League Cup draw

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 972

Re: League Cup draw

Post by Deleted User 972 »

The way it was seeded we were never going to get a glamour tie. Il take doncaster, winnable game, put them in their place!
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Bogdan wrote:Sounds like it's down to whichever era you grew up in as to what team is most hated. Can't say I've met an unlikeable Liverpool fan yet, and, unlike Man U, their managers and most of their long-standing players are usually "good guys" too. If Liverpool becoming arrogant in the 70s is reason for dislike, what must we look like? :D
I think maybe Liverpool getting to play their last game of the 75-76 season ten days after QPR had played their last game, because Toshack had a Welsh international match against Yugoslavia, was when I remember people starting to dislike Liverpool. Especially remembering the troubles Leeds had only four years earlier, with the FA making it almost impossible to beat Wolves at Molineux (funnily enough, it was Wolves at Molineux who Liverpool beat to win that 76 title), it was particularly galling, as both QPR and Man United had played better football than Liverpool that season.

I think it was Gordon McQueen's comments after he and Joe Jordan had signed for United in 77-78, that first alerted us to an arrogance at Old Trafford. "Every player wants to play for Man Utd, and the rest are liars", I think he said. It wasn't so bad when he was winning League titles, as United went down, and then reaching European Finals, though?

I was in a Cheetham Hill hospital, as a teenager, in 1980, and surrounded by mature United fans. They were the nicest, gentlest, respectful fans I'd ever met. They told me all about Munich, and how they felt that week, and about George Best's standing ovation at Anfield after single-handedly beating them at Christmas in 67. I spent the next few months spending my YOP wages on United programmes from the 50s.

Fast forward to August 1993... I was on a train from Tring to Manchester to watch our newly-promoted Newcastle team play United on the second Saturday of the season. I've never met such a more football-ignorant bunch of tw@ts in my life. We'll thrash you 5-0 today, like we used to. But we've a better team now. Nah mate, they said in their home counties accents, Robert Lee's a Second Division player, Andy Cole, lightweight, Barry Venison, past it. Awful people.

I used to hate teams. Now I hate no team at all. I love football. I just hate certain fans. I particularly hate the Chelsea fans, with a passion, who held up Rafa Out flags as Chelsea were WINNING a major European trophy.

I like it here, though. You lot are all class blokes and lasses.
Last edited by Malcolm Stark on 08 Aug 2013, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I was going to mention when Gordon McQueen and Joe Jordan went to Man Utd, I do recall some aggro then, but it went off the wall when Cantona went there, I might be wrong, it might have been as bad in the 60s 70s and 80s, I just don't recall it and like it's been said we have had players from them, but the Cantona deal seemed to a telling point to me, it might have been also that we were Champions again and back in the top flight, for years we were in the wilderness and then it was ..... War, lol
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
dskimcbski
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by dskimcbski »

Donny's not too bad- no long journeys etc for the players to contend with. Defo a winnable game but as mentioned-watch Barn Door Billy bag a brace on his first meeting against us. :shock: :crazy: :silent:
'I'd rather be hated for being who I am, than loved for being someone I'm not'.
18longleeds
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by 18longleeds »

Think I read somewhere 16 of last 17 ties had been at home in league cup, now 16/18 and the other 2 being at Doncaster.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

18longleeds wrote:Think I read somewhere 16 of last 17 ties had been at home in league cup, now 16/18 and the other 2 being at Doncaster.
Damn it, we have no luck. :lol:
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

SMorientes wrote:
Bogdan wrote:Sounds like it's down to whichever era you grew up in as to what team is most hated. Can't say I've met an unlikeable Liverpool fan yet, and, unlike Man U, their managers and most of their long-standing players are usually "good guys" too.
In my experience the more likable scousers from the blue side of the city. I thought the team was likable in the days of alonso mascherano and torres et al but in recent times they've had far more pantomime villains: bellamy, suarez, carroll and more. I have disliked them and enjoyed seeing them struggle in the last few years, especially because I'm quite fond of everton.
If Liverpool becoming arrogant in the 70s is reason for dislike, what must we look like? :D
Yeah everyone knows we're the team other fans love!
I would like Everton myself, as they were the original owners of Anfield and the catholic club in Merseyside which was also very apparent growing up in Halifax as it was in Cork. Growing up with Irish parentage you learn who is who etc and who not to follow, Everton would have been my families choice but it was Leeds who were the team for me, maybe i just like being hated more than anything or just desire going against the grain as Leeds tend to do, a rebel club we are which fits me perfectly :D
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Malcolm Stark wrote: I like it here, though. You lot are all class blokes.
Quick, add lasses to the end of that before Pecky sees it ;)
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Aces wrote:I was going to mention when Gordon McQueen and Joe Jordan went to Man Utd, I do recall some aggro then, but it went off the wall when Cantona went there, I might be wrong, it might have been as bad in the 60s 70s and 80s, I just don't recall it and like it's been said we have had players from them, but the Cantona deal seemed to a telling point to me, it might have been also that we were Champions again and back in the top flight, for years we were in the wilderness and then it was ..... War, lol
I was a kid in the 70s, but I remember thinking that aggro just happened for the sake of aggro. It was usually just long haired glam rockers in nine inch platform boots kicking aimlessly at opposition fans. United were given a two match home game ban in 71-72 because an idiot threw a knife onto the pitch during the previous season. Leeds, of course, were given a four-match ban because of those pensioners invading the pitch at that West Brom game.

In the 80s, it got more sinister, and more scary. Fans no longer wore colours, but they carried lethal weapons.

One way to let police know you were not after trouble was to wear your scarf to games, but more often than not you were treated like scum. I don't know when the bitter hatred started between clubs. I mean, Everton and Liverpool hate each other now, yet in 84 and then 89, they were totally united at Wembley.

Perhaps the Liverpool hatred really started after Heysel, and so many clubs were denied European football, but arguably, that was also the fault of Uefa and Thatcher's government, eager to demonise all English football fans. John Smith had written to UEFA, telling them Heysel was not a fit stadium for a Final, but in no way am I excusing Liverpool fans' behaviour that night.

I think the United hatred is more to do with their fans, than the team, and didn't begin at any one point. It was accumulative over a number of years? Certainly the Cantona thing would have set a permanent ridge between yourselves and them, that's understandable... That was personal, but before then, it was just aggro?
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Malcolm Stark wrote: I like it here, though. You lot are all class blokes.
Quick, add lasses to the end of that before Pecky sees it ;)
Done!!! :D