Scott Wootton signs from Man Utd

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Scott Wootton signs from Man Utd

Post by birkybullufc »

USA for Leeds wrote:
isrodger wrote:Looking at our best 11 (& we are still sadly lacking on the left flank .
We have Aidy White. :thumbup:
Follow the cause not the leaders.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Bogdan wrote:
isrodger wrote:Is my observation not valid? Just because I comment on an aspect of our transfer dealings as a negative you appear to just shoot down the comment.
It isn't valid, because you have no information whatsoever to judge to what degree his agent has served him in comparison to how well our CEOs have served the club, because you know absolutely nothing about the terms of the contract. I don't want you to be over the moon about it, just not be nitpicking into every single detail to find a negative. You're now taking exception with a deal done this summer by generalising based on a number of sales we made under a completely different regime, to make it sound like all of those apply to the quality of the contract we've agreed with this player, contract which, again, you know nothing about.
. :thumbup:
The information I have about this and the Murphy deal is the reported 3 yr contract as reported on the official site. That is the basis I have made my observation. My observation based on the reported facts, and are probably as valid as a comment of "young& hungry" (apologies anyone who used), when all we know actually is he is young, and he may now have the money and profile to do some proper damage in the nightclubs of Leeds! I thought the purpose of this site was intelligent debate, but yet again, any opinion that differs to your own is dismissed as invalid. I have illustrated the point I was making with numerous examples, where the benefit of a player coming to the end of his contract after his 24th birthday, has resulted in us being unable to secure the players services for an extended period. Whilst I applaud the new regime tact in transfer strategy; on the face of it, it would appear the players representatives are still optimising the length of their clients deals in order to potentially apply the maximum degree of leverage when renegotiating next time round. This may appear to be nitpicking, and yes it is, but it's something our CEO is paid to do.
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

Bogdan wrote:
Nesslin wrote:Surely isrodger has a valid point based on observation?
That, based on the single aspect of the length of the contract, the player that hasn't played a game yet has got a better deal out of this than the club? No, I don't see how that's a valid point.
Nesslin wrote:but how many facts do we get told at Leeds, to base our opinions purely on all the facts? We don't get told the full truth, that's a fact:
Another lovely generalisation that the majority like to jump on board with, based on the Bates years, but little else in the current reality. What is a fact is that football fans, and Leeds ones in particular, expect to be told intricate financial details from everything regarding the club, when many of them are just not suitable for the public domain. See, for example, the age-old outrage about transfers being made for "undisclosed fees", allegedly as a mark of unjustified secrecy by whoever's in charge at Leeds.
We do love generalisation :D

I personally believe everyone should be judged by their own actions, to compare GFH with Ken Bates is unfair anyway you look at it. Anyone will look good after Bates, but this doesn't mean they are good. We should only judge GFH by their actions alone. Like most businesses and maybe more so in football, we are only told what they wish to tell us, could be lies could be the truth, who really knows :?: I don't think this changes my views on people if they lie or not, as i'll make up my own mind about that, and judge them on their actions alone. :thumbup:

MOT
Barney
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Barney »

Bogdan wrote:
Nesslin wrote:Surely isrodger has a valid point based on observation?
That, based on the single aspect of the length of the contract, the player that hasn't played a game yet has got a better deal out of this than the club? No, I don't see how that's a valid point.
Nesslin wrote:but how many facts do we get told at Leeds, to base our opinions purely on all the facts? We don't get told the full truth, that's a fact:
Another lovely generalisation that the majority like to jump on board with, based on the Bates years, but little else in the current reality. What is a fact is that football fans, and Leeds ones in particular, expect to be told intricate financial details from everything regarding the club, when many of them are just not suitable for the public domain. See, for example, the age-old outrage about transfers being made for "undisclosed fees", allegedly as a mark of unjustified secrecy by whoever's in charge at Leeds.
I've read through the trail of this thread and find it strange.....ISR has griped (only a little) about the length of contract given and pointed out, quite validly IMO, how this might be a slightly flawed contract strategy. Why the need to jump on this point and labour the hell out of it?
We all have our opinions and are entitled to express them on this forum and also entitled to counter or disagree with fellow forumers opinions...I've had my fair share of these disagreements myself. ;)
However, it appears to me, as an outside observer to this disagreement that Bogdan, you are just waiting for any chance to have a go at ISR's posts and selecting one or two lines (possibly even out of context at times) as an excuse to have a go at him.
I've no particular issue with Wooton being handed a 3 year contract but nor do I see a problem with anyone questioning the merits or otherwise of such a decision. ISR has articulated his reasoning for him having an issue with the length of contract and pointed out previous examples of where these types of contracts have seen us lose out on potential transfer fees and/or weaken our negotiating position when discussing contract renewals/extensions with players in the past. What is the big deal with this point? Why jump on it as if it is a ridiculous or invalid point?
It's almost like it's become personal rather than actually in reply to a specific post.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

People are making 'points' about things they actually have v little information on, therefore that 'point' is indeed not valid, it's just a theory and not a fact. If someone wants to criticise this transfer then dive in, but griping about something of which the full facts aren't known seems pointless and near miserable for the sake of it.

If anyone is making any personal comments or misconstruing any comments as being personal, then that is their choice. We've just signed a young, potentially good player from the Premier champions, and we're a Championship club, and some people are complaining that it's 'only' a 3 year contract. Blimey.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:People are making 'points' about things they actually have v little information on, therefore that 'point' is indeed not valid, it's just a theory and not a fact. If someone wants to criticise this transfer then dive in, but griping about something of which the full facts aren't known seems pointless and near miserable for the sake of it.

If anyone is making any personal comments or misconstruing any comments as being personal, then that is their choice. We've just signed a young, potentially good player from the Premier champions, and we're a Championship club, and some people are complaining that it's 'only' a 3 year contract. Blimey.
We know according to the official site both Murphy & Wottoon signed 3 yr deals - fact. Both are 24 when there current deals lapse - Fact. Tom lees signed a 5 yr deal - he is 24 when his deal lapses - Fact. Snodgrass, gradel, howson, clayton, Johnson's deals all lapsed when they were 24 - Fact.

I don't want to labour the point further, but my points are more factual than a comment he is " young & hungry" when he might actually be " young and thirsty"!!! :lol:
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

With complete respect, you have been griping about the contract length being only three years, that is the fact of the matter. You/all of us, know nothing about the negotiations, the deal details or how hard the club has worked to get him, it does seem that you want to criticise the board just for the sake of it, for signing players in a manner which you don't fully approve of. If I'm wrong or I'm the only one thinking that then I humbly apologise. I'm not talking about any other player transfers, just this one.
Last edited by Deleted User 130 on 21 Aug 2013, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

But Murphy's already 23? He'll be 26 when his contract expires, surely?
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

Crikey
We know how to celebrate a bit of ambition on here dont we? :wtf:
This seems another sensible purchase. Looking at the manure forum they think we have paid next to nowt up front and seem to feel he will make a good CB, especially at this level.
BM is slowly making his mark on the club. We need to let him settle now as he has not played a lot of first team football.
cadillacjukebox
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by cadillacjukebox »

I agree. Don't know this chap at all, but we are lacking in this department and he also provides cover at full back (according to the reports this morning), two of which things on the right hand side, we have been in need of with Sam's absence.

I wonder whether BMC sees him slotting in at RB with Pelts joining Pearce at CB, to give Lees a break and find his confidence again?

3 years, seems to me, a perfect contract length for a youngster - gives them time to settle and develop and show promise, and allows us to either stick or twist in contract terms with a year to go.