An idea stolen from elsewhere

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

An idea stolen from elsewhere

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What makes a Leeds United legend as since the Revie Era do any players qualify for that title. I look forward to your responses.
Winner of the Europa League
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: An idea stolen from elsewhere

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Yeah, I would say certain players since the Revie era do qualify as legends. Some, but not all, of the 91/92 title winning side would be legends. Speed, McAllister, Strachan, Batty, Fairclough. Some of O'Leary's great, but expensive team also.

None since, though, I'd suggest.

Tony Currie was a proper legend, unlucky that the Leeds United board acted like total tits when they fired Jimmy Armfield, or else he may have won some silverware at Elland Road.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

A similar post has been on before. I posted then and haven't changed my mind. The only player after the Revie era who qualifies as a Legend is Lucas Radabe.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

You see for me all of the Revie players were legends, including Gary Sprake. For me since that glorious era the players that are put on a pedestal are merely cult hero's and certainly not legends. We will never see the likes at Leeds of players playing 600+ games for the club the temptation now of a lucrative move financially is more appealing.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

johnh wrote:A similar post has been on before. I posted then and haven't changed my mind. The only player after the Revie era who qualifies as a Legend is Lucas Radabe.
I hear what you are saying John but LR only played around 200 games for us. It's his work after his career that he is to be applauded for. Don't get me wrong I rated him very highly but the title doesn't fit snugly for me. Prior the the Revie Era then John Charles has to be there.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Phil

How many games did Gary Sprake play? He was replaced by David Harvey during the Revie era. I remember in the late 1960's, when I still lived in Leeds, most supporters recognised that Sprake only got in the team because he had such a good defence in front of him. Personally, I would leave Sprake out of the 'legends' category. The term 'legend' is used too frequently and many who are afforded ther title shouldn't qualify. There is an ex Leeds player who writes for the YEP who is defined as a 'legend' and, as I write this, I can't even remember his name. :crazy:
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

John around 400 games and the ex writer from the YEP is Dom Matteo, who is now an ambassador for the club, hence ex writer for the said paper ;)

Harvey played for us twice from 1965 - 80 and again from 1982 - 85, had the honour of meeting him a couple of years ago and a lovely chap he was. He moved to Sanday in the Shetlands buying a 150 year old croft with 10 acres of land and became the island postman. Could you see today's players ever doing that ?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:Phil

How many games did Gary Sprake play? He was replaced by David Harvey during the Revie era. I remember in the late 1960's, when I still lived in Leeds, most supporters recognised that Sprake only got in the team because he had such a good defence in front of him. Personally, I would leave Sprake out of the 'legends' category. The term 'legend' is used too frequently and many who are afforded ther title shouldn't qualify. There is an ex Leeds player who writes for the YEP who is defined as a 'legend' and, as I write this, I can't even remember his name. :crazy:
Sprake played 381 games and was a very good goalkeeper, probably the highlight was his performance in the away leg of our first fairs cup win in hungary. Nigel Martyn in my opinion is our best ever goalkeeper but only played just over 200 matches so whether he qualifies as legend is open to debate.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

One player that was signed by the Don but not necessarily associated with the great team was Trevor Cherry who played around 400 matches and i believe still holds the distinction of been the only England player to be sent off in a friendly (Dirty Leeds and proud, lol).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote: Sprake played 381 games and was a very good goalkeeper, probably the highlight was his performance in the away leg of our first fairs cup win in hungary. Nigel Martyn in my opinion is our best ever goalkeeper but only played just over 200 matches so whether he qualifies as legend is open to debate.
Or the "legend" that got away as the then manager Eddie Gray didn't rate him, one David Seaman.