Austin confirmed as captain

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
The Johnson
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Austin confirmed as captain

Post by The Johnson »

SMorientes wrote:Just had a look on here,

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/D ... 27,00.html

and it confirms that his disciplinary record last year was not bad at all. Only 37 fouls all season, from a central midfielder who played most of the games that season, and what's more, a midfielder with a reputation for being a tough tackler. Only 5 yellow cards and the one red as well. Becchio was only here half the season and he managed as many yellow cards and 150% that number of fouls. Norris, Brown, Varney and Warnock all had worse records. Even Tonge's isn't far off and he's not the sort of player who you'd say 'gets stuck in'.
Doesn't make Austin look reckless to me.
You have to remember though that the majority of people last season wouldn't stop going on about how Austin was tired after playing non-stop for a year. So if we go by that we have to assume that he wasn't up to speed for most of the season (not to mention the games he actually missed through injury.)

In my opinion (mainly based on pre-season things I saw and a few games from last year) his workrate, although great, often results in nothing and can lead to fouls or worse.

As I said right at the start though. I am sure he will do an adequate job and good luck to him, that doesn't stop me having serious reservations about the appointment.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Austin confirmed as captain

Post by SMorientes »

The Johnson wrote: You have to remember though that the majority of people last season wouldn't stop going on about how Austin was tired after playing non-stop for a year. So if we go by that we have to assume that he wasn't up to speed for most of the season (not to mention the games he actually missed through injury.)
Not sure I get what you mean there. Not being up to speed would make his disciplinary record worse, since his tackles would be later and more likely to be mis-timed. I think the 37 fouls thing amounts to a fraction over a foul per game he started, which is not bad at all, especially considering we were one of the 'dirtier' teams in the league.
In my opinion (mainly based on pre-season things I saw and a few games from last year) his workrate, although great, often results in nothing and can lead to fouls or worse.

As I said right at the start though. I am sure he will do an adequate job and good luck to him, that doesn't stop me having serious reservations about the appointment.
It's probably a feeling you get about him which I don't share, which discussion is unlikely to change. Just like Peltier makes me nervous even when he does things right and other people watch him and feel perfectly comfortable.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."