New Leeds United books

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: New Leeds United books

Post by Barlow Boy »

dlw10 wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Having skimmed through it, I see I’m mentioned a few times, presumably I get some royalties :thumbup:
I should think the honour of having your name in print for future generations of Barlows is quite enough!
Fair point, the rash could have stayed between friends though :shock:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
dlw10 wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Having skimmed through it, I see I’m mentioned a few times, presumably I get some royalties :thumbup:
I should think the honour of having your name in print for future generations of Barlows is quite enough!
Dare we ask where? :o
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
dlw10 wrote:
You can get a cream for that...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

kk_white wrote:
Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
dlw10 wrote:
You can get a cream for that...
On my stomach Al, a side effect of medication taken for severe food poisoning.

Yes KK, cream was applied liberally in abundance, thinking back, it was bloody sore :thumbdown:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:
dlw10 wrote:
Which rash are we talking about now....LOL!
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

dlw10 wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
dlw10 wrote:
Which rash are we talking about now....LOL!
Thought there would be more to it. :shh:
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

Support small press publishing and one of our very own forum members:

Presenting The Gigante by Robert Endeacott
In 1957 a reluctant John Charles travelled to Italy having been sold for a record fee to Juventus. Leaving Leeds behind he nervously relocated his family to a new country and began a new career in Turin. Playing with a target on his back was nothing new but he had never experienced the level of attention that lay ahead. In this fictional retelling of his time in Italy you get to witness Charles' journey from nervous new boy to il Gigante Buono - the Gentle Giant.

Review from YEP here: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9431158

Order direct from publisher here: http://www.ockleybooks.co.uk/shop/the-g ... -endeacott
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

New novel tells how Leeds United legend John Charles conquered Italy John Charles in action for Leeds United. John Charles in action for Leeds United.

A new novel has been published telling the trailblazing story of Leeds United legend John Charles as he tackled his very own Italian job. Penned by Leeds writer and lifelong United fan Robert Endeacott, The Gigante is a fictionalised account of King John’s time in Italy after he moved to Turin side Juventus in 1957. The book follows the Welshman’s exploits on the pitch as he wrote himself into Juventus folklore, earning the nickname Il Gigante Buono, or the Gentle Giant. It also provides a fascinating insight into his life away from football, as he and first wife Peggy tried to come to terms with the culture shock of Turin in an era when British players rarely moved abroad. And 53-year-old Robert hopes his 10th book – which was originally announced at the start of the year only for its publication to be delayed – will prove a champion read for Leeds fans everywhere. He said: “I’m delighted The Gigante is finally out, it has been something of a journey for myself and the publisher but we got there in the end. John Charles. John Charles. “I loved writing about the great man John Charles and I’m honoured to have been able to do so. “I’m immensely grateful to his friends and family, especially Peggy who has been wonderful throughout and a great interviewee. She makes a fine cuppa too. “The Gigante is a fiction using factual information, it is ostensibly a tribute to the Charles family, John mainly of course, and I hope I’ve done them justice. “I feel I have, simply because I had nothing negative to write, it is not that sort of story. “Proud Welshman John, one of the world’s greatest footballers of all time, was also an honorary Yorkshireman, and whilst he left Leeds for a time, Leeds never left John Charles.” Beeston-based Robert’s previous novels include One Northern Soul, Dirty Leeds and After Extra Time. He also had a foray into music writing in 2014 with Peaches, a book about punk rock band The Stranglers. The Gigante has been published by Ockley Books and can be purchased from the http://www.ockleybooks.co.uk website. It is also available from United’s Elland Road superstore and will be on sale shortly in all good bookshops. A launch event is being planned at Beeston’s John Charles Centre for Sport, which was renamed after the United great following his death in 2004. John made more than 300 appearances for the Whites and scored 157 goals, the vast majority between 1949 and 1957, although he had a brief second spell at Elland Road in 1962. Equally adept at centre-forward and centre-half, his move to Juventus for £65,000 broke the British transfer record. He was named the best foreign player to appear in Juventus’s black and white stripes when the Italian side celebrated its centenary in 1997. John also helped Wales reach the quarter-finals of the 1958 World Cup.

Read more at: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... EDKbaBrumY
Last edited by Deebo on 14 Nov 2018, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed few errors
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Looking forward to another great read from our (LUFCTALK) distinguished author. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

johnh wrote:Looking forward to another great read from our (LUFCTALK) distinguished author. :thumbup:
Thank you, John.

All, John has been really helpful to me with memories of footie and National service in the 1950s in my research for a later novel called 'Carrying Billy', the story of Peter McConnell who played for Leeds over 50 times, through the 50s and just at the start of Don Revie's tenure as manager.

Thanks Sam (Deebo) for posting :D