Austin confirmed as captain

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
MrBones1986
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Re: Austin confirmed as captain

Post by MrBones1986 »

THE BEAST! Very happy about his appointment of captain!
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

MrBones1986 wrote:THE BEAST! Very happy about his appointment of captain!
Agreed! :thumbup:
cadillacjukebox
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by cadillacjukebox »

If it means he plays as he did on Sunday, then long may his captaincy continue. He was awesome.

I liked BMD's comments that watching him train, he "trains like every session is his last". This is what we need from every player, but especially from a Captain. If we can't get a captain to split himself in two from Scotland anymore, then Jamaica will do just fine.
SMorientes

Post by SMorientes »

I want to know why the two people who don't approve of this decision are of that opinion? Neither of them seem keen to explain it which is a bit weird, no-one usually refrains from expressing their opinion too much on here, even if it will be disagreed with by the majority.
Do you two know summat we don't!?
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Well, in return, I can't say I've seen many actual arguments for his appointment in this topic, people's posts have mostly been "I agree/he leads by example", in the light of a good game at Leicester. What are the many boxes he ticks for captaincy, in your opinion?
SMorientes

Post by SMorientes »

I think he appears to be serious, grounded, considered and have a good footballing brain, which are some of the most important attributes for captaincy.
He's a strong player physically and mentally and he gets all over the pitch. I haven't seen him interact with the other squad members socially but he seems to me like he would command respect from them without being a tyrant or anything. He's a good age for a captain, not too young or old, but experienced at international level.
This is just what I can see from the outside. McDermott can see far more, watching him work with the team, in the dressing room even when he isn't eligible to play, working hard on the training ground etc. And if he can see all that and sees him as a good captain, then I'd say the impression I get of Austin must not be too far from the one McDermott can see.

I can't really see what boxes he doesn't tick. Doesn't seem passionate enough about the club? Doesn't seem vocal enough? Too inconsistent?
I wouldn't agree with any of those assessments but I'm just trying to work out what problem there is with there
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
The Johnson
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by The Johnson »

OK, but just remember, you asked.

All of the times I have seen him play, he has come across as a reckless player who rarely makes the right decision both with and without the ball. He may have a high workrate but often that just leads to a poor tackle, and in some cases a booking and/or a red card. I'm not sure we should leave the leadership of our team to somebody who is quite reckless and, often, can't even make the right decision for himself. If the role of the captain is to marshall the troops on the field then I feel it will take away from his natural game style because it will add a whole lot of pressure to the mental aspects of his game on the pitch, which it seems he struggles with at the best of times.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

I was a bloody great captain for my Sunday team, the most capped player who also went on to be our most successful manager, surprisingly. No, I'm being honest, there's no conceit here. Did I lead by example? Well I did with my work-rate and commitment and positive encouragement, but I have always been one of the worst :D players in that team - spanning over 25 years btw - so I always tried to tell my team mates to 'do as I say, not as I do'. If Leeds have a captain who can lead by example as well as ability then how can there be anyone better? Austin's the leader, but people like Peltier are decent stand-ins.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Actually, I don't agree with most of TJ's reasoning behind it, now he's put it into detail. :D I can see some of the reasoning behind it, and last season Austin was by no means a consistent performer. I do get the feeling he's progressed over the summer though, but I hope we settle into a constant formation that works, so that he can benefit from a clear assignment on the pitch, rather than just a generic "fixer" in the middle.

And I don't disagree with the Austin appointment in an "oh, no, terrible decision" kind of way, and I trust McDermott to know best out of all of us, I just think the approval ratings it gets is largely sentimental and he became a serious candidate through lack of contenders. I have no doubt he is a great person and very reliable character in real life, but I think the captain should be able to rally the team around him through a bit more than crunching tackles across the pitch, and I've never really seen Austin be very vocal, I can't see him deliver some inspiring advice and putting order among the troops when they fall out of line. It might be that McDermott thinks no one else can do that, and so we should at least take advantage of someone who always goes about his game in a way that can be seen as an inspiring never-give-up type attitude, but I think with Austin it's purely the way he plays and enjoys football, rather than a conviction that it's the way everyone should do it. Like I say, not something against the appointment necessarily, I just think we're a bit misguided as to what an obvious appointment it was.
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

Bogdan wrote:Well, in return, I can't say I've seen many actual arguments for his appointment in this topic, people's posts have mostly been "I agree/he leads by example", in the light of a good game at Leicester. What are the many boxes he ticks for captaincy, in your opinion?

For me the captain is more of a role model rather than someone who directs the team, we have a manager on the sidelines who will soon bark his orders if he sees something he isn't happy with.

You only have to see the look on Austin face, to notice just how pumped up he is, totally focused on the game. His work rate way above average and isn't afraid to get stuck in. Passion : :thumbup:

Too many players today, like to straighten their hair when being subbed off, because they know the cameras are on them, or smile after making a silly mistake, and moan when a pass wasn't to their feet, instead of running after the ball trying to win it back (few points I noticed in during the Leicester game). :eh:

If I had the choice of a captain for Leeds, I would choose someone who I wanted the other players to look up to and respect by his actions on the pitch, lead by example.

MOT