Our Best Starting XI

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Our Best Starting XI

Post by SiMamu »

Bringing back an old topic from before the forum was redesigned. Since then, the formation we plan on using has become less clear, with a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-1-2-1-2 both featuring in pre season.
In a 4-2-3-1:
-----------Kenny
Byram-Lees-Peltier-Warnock
-------Green-Austin
Diouf---McCormack---White
-----------Varney

The back 5 picks itself, having been the 'solidest' defence we played last season - though still leaky when the opposition started putting balls in the area. Although a new centre back is still needed. Austin is preferred to Murphy because, while he's not as good a passer, he still has a pretty good long pass on him (on his day ;)) and he provides power through the middle with his direct running.
While Diouf is very poor defensively, he links up well with Byram and is, arguably, the best crosser at the club. Green's energy will hopefully be able to cover Byram and Diouf. White is preferred to Hall or Poleon because I feel he's had the best pre season as a winger out of the three (although one hasn't exactly had a pre season). Varney has a good work rate, while also being more mobile than Hunt and Smith, so just pips them to the striker position.
Obviously there are other striker combinations, for instance: McCormack as the main striker with Murphy behind him, or Noel Hunt playing a role similar to Andy Keogh.
In a 4-1-2-1-2
------------Kenny
Byram-Lees-Peltier-Warnock
-----------Green
-------Austin-Murphy
--------McCormack
--------Diouf-Varney
The midfield and defence are obvious due to previous games. I have chosen the front three because Diouf can hold up the ball well, with McCormack or Varney playing off him, while Varney provides the most aerial threat and mobility next to the less than speedy Diouf.
Due to the lack of width and reliance on the full backs to get forward in the 4-1-2-1-2, the 4-2-3-1 is my preferred formation.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: Our Best Starting XI

Post by jjrgreeney »

Interesting team Si with some valid points, i have a different take on my best squadnot because i think yours is wrong infact it is still a very strong squad but just a difference in opinion.

I would go for a 4-3-2-1 with a narrow 2 behind the front player with the 2 behind willing to run the channels and create chances.

--------------------Kenny-------------------
Byram----Leeds---------Pearce---Warnock

---------Green------Murphy---------Austin

-----------Diouf/Hunt-----Mccormack---------
-----------------Smith/Poleon/Varney------

First of all i have gone with Pearce down to the fact i still believe he can be a class centre back for us he was fantastic when at Pompy and been touted for the prem at one point he just had a lack or games under Warnock due to him having Peltier as captain and Byram having such a strong season but if you look back at games such as the Everton game at home the lad was an absoloute Spartan.

I have gone for the midfield three With Greens work rate and willingness to sit infront of the back line it would allow our creative players such as murphy with his passing/set piece and shooting ability along with Austins brute force and Juggernaught style to help support the front line.

Diouf and Mccormack are both more than willing to run the channels and provide chances to the front line but positioned more central also to support the strikers when holding the ball up but are also extremly creative players and can chip in with goals. Noel Hunt also falls into this catogory for me but i would also put him up front.

the front three for me is basically down to what sort of opponent we would be playing all of the 3 selected off a completely different out put for me, Smiths height, Varneys work rate, and Poleons pace.

I know not all will agree but just a different formation idea :D
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

That's an interesting idea and I can definitely see what you're getting at. Would McCormack and Diouf have free roles and not be limited to the flanks?
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

SiMamu wrote:That's an interesting idea and I can definitely see what you're getting at. Would McCormack and Diouf have free roles and not be limited to the flanks?

yes more of free roles obviously when we do not have the ball it would be their jobs to support the defence get behind the ball and harrass defenders but when we do have the ball they can float in and about those little pockets and also run the channels or pull wide when required
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

RMcC had a free role yesterday and it paid off.
The Don
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by The Don »

At least 30% of all goals are scored by the interaction between two centre forwards, or to put it another way a team using just one up front will only score 2/3 of the goals of the same team with 2 up front. The difference between 2.2 goals a game and 1.6 goals a game in terms of points is a lot. For a team like us with an average squad the extra goals would make a big difference at the end of the season.

We can always take a striker off and block the midfield to close shop when we are happy. Starting with one up front limits our chances and giving the opposition too much respect isn't the behaviour of champions.

4-4-2.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Although I dislike seeing players play out of position, I might be tempted to play this team it could be more of a diamond with diouf at the tip and Austin anchoring.
Kenny
Peltier. Lees. Pearce. Warnock

Byram. Austin. Murphey. Diouf

Varney. McCormack

In term of balence I do hope poleon comes on, as we need a striker, that has the opposition centre backs scared of him getting in behind. For all varney & hunts work rate and mccormacks energy flicks and tricks. I feel they all forwards who need a couple of chances to score a goal & lack pace that would prevent teams playing a high line against us.
Fernandopartridge
Major Frank Buckley's monkey gland expert

Post by Fernandopartridge »

Nic wrote:RMcC had a free role yesterday and it paid off.
It didn't 'pay off' as we didn't score, but it looked promising.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

At least 30% of all goals are scored by the interaction between two centre forwards, or to put it another way a team using just one up front will only score 2/3 of the goals of the same team with 2 up front.
Source ??
What level does this data refer to ??
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Fernandopartridge wrote:
Nic wrote:RMcC had a free role yesterday and it paid off.
It didn't 'pay off' as we didn't score, but it looked promising.
Did you look at the DATE my post was done? :?