Evans is not the messiah.....

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Verloc
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: Evans is not the messiah.....

Post by Verloc »

If only Evans could stick to a consistent line when talking about our finances. Top 6 budget, Byram fee plus more to spend - or - wage bill has to be cut in the summer, fees need to come down before we can compete. Which is it Steve, get your story right?
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Verloc wrote:If only Evans could stick to a consistent line when talking about our finances. Top 6 budget, Byram fee plus more to spend - or - wage bill has to be cut in the summer, fees need to come down before we can compete. Which is it Steve, get your story right?
Not wanting to defend the big man but I haven't read anything inconsistent in what he's said. It depends what folk assume he is talking about. I read that he is saying we have some players who are not good enough who are on big money and that needs to be corrected with a reduction in the wage bill (by moving some of them on) to allow us to recruit better players who will of course command big wages themselves. We need to see those 14/15 accounts to see exactly what the wages bill was in that period (albeit even that is getting on fro 12 months out of date by the time we see it in April).
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

Actually quite like Evans and he should be given credit for getting best out of a number of players (Belluschi, Doukara etc) who were deemed surplus to requirements. However, he will need to progress in terms of coaching tactics etc. For example in last few minutes of a game, why not as Mellor suggested play a CB up front (Chelsea had Terry along side Costa n the last few minutes and they got an equaliser). Also agree that Charlie Taylor should be encouraged to drive into the last third (bit like Davies does for Spurs), and we need same at RB - not going to be Wooton I'm afraid.

Final point is that spending money doesn't guarantee success (look at Derby, hell even look at what Liverpool and Man City have wasted on CB's, who are arguably not as good as Cooper and Belluschi).
new signing

Post by new signing »

So who are these players that are on the big money?
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Surely the issue is players who are on 'money' - given that SE has come through non league and RUFC this money seems 'big' - but don't play/play for the U/21s - Sloth etc?
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Verloc

Post by Verloc »

dlw10 wrote:
Verloc wrote:If only Evans could stick to a consistent line when talking about our finances. Top 6 budget, Byram fee plus more to spend - or - wage bill has to be cut in the summer, fees need to come down before we can compete. Which is it Steve, get your story right?
Not wanting to defend the big man but I haven't read anything inconsistent in what he's said. It depends what folk assume he is talking about. I read that he is saying we have some players who are not good enough who are on big money and that needs to be corrected with a reduction in the wage bill (by moving some of them on) to allow us to recruit better players who will of course command big wages themselves. We need to see those 14/15 accounts to see exactly what the wages bill was in that period (albeit even that is getting on fro 12 months out of date by the time we see it in April).
The statements I have mentioned above are inconsistent (both reported by Phil Hay post-Forest). If we have a top 6 budget, why we do need fees to come down before we can compete effectively? Sure, we'd like it, but so would every other club.
saihtam

Post by saihtam »

Do u guys think if he will last until next season?
Really hope to see what he cant brinng with summer and next season.
Or if there is good head coach available then sack him before summer.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

saihtam wrote: Or if there is good head coach available then sack him before summer.

And then complain Cellino sacks too many Managers :crazy:

We need to give Evans summer and next season to see what he can build, we need continuity.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
woollywhite
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by woollywhite »

Selby White wrote:
saihtam wrote: Or if there is good head coach available then sack him before summer.

We need to give Evans summer and next season to see what he can build, we need continuity.
Totally agree, we need a bit of stability. With the squad we have we will win some and then lose some, BUT I personally have seen some improvement since SE took over, he' s certainly made us harder to beat that's for sure. Let's see what he can achieve with better quality players? IF he can find them and Don C will buy them)

:clap: :D
NO news is good news
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Selby White wrote:

I totally agree - Evans might just be as good as anything out there at this level. Question - who is a good coach at this level. It appears to be long ball, up and at em managers like allardyce, McCarthy, Bruce, maybe Dyce. I suspect Moyes would cope at this level wenger & Ranieri ?? Not so sure. If you look at the championship table in the bottom half there is only Grayson, Robinson & Lennon still in a job. Bruce will probably get the bullet if he doesn't take hull up, how trigger happy are the new owners @ Wednesday. The irony is its all well and good blaming the owners but even on this relatively rational barometer of lufc feeling over 50% wanted Rosler out.... ridiculously early in my view.