New Leeds United books

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

New Leeds United books

Post by Deebo »

As many of you know, I update the LUFCtalk books section on the website. I haven't done a post on it in ages, so here we go!

There have been quite a few new Leeds United related books out in the last year, here are some of the highlights:

Leeds United, Fiasco: The story of the 2013/2014 season
David Watkins
http://www.lufctalk.com/resources/leeds ... n-509.html
LUFCtalk member Dave's fourth book, following the trials and tribulations of Leeds around the country. Dave's books are great "season reviews" although I am sure he would rather be writing a much more cheerful story than the one of LUFC's 2013/14 season.

The Happy Warrior: from Leeds United to Burma
Jan Rippin
http://www.lufctalk.com/resources/leeds ... a-506.html
Eric Stephenson is one of Leeds United's forgotten heroes, made over 100 appearances for the Whites, played for England, and died in active service in WWII. He is commemorated in a stained glass window at St John's Church, Roundhay. This is his long overdue biography from his daughter, and is available direct from the author.

Never Mind the Peacocks: The Ultimate Leeds United Quiz Book
Anita Clark
http://www.lufctalk.com/resources/leeds ... k-490.html
I actually won a copy of this in a LUFCtalk competition last year, and was pleasantly surprised. Its a cracker! The best LUFC quiz book made yet, and full of fun and testing questions on Leeds United.

Got, Not Got: The Lost World of Leeds United
Derek Hammond ; Gary Silke
http://www.lufctalk.com/resources/leeds ... d-488.html
Got, Not Got: Leeds United is an Aladdin's cave of memories and memorabilia, guaranteed to whisk you back to Elland Road's fondly remembered 'Golden Age' of mud and magic - as well as a Whites-mad childhood of miniature tabletop games and imaginary, comic-fuelled worlds. The book recalls a more innocent era of football, lingering longingly over relics from the good old days - United stickers and petrol freebies, league ladders, records, big-match programmes and much more - revisiting lost football culture, treasures and pleasures that are 100 per cent Leeds.

Follow Me and Leeds United
Heidi Haigh
http://www.lufctalk.com/resources/leeds ... d-491.html
Based on a diary Heidi kept in the '70s when she didn't miss a Leeds United match, home or away, for seven years. It is about being a girl in a man's world when Leeds were one of the best teams in Europe. As a female it shows what lengths she had had to go to in order to follow her team and the problems/violence that she encountered for daring to be female and going to football matches.

And remember, if you buy these titles through the Amazon links on the page, a small proportion goes towards the running of this forum. Cheers!
Deleted User 130

Re: New Leeds United books

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Deebo, I never did hear back from you about sending you that 'ebook' by Word or whatever. Offer's still there mate.
stewpot01
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by stewpot01 »

I bought two of these in the last couple of weeks: The 'Got, not got ' and Peacocks quiz book.

The former is an interesting, and sometimes amusing look back at a far more exciting era than we have now. Having bought the two larger volumes, Got, Not Got and The Lost world of Football, the authors are Leeds and Leicester fans respectively, which gives United extra coverage in those two books as well.

It was good to see some of the things I had growing up - and still hold on to one or two, and some I regrettably parted with, the most cherished thing I owned was a set of Alan Clarke's sock tags which where autographed and like a berk I sold them - ah well.

I can recommend the Leeds edition to any fan.

The quiz book is good fun and can leave you scratching your head if you try it on your own.

Stuart
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Leeds United Fiasco landed on my doormat this morning, looking forward to getting stuck into it :thumbup:.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

onenorthernsoul wrote:Deebo, I never did hear back from you about sending you that 'ebook' by Word or whatever. Offer's still there mate.
Ah yes!! Sorry, forgot to chase you up, can you email me a copy? Never managed to get the download to owrk off the site. But I have to admit I am a novice at eBooks!

Look forward to it!!
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:Leeds United Fiasco landed on my doormat this morning, looking forward to getting stuck into it :thumbup:.
Ah! Couldn't wait for those sluggish Amazon folks eh? I am ready and braced for your comments Kev!
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

dlw10 wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Leeds United Fiasco landed on my doormat this morning, looking forward to getting stuck into it :thumbup:.
Ah! Couldn't wait for those sluggish Amazon folks eh? I am ready and braced for your comments Kev!
No, I couldn't wait Dave, and the service from those completely novel chaps is first class. Got an e-mail saying my order had been sent to the printers (surely each one does not get printed to order ?), then an e-mail to say it had been dispatched and then it landed. Took all of two days :thumbup:.

Was supposed to be saving it for my little break later this month, but read the first chapter or so last night. Forgot Hunt got those goals in the friendlies, so he has scored for Leeds after all :P.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
claptonwhite
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by claptonwhite »

dlw10 wrote:
Half way through it Dave and enjoying it so far even though it's painful remembering some of the crap football we were forced to watch. It's got to be better next season - the eternal optimist!
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Deebo wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:Deebo, I never did hear back from you about sending you that 'ebook' by Word or whatever. Offer's still there mate.
Ah yes!! Sorry, forgot to chase you up, can you email me a copy? Never managed to get the download to owrk off the site. But I have to admit I am a novice at eBooks!

Look forward to it!!
Let me know the correct email address please, lost a lot of contacts earlier this year.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:
dlw10 wrote:
No, I couldn't wait Dave, and the service from those completely novel chaps is first class. Got an e-mail saying my order had been sent to the printers (surely each one does not get printed to order ?), then an e-mail to say it had been dispatched and then it landed. Took all of two days :thumbup:.

Was supposed to be saving it for my little break later this month, but read the first chapter or so last night. Forgot Hunt got those goals in the friendlies, so he has scored for Leeds after all :P.
Excellent - everyone who has bought from CompletelyNovel says the delivery is rapid. Yes, they do in fact print every book to order! As I understand it Amazon work in a similar way in that they will place and order for a small quantity and the same printer (Lightening Source) will get an instruction to print them. There are a few printers now who are set up to run single orders through.