Scott Wootton signs from Man Utd

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Scott Wootton signs from Man Utd

Post by isrodger »

Bogdan wrote:
isrodger wrote: One gripe, why another 3 yr deal that takes him to just after his 24 th birthday.
Took you a while to find a fault with it, mate... :D

Of course, if we'd given him 4 years and in a season's time discovered he would pants, it would be "why, oh bloody why did we commit to paying a wage for this guy for so many years?!" :D
Bogdan - its common sense in terms of him & Murphy- Seriously your CEO of Leeds united you have just purchased two players for £1m - signings which you believe will have residual value. If you give them a three year deal they are free to leave for nothing at the end of it. Don't you back your strategy and give them four year plus deals, alternatively give them two year deals - at least you get a fee if you renew their contracts. The club are certainly in a much stronger position to dictate the terms of their deals prior to them being established championship players coming into their prime. Its not like the pairing are 30 something journeymen is it - they are supposed to be development signings. I said the same thing ironically re Lees 5 yr deal - which should have been 4 yrs. We are storing up an issue for ourselves further down the line -Snodgrass, Gradel, Johnson, Howson & Clayton all had deals lapsing just after their 24th birthday & we paid the price in terms of lost revenue as a result. Seriously - Do you think Daniel Levy would allow the two biggest signing the club has made in years to be able to walk out for free 3 yrs down the line when there a better option. This is one part of our whole transfer/contract strategy that needs to be addressed.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

SMorientes wrote:
Bogdan wrote:
isrodger wrote: One gripe, why another 3 yr deal that takes him to just after his 24 th birthday.

Of course, if we'd given him 4 years and in a season's time discovered he would pants, it would be "why, oh bloody why did we commit to paying a wage for this guy for so many years?!" :D
:lol: also isrodger, your gripe assumes contract length is ultimately down to our board's stipulation, when in fact, I imagine a player and his agent have a considerable say in how long they wish to sign for.
Yes he does and the agent in the case of Johnson, Snodgrass, Clayton, Howson, Gradel, Wotton, Lees & Murphy have done a much better job protecting their clients interests than Harvey/Haigh whoever have done in protecting the interests of Leeds United.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

isrodger wrote:
SMorientes wrote:
Bogdan wrote:

:lol: also isrodger, your gripe assumes contract length is ultimately down to our board's stipulation, when in fact, I imagine a player and his agent have a considerable say in how long they wish to sign for.
Yes he does and the agent in the case of Johnson, Snodgrass, Clayton, Howson, Gradel, Wotton, Lees & Murphy have done a much better job protecting their clients interests than Harvey/Haigh whoever have done in protecting the interests of Leeds United.
Can understand 3 year deals from the players point of view, those with ambition are the type we want but their hope to one day play in the Prem is probably why they will only sign a 3 year deal. If we go up in the next two years they can negotiate an appropriate pay rise and not be stuck on championship money or they can move on in the instance of us not getting up there.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

isrodger wrote:Yes he does and the agent in the case of Johnson, Snodgrass, Clayton, Howson, Gradel, Wotton, Lees & Murphy have done a much better job protecting their clients interests than Harvey/Haigh whoever have done in protecting the interests of Leeds United.
So, without knowing ANY of the terms of the contract apart from its length, you have concluded, without a shadow of a doubt, that this deal benefits the player "much" more than Leeds? Come on, mate, give it a break for once, we're back into listing players from 3 years ago just for the sake of one puny argument because you can't just take it at face value and accept it as a good deal. As per usual.
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

Bogdan wrote:
isrodger wrote:Yes he does and the agent in the case of Johnson, Snodgrass, Clayton, Howson, Gradel, Wotton, Lees & Murphy have done a much better job protecting their clients interests than Harvey/Haigh whoever have done in protecting the interests of Leeds United.
So, without knowing ANY of the terms of the contract apart from its length, you have concluded, without a shadow of a doubt, that this deal benefits the player "much" more than Leeds? Come on, mate, give it a break for once, we're back into listing players from 3 years ago just for the sake of one puny argument because you can't just take it at face value and accept it as a good deal. As per usual.

Who is to say it is just a three year deal? it could be a three year deal with an option from Leeds United to extend it to a further one. and no doubt if he has a decent season this season i know Bmc isnt stupid and i am getting really positive vibes from the board that they trust his judgment and they will pen wim down onto a contract extension.

For me this looks like a typical Bmc signing young hungry and full of ambition i havent seen too much on the lad but from what i have heard he is what we are looking for maybe not experienced but in terms of his strong points and ability it is what we have been lacking.
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What their fans think of the transfer.

Press Here
Winner of the Europa League
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Will be interested to see who McDermott decides makes his best defence now. In a month's time he should have his mind made up, maybe:

Byram - Wootton - Pearce - Warnock
With Peltier deputising for Byram whilst he gets fit of course.

It will tell us a lot about how much BMc rates the new lad to see how quickly he makes it into the first XI, and which of our 2 current centre backs makes way for him will tell a story as well.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

Bogdan wrote:
I am commenting based on what has been reported. Have we not had a issue in our recent past of players running down their contracts? Is my observation not valid? Just because I comment on an aspect of our transfer dealings as a negative you appear to just shoot down the comment. Wotton - and lets face it we don't know if he is good, bad or indifferent as a player - has been purchased on the basis that he will improve & consequently his value should increase, therefore in negotiating his contract, should we not aspire to have deals ceasing at a timing in our favour. Just because I am not 'over the moon' every time we sign a player & comment on the pro's & cons, I am negative as usual. This time last year, I was perceived as overly negative because I felt the signings of Green, Norris, Varney & Gray were not of the standard required to gain us promotion, had no resale value, and were probably squad players for a promotion seeking team at best. Someone even commented, cant you be happy we have signed 3 players in 48 hrs - well sorry no - I felt they weren't of the required standard then & I don't think they are now. I said the same thing about Tonge in January. Personally, I am happy with the signings of Smith, Murphy & Wootton -they represent a change in direction re our transfer policy which I believe is positive - they may all yet prove to be disasters, but on paper they all appear to have potential to develop.

IMO - Whilst Wotton may not initially appear to be an ideal acquisition, as a result of our lack of experience at the heart of our defence; given we appear to be treading water this year and building for next season, he is probably a better option than the likes of Greer. Finally, as I have said before, I think the circa £700k pa we are paying Noel Hunt probably could have been channelled elsewhere to better effect - from the little I have seen of him I don't think he is as good as McCormack who in my opinion plays in his position; I am not on the lads back, I hope he turns into a fantastic signing, but as with all signings ultimately we will have to wait & see. At least however, I express an opinion upfront - rather than blandly applauding every signing, on the basis 'he is a good signing because NW/BMC knows him from the past'.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

SMorientes wrote:Will be interested to see who McDermott decides makes his best defence now. In a month's time he should have his mind made up, maybe:

Byram - Wootton - Pearce - Warnock
With Peltier deputising for Byram whilst he gets fit of course.

It will tell us a lot about how much BMc rates the new lad to see how quickly he makes it into the first XI, and which of our 2 current centre backs makes way for him will tell a story as well.
Looking at our best 11 (& we are still sadly lacking on the left flank & to a lesser degree with a goal poacher upfront) - I am starting to think the balance of the side would be best served by playing Byram out of position at right midfield. Peltier to me has the makings of a very good full - although his forward play / Delivery is poor. As regards Wootton, his partner has swung from Lees to Pearce based purely on the first three games.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Dispute On LUFC Talk About GOOD News, version number 72.4 :P

I've not heard any bland applause for the signing either.