Scott Wootton signs from Man Utd

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 2

Re: Scott Wootton signs from Man Utd

Post by Deleted User 2 »

isrodger wrote:Is my observation not valid? Just because I comment on an aspect of our transfer dealings as a negative you appear to just shoot down the comment.
It isn't valid, because you have no information whatsoever to judge to what degree his agent has served him in comparison to how well our CEOs have served the club, because you know absolutely nothing about the terms of the contract. I don't want you to be over the moon about it, just not be nitpicking into every single detail to find a negative. You're now taking exception with a deal done this summer by generalising based on a number of sales we made under a completely different regime, to make it sound like all of those apply to the quality of the contract we've agreed with this player, contract which, again, you know nothing about.

If you think you're being special by "expressing an opinion upfront" as opposed to others allegedly "blandly applauding" signings, well done to you, sir, I promise never to take issue with your foretelling opinions on transfers again, as you are obviously much more knowledgeable on inside details of all our deals. :thumbup:
DaveH
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by DaveH »

Probably sign of the times on how excited people are getting about this signing. After all he is a youngster who is still yet to be proven, dont get me wrong could end up to be a brilliant player and even maybe years to come leading Leeds as captain in the premiership, who knows because at the moment and like most people we do not know how good he is or as to what level he is at, so again whether he is good enough to step straight into a 1st team place only time will tell.

The only thing I would say on above is I (we) all trust Mcdermott and he without doubt would have done his homework on the lad.

I am positive about this signing though and hope will develop into a good player for us but still think we need a more seasoned CB plus the winger and forward we have all been demanding and hopefully is now the end of the McCormack situation.

The clock is ticking and we need a couple of players in, I think we may see a couple of loan players coming in nearer to end of transfer window.
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

Reading from the forum that NW posted view from M** U fans they do speak highly of him but the reason for him moving on is the fact that they have better options ahead of him at this moment in time with Jones Smalling and the young lad Keane which in fairness are all going to be top class centre backs from what i have seen from them so if he is even close to their standard I am more than happy with the signing.
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

I mentioned on here having seen him play v Chelsea in that match, and I genuinely said at the time that the lad looked a decent player until two pretty bad mistakes which they would make him a scapegoat for. They did. In the end, for me, it is whether I trust the manager's judgement or not, as said above. Well personally, I do, we've got a good signing and my reason for saying that, in addition to the small evidence I have in seeing him play, is that the manager thinks so. Otherwise he wouldn't have bought him.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I do hope you are all right and the lad does become a Leeds ledgo as the years go on. Thinking about it really then, if he is that good and has the amount of potential people think, then I would imagine a few clubs must have gone in for him and as we all know, Leeds cant present the best of financial packages to the player, can only think the manager has promised him regular first team football, do we think he will step in as a CB, maybe he has plans for him as a FB ?

Again we dont know the ins and outs of the fees involved but understand his former team stand to receive a big % of any sell on but if he does have that amount of potential, why has there been no 'fees up front' from any other Championship team and again we know most of them have more money than us! Sorry my glass half empty again! but last of my negatives on the signing, good luck to the lad and as said before, hopefully will become a future Leeds ledg maybe captaining the team one day and lifting a few trophies.........must stop taking those midday naps at my age :)
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

We could play 3-5-2, you know ...

Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

Bogdan wrote:
isrodger wrote:Is my observation not valid? Just because I comment on an aspect of our transfer dealings as a negative you appear to just shoot down the comment.
It isn't valid, because you have no information whatsoever to judge to what degree his agent has served him in comparison to how well our CEOs have served the club, because you know absolutely nothing about the terms of the contract. I don't want you to be over the moon about it, just not be nitpicking into every single detail to find a negative. You're now taking exception with a deal done this summer by generalising based on a number of sales we made under a completely different regime, to make it sound like all of those apply to the quality of the contract we've agreed with this player, contract which, again, you know nothing about.

If you think you're being special by "expressing an opinion upfront" as opposed to others allegedly "blandly applauding" signings, well done to you, sir, I promise never to take issue with your foretelling opinions on transfers again, as you are obviously much more knowledgeable on inside details of all our deals. :thumbup:
Surely isrodger has a valid point based on observation? It won't be based on all the facts, but how many facts do we get told at Leeds, to base our opinions purely on all the facts? We don't get told the full truth, that's a fact:)
And in fairness 3 year contract isn't ideal, if we bought this player to develop over the next year or two, once Leeds puts the time and effort in, the player will be able to force a transfer at a reduced fee. But lets hope for the best :thumbup:

I'll hold my hands up, I know very little about the player, I hear good and bad about him. :? I trust BM judgement, just not sure this was his 1st choice CB.

Wish him luck and i'm back in Leeds soon so might get to see him play :D
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

rigger wrote:We could play 3-5-2, you know ...

quite like that formation/team with Byram at RB/RWB
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Nesslin wrote:Surely isrodger has a valid point based on observation?
That, based on the single aspect of the length of the contract, the player that hasn't played a game yet has got a better deal out of this than the club? No, I don't see how that's a valid point.
Nesslin wrote:but how many facts do we get told at Leeds, to base our opinions purely on all the facts? We don't get told the full truth, that's a fact:
Another lovely generalisation that the majority like to jump on board with, based on the Bates years, but little else in the current reality. What is a fact is that football fans, and Leeds ones in particular, expect to be told intricate financial details from everything regarding the club, when many of them are just not suitable for the public domain. See, for example, the age-old outrage about transfers being made for "undisclosed fees", allegedly as a mark of unjustified secrecy by whoever's in charge at Leeds.
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

isrodger wrote:Looking at our best 11 (& we are still sadly lacking on the left flank & to a lesser degree with a goal poacher upfront) - I am starting to think the balance of the side would be best served by playing Byram out of position at right midfield. Peltier to me has the makings of a very good full - although his forward play / Delivery is poor.
That last sentence is why Byram will play right back. In the diamond it is important that a fullback be dangerous in the final third. Warnock and Byram certainly are, but Peltier is a disaster, and we have talent at midfield.

When Byram returns he will pay right back and Peltier wil drop to the bench.