Half time entertainment - ER

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Half time entertainment - ER

Post by Mellor »

Don't know about anyone else but I think the current half time entertainment at ER is gross - for anyone who's never seen it the basic principle is to humiliate a fan by making them dizzy before they take 3 penalties. It's all pretty embarrassing and I get the impression most folk can't see the point - could be wrong about that.

What brought it to mind was this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/35540780

Class I think. Everton are getting good publicity, a young man and his family are extremely happy/proud and the world seems a better place.

I can't believe MC came up with the drunken penalty taker routine but why can't we get simple things like this right. In the scheme of things it's small beer, and I readily acknowledge some may find dizzy shooting amusing. For me though it's a missed opportunity to do something useful, beneficial, rewarding etc.

As a driver, I can't even escape to the bar where I could drink overpriced smoothflowlagercider stuff.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 728

Re: Half time entertainment - ER

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Everton get most things right and are deservedly known as the "peoples' club".

It's not just the way they conduct themselves in the community as they don't rip their fans off and they were the only top flight club to help out Carlisle last month.

Classy club.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Congrats to Everton :clap: that is a great thing that they have done.

Here in Australia and the A league I know some clubs do the penalty kicks but mainly at the club I follow (Newcastle Jets) at half time at virtually every game they get the kids (both male and female and under the age of 12) of the local football clubs in the area and they have those small sided games. Its great watching them play and when they score they get very excited like they have won the world cup but the best part is when the crowd gets involved and cheer every goal that goes in. There are usually 4 small sided games going on at one time. Some of the other A League clubs do the same as well. Its gives the kids a great boost and I know of a few people where I work where their kids have played on the pitch at half time and they loved it. But the Everton thing is the best I've heard so far.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I tend to spend half time on the concourse watching Soccer Saturday, and catching up on the latest scores, but I know what you mean Mellor it's a bit cringeworthy at times.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I agree, the half entertainment could be better. I must admit though it can be funny to watch someone fall flat on their dizzy arse and quite often its the best entertainment of the afternoon.

That said, something better maybe more skill orientated would be a better spectacle. Now back in the day (80's) I recall they used to put up a canvas sheet across the goal with holes of different sizes cut out. The holes were various sizes and the lucky participant would have 3 shots from the penalty spot to try and get the ball through a hole and win a prize reflective of the difficulty. I'm sure the top prize was a car as the hole was just slightly bigger than the ball, it was obviously sponsored. I remember some bloke doing it though.

I'm sure we could do something similar.

Alternatively lets go the whole hog, get someone from the crowd, strip them naked, make them run from the halfway line while a line of ball boys throw rotten pies at them with the object of them making it to the penalty spot to try and slot the ball past Steve Evans who is sporting a sumo wresting costume....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Sheepy wrote:I agree, the half entertainment could be better. I must admit though it can be funny to watch someone fall flat on their dizzy arse and quite often its the best entertainment of the afternoon.

That said, something better maybe more skill orientated would be a better spectacle. Now back in the day (80's) I recall they used to put up a canvas sheet across the goal with holes of different sizes cut out. The holes were various sizes and the lucky participant would have 3 shots from the penalty spot to try and get the ball through a hole and win a prize reflective of the difficulty. I'm sure the top prize was a car as the hole was just slightly bigger than the ball, it was obviously sponsored. I remember some bloke doing it though.

I'm sure we could do something similar.

Alternatively lets go the whole hog, get someone from the crowd, strip them naked, make them run from the halfway line while a line of ball boys throw rotten pies at them with the object of them making it to the penalty spot to try and slot the ball past Steve Evans who is sporting a sumo wresting costume....
Sheepy, your last paragraph is totally unrealistic. They would never allow pies to be thrown. If they were rotten, they would just discount the pie-tax by 10% and sell them.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Sheepy wrote:
Why don't they just bring back It's A Knockout ?? :mrgreen:
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

The dizzy guy penalties was funny - once.

I remember the guy who got a a car. He scored through all 3 holes but not in the right order. After chants of 'Give the lad the f'ing car' Ridsdale duly bought him one from his own pocket, and it was presented at the next home game.

Personally, I don't know why they bother at half time, I don't think anyone would care if they just had a 15 minute break!
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Given as how it's Yorkshire we should have a brass band playing at halftime. :D
Winner of the Europa League
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Agree, this new thing involving running round the ball ten times is ridiculous. I also think it is asking for trouble. Some of the lads being chosen have clearly had a few sherbets before they even start the spinning thing - with the pitch wet, a few beers, and being dizzy it would be easy to go over on an ankle and do some serious damage!