Smith and Cantona.

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Smith and Cantona.

Post by SiMamu »

rigger wrote:
He had the choice of joining a few clubs but chose to go to the dark side.
Did he ??
I thought only ManUre came in at the time ...

It's my understanding that Arsenal were the favourites to sign him.
Arsenal signed Reyes and van Persie instead.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

SiMamu wrote:Man Utd were the only club willing to pay the money up front, rather than instalments. Plus, apparently we approached Scum about signing him.

On Cantona, allegedly when Lee Chapman got injured, he took on more than just Chapman's goalscoring duties. Apparently this chant was around back in the day:
He's French, he's flash, he's shagging Leslie Ash
Cantona! Cantona!
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... Leslie-Ash
Cheers for the link, I remember the rumours, but if I recall the real angst amongst most Leeds fans, was that he went to Man U very cheaply when clearly he was a top player, who turned out to be an amazing player, who if my memory is correct, was the main reason why they won the title after 26 yrs of not doing so, they then won it again and again with him. Is this the reason why, or is it because he allegedly banged another players wife?
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Aces wrote:
SiMamu wrote:Man Utd were the only club willing to pay the money up front, rather than instalments. Plus, apparently we approached Scum about signing him.

On Cantona, allegedly when Lee Chapman got injured, he took on more than just Chapman's goalscoring duties. Apparently this chant was around back in the day:
He's French, he's flash, he's shagging Leslie Ash
Cantona! Cantona!
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... Leslie-Ash
Cheers for the link, I remember the rumours, but if I recall the real angst amongst most Leeds fans, was that he went to Man U very cheaply when clearly he was a top player, who turned out to be an amazing player, who if my memory is correct, was the main reason why they won the title after 26 yrs of not doing so, they then won it again and again with him. Is this the reason why, or is it because he allegedly banged another players wife?
Once spoke to wilkinson about it he categorically denied, the rumours ( you might say he would do)... He demanded a transfer after being left out versus arsenal ... We won 3 nil I think. He wanted a move to one of 3 clubs, Liverpool, arsenal or ..... Wilkinson was scared, he might jack in, he had already sort of gone into retirement in France. We asked about Irvin, having devided david batty wasnt a right back; the rest is as they say.... Was A crock of number 2s really. Without that transfer, history could have been so different. That and the batty transfer never should have happened, two very different players, who were loved by the fans.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I personally loved Smithy, as did we all at one time, when he left it wasn't his fault, if the club hadn't been in financial melt down, he would have stayed forever IMO. Once he was gone, Man U coming in for him, he must have found it hard to say no to them, he still had ambition to play for England and playing for them his chances of doing so would have been enhanced. I still think fondly of him, that young kid that came out of nowhere and did the business for us.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Wilfred Martin
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Wilfred Martin »

Maybe we should start a thread of which players the members would like to see on the header who do not yet appear. Those with the most positive mentions could then be elected to the "wall of fame".
We're on our way to....
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

isrodger wrote: We asked about Irvin, having devided david batty wasnt a right back; the rest is as they say.... Was A crock of number 2s really. Without that transfer, history could have been so different. That and the batty transfer never should have happened, two very different players, who were loved by the fans.
Neither was Denis Irwin - he was a left back.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Wilfred Martin wrote:Maybe we should start a thread of which players the members would like to see on the header who do not yet appear. Those with the most positive mentions could then be elected to the "wall of fame".
I was just wondering, who decides this?
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I have just seen Diouf on there, the wall of fame, I have no real thoughts on this, other than confusion.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Aces wrote:I have just seen Diouf on there, the wall of fame, I have no real thoughts on this, other than confusion.
It's not a hall of fame, I think NW meant it slightly tongue-in-cheek. They're just representations of characters at the club, past and present, with a slightly humorous twist to them, sometimes less so, sometimes more so. Sheepy comes up with most of them, although some names are suggestions from forum members. There's no clear process for it and it's not supposed to be taken too seriously, but they are somewhat meant as a form of respect to those players too, so we avoid or pull out controversial figures sometimes.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

SiMamu wrote:
isrodger wrote: We asked about Irvin, having devided david batty wasnt a right back; the rest is as they say.... Was A crock of number 2s really. Without that transfer, history could have been so different. That and the batty transfer never should have happened, two very different players, who were loved by the fans.
Neither was Denis Irwin - he was a left back.
Now then young man I will put that down to inexperience! Irvin was a right back who played left back for scum, as they had Paul Parker, then Neville from memory.