The Leeds United image thread

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The Leeds United image thread

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Mutual respect.

PGS
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PGS »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Image
Great picture, do you know what year it is taken?
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I would guess thats mid to late 60s
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

PGS wrote: Great picture, do you know what year it is taken?
I'd have thought it was the mid 1960's, I'll try & get the real year. It's how my first memories of the ground were.

You went in through the turnstiles you see by the low wall. They were the only turnstiles for the Gelderd. The earth bank was all but too steep to climb up so you went on the terrace at pitch level and walked up the terracing. The Lowfields had turnstiles all along the road. You got in the Shed through this bottom Elland Road corner. I can't actually remember there being a turnstile at the Lowfields road end, but some others may remember different.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
PGS wrote: Great picture, do you know what year it is taken?
I'd have thought it was the mid 1960's, I'll try & get the real year. It's how my first memories of the ground were.

You went in through the turnstiles you see by the low wall. They were the only turnstiles for the Gelderd. The earth bank was all but too steep to climb up so you went on the terrace at pitch level and walked up the terracing. The Lowfields had turnstiles all along the road. You got in the Shed through this bottom Elland Road corner. I can't actually remember there being a turnstile at the Lowfields road end, but some others may remember different.
I agree, mid 1960's. The grass bank wasn't too steep to climb up as I did it when I climbed over the wall at the bottom and got in for free. :D It was an evening game v Liverpool. I did send a Postal Order to the club with the 4/6d. entrance fee though. :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Picture Gallery

Post by phil62 »

Green Boi wrote:
Frankie wrote:As an ex professional photographer, I am partial to a good 'snap', so have taken it upon myself to try to start a picture gallery, as a place to share great footballing images. Here is my first offering:

THE GOOD

THE SAD

and THE UGLY

The one and only Alan Smith.
Oh, how much I loved this player. He was a star which as quickly kindled as quickly burned :cry:
Never ever understood the hatred shown towards Alan Smith. He was a model professional, Leeds United through and through, and never gave anything less than his absolute best. So he joined Man Utd - so what? They were a great side and he was making himself financially secure for life. Still makes my blood boil that they wouldn't allow him to play in Gary Kelly's testimonial because of the mindless idiots who vilified him at the time. Get over it - football is a bloody game.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

johnh wrote:
I agree, mid 1960's. The grass bank wasn't too steep to climb up as I did it when I climbed over the wall at the bottom and got in for free. :D It was an evening game v Liverpool. I did send a Postal Order to the club with the 4/6d. entrance fee though. :shock:

I can remember that the open banking was there against Rangers in 1968. Pretty sure that was one of the last games I remember before the roof went on. I remember once the roof went on the capacity in The Gelderd was around 18500.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

PGS wrote:
Couple of other points of interest. At the other side of Lowfields Road there is the cricket pitch which was behind a pub (whose name I can't remember). This cricket pitch became a football pitch and if you look carefully you can see goalposts at the Lowfields Road end. The ER training pitches can be seen at the bottom of the photo. The pitch on the right is where I played against Don Revie. I played for a couple of seasons for Leeds United Supporters Club in the Leeds Sunday League Premier Division. We played on the pitch on the right of the photo but got moved as the club said the pitch was getting too much use. We moved to the pitch, formerly the cricket pitch, shown in the photo. I think this is when it changed from Cricket to football. Leeds United 'A' team had a team in the Yorkshire League and played their home games on the training pitch. The photo must have been taken well into the season as the pitch is well worn.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

PGS wrote:
How I remember it when i first went in 1966/67.
Work on the Geldered End started in April 1968 to build the roofed stand, only took 6 weeks and the pitch moved about 10yards North.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.