Scott Wootton signs from Man Utd

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
greatwhiteshark
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: Scott Wootton signs from Man Utd

Post by greatwhiteshark »

I'm really delighted with this signing too. Heard great things from scum fans in the know. I've only ever seen him play in a League cup game for scum against Chelsea and he didn't have the best of times in that one (conceded a penalty to lose the game :? ) but he looked pretty solid and as previously mentioned, very good in the air which is exactly what we need to help defend set pieces and crosses. Massive potential so definitely an investment for the future as well as someone who can quite easily slot into the starting lineup. My kind of signing!

A massive step up for the young lad as well ;) Welcome Woots! MOT
Last edited by greatwhiteshark on 20 Aug 2013, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
CrisPeacock
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CrisPeacock »

greatwhiteshark wrote: I've only ever see him play in a League cup game for scum against Chelsea...
me too

really good news :thumbup:
young central defender (1.88m) is exactly what we need now and for the future...I hope he is (will be) good.
LUFCTALK Prediction League Winner 2014-2015
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

isrodger wrote: One gripe, why another 3 yr deal that takes him to just after his 24 th birthday.
Took you a while to find a fault with it, mate... :D

Of course, if we'd given him 4 years and in a season's time discovered he would pants, it would be "why, oh bloody why did we commit to paying a wage for this guy for so many years?!" :D
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

greatwhiteshark wrote: Welcome Woots! MOT
I think you'll find that doesn't fit in with the official club policy regard diminutives. In this case, "Wooteh" :P
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Great to sign a promising young player in a position of need. However I can't help wondering what happened to the 1 out before 1 comes in position we were in? Does this mean that someone's going? Or was that a smokescreen?
greatwhiteshark
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by greatwhiteshark »

Bogdan wrote:
greatwhiteshark wrote: Welcome Woots! MOT
I think you'll find that doesn't fit in with the official club policy regard diminutives. In this case, "Wooteh" :P

Haha! Let's hope WOOT doesn't live up to the online acronym for 'Waste of our time'

Great name though. All those o's remind me of clean sheets :D
SMorientes

Post by SMorientes »

Bogdan wrote:
isrodger wrote: One gripe, why another 3 yr deal that takes him to just after his 24 th birthday.
Took you a while to find a fault with it, mate... :D

Of course, if we'd given him 4 years and in a season's time discovered he would pants, it would be "why, oh bloody why did we commit to paying a wage for this guy for so many years?!" :D
:lol: also isrodger, your gripe assumes contract length is ultimately down to our board's stipulation, when in fact, I imagine a player and his agent have a considerable say in how long they wish to sign for.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
SMorientes

Post by SMorientes »

Costy wrote:Great to sign a promising young player in a position of need. However I can't help wondering what happened to the 1 out before 1 comes in position we were in? Does this mean that someone's going? Or was that a smokescreen?
My first reaction was similar, but Mcdermott said a couple of weeks ago that things might change soon and the one in one out thing might have a bit more room for manoeuvre. Hope that's the case.

I don't know loads about this player but it looks a promising move. Most of all I'm impressed at the fans' reactions I've seen, pretty much unanimously positive, no grumbles about him coming from scum, not too many problems with his young age and inexperience. Such a change to the reactions to all our signings last summer when we would've picked fault with anyone.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Looks like a good signing on paper, looking forward to seeing him play for us. Good luck to the lad.

Lets hope he follows in the footsteps of Giles and Strachan!
Pecky10
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Pecky10 »

Sheepy wrote:Looks like a good signing on paper
Aidy White looks good on paper, it's grass he struggles with :D

I'm a bit on two minds about this signing, one for the future is all well and good but our problems at the back are very much in the present. Maybe some competition at the back will sharpen a few people up. Definitely falls into the "BMc's a great scout, wouldn't sign him unless there's something about him" category for me. Get him on the bench Sat and starting at Donny and lets see what he's got :thumbup:

On the OI-OO policy, I don't imagine he's on huge wages and could just be we've got a loan deal sorted out for one or two of our young pros to balance things up. One thing's for sure, he'll be on a lot less than the centre-halves that we've been linked with before - which would require some more significant wage shifting.