a player and I actually like the way he assesses games similar to the way I see them! There are folk saying on various platforms that on Saturday "he must have been watching a different game " etc etc but I and a few others on here saw it as a game in which we did ok against a decent side and only lost it because of a moment of brain fade. There is no doubt it is an impossible task working for Cellino and I do detect he says somethings to try to placate "the President" so he keeps his "dream job" a while longer. I'd love to see him get a pre season.
We would not have lost yesterday if Doukara had been awake and had closed the crosser down. You could see it in his reaction ' oh feck that's me'. He was asleep. I am in the NE corner and I could see it in his face.

I like Evans. He's passionate, he sees the games as I do (even when it hurts) and he has brought a better spirit to the side.

Have to agree completely with this...

Why does everyone think that changing managers every 6 months will make us great again? Sheesh give the guy a chance, a full pre-season, his players, a full season to implement how he wants to play, then judge?? At least he has some passion
NO news is good news
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

woollywhite wrote:
phil62 wrote:
dlw10 wrote:No he is not the Messiah, but he's as good as we have had in recent times, he seems to be a good judge of a player and I actually like the way he assesses games similar to the way I see them! There are folk saying on various platforms that on Saturday "he must have been watching a different game " etc etc but I and a few others on here saw it as a game in which we did ok against a decent side and only lost it because of a moment of brain fade. There is no doubt it is an impossible task working for Cellino and I do detect he says somethings to try to placate "the President" so he keeps his "dream job" a while longer. I'd love to see him get a pre season.
We would not have lost yesterday if Doukara had been awake and had closed the crosser down. You could see it in his reaction ' oh feck that's me'. He was asleep. I am in the NE corner and I could see it in his face.

I like Evans. He's passionate, he sees the games as I do (even when it hurts) and he has brought a better spirit to the side.

Have to agree completely with this...

Why does everyone think that changing managers every 6 months will make us great again? Sheesh give the guy a chance, a full pre-season, his players, a full season to implement how he wants to play, then judge?? At least he has some passion
TBF I don't think it's that many people, and it's the owner whose opinions count anyway. I was though quite shocked at how many people agreed with his getting rid of Rosler so early on, including Lorimer who said UR 'had to go' which was a lousy thing to say about any 'manager' so early on.
Verloc
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Verloc »

sawadee wrote:Definitely agree re Foresteri. Also agree that the parachute payments make it virtually impossible for the rest of us to compete. But, once in a while a club without funds but with good owners and management can work miracles - a team that i still have a mighty soft spot for Wimbledon being a good example. Not likely to happen in our case sadly with our current ownership who will never i fear be able to get everyone from the tea lady to to team going in the same direction.
All hail Sky, eh? Ruining football since 1992.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

TBF I don't think it's that many people, and it's the owner whose opinions count anyway. I was though quite shocked at how many people agreed with his getting rid of Rosler so early on, including Lorimer who said UR 'had to go' which was a lousy thing to say about any 'manager' so early on.
[/quote]

Rosler wasnt right for us, neither was Darko or Hockaday. McDermott was doing just fine (5th in the Championship! - Have we reached those heady heights since?) until GFH decided they wanted to sell and Cellino came into the picture. Redfearn stepped up when needed and then got shafted!

IMHO Evans is doing pretty OK all things considered.

Until Cellino is prepared to employ the right person and we are focussed on building and not dismantling, then I think that Evans is as good as we can hope for. A manager or 'coach' needs time to be successful, or they need an already established team and squad of players that are already moving in the right direction.

I certainly do no think that Evans should be going anywhere for a while. IMHO :D
Last edited by Deleted User 2747 on 08 Feb 2016, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

The best performance imho came under Rosler at Derby. Just opinion, but what does 'Rosler wasn't right for us' mean? Are you basing that on results, performances, signings? The owner hired all those fellas, how were they 'right' for us in the first place? BTW I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.

Redfearn WITH Thompson was doing v well, on his own it was too much.
sawadee
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by sawadee »

Cannot see how any manager could have succeeded or indeed will succeed given the financial constraints that have existed for over a decade. A cocktail of cast offs, journeymen, frees, Serie B money grabbers, loans and lower league wannabes along with some talented academy youngsters will never ever ever get us promoted. Accepted that there have been a small number of bigger money purchases but at what cost? we've continually sold off our best and brightest talent to fund those so called marquee additions. Guardiola, Mourinho or Shankly would have fared little better than any of our recent managers have managed given the constraints. Even Don Revie would likely need a season or two to turn things around.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:The best performance imho came under Rosler at Derby. Just opinion, but what does 'Rosler wasn't right for us' mean? Are you basing that on results, performances, signings?
The owner hired all those fellas, how were they 'right' for us in the first place?
BTW I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.

Redfearn WITH Thompson was doing v well, on his own it was too much.
I don't think they were right for us in the first place.

I think I mean that like others have said before. McDermott knew what it meant to be at Leeds and so does Evans - and ofcourse Redfearn did. (And why was Thompson removed?).

It is hard to explain and but it is more about attitude, passion, perception and personality, if that makes any sense! Some people fit and some don't , it happens in lots of other teams and not just football! - Remember Brian Clough!!!!