Leeds United's Top 100 players. Do you agree?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Leeds United's Top 100 players. Do you agree?

Post by Selby White »

Dirty Leeds eleven -

Sprake

Mills
Kenny Burns
Molenar
Aizlewood

Collins
Vinny
Batty
Yorath

Baird
Hankin

wouldn't be the most skillfull team but could probably stop those who thought they were.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Selby White wrote:Dirty Leeds eleven -

Sprake

Mills
Kenny Burns
Molenar
Aizlewood

Collins
Vinny
Batty
Yorath

Baird
Hankin

wouldn't be the most skillfull team but could probably stop those who thought they were.
4 lads in the revie team who were hard/dirty beyond this lot hunter, Bremner, Giles, Clarke.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

isrodger wrote:
Selby White wrote:Dirty Leeds eleven -

Sprake

Mills
Kenny Burns
Molenar
Aizlewood

Collins
Vinny
Batty
Yorath

Baird
Hankin

4 lads in the revie team who were hard/dirty beyond this lot hunter, Bremner, Giles, Clarke.
I'd add big Jack to your list but my for my "hard men" team I didn't consider those in the all time best team as initially posted, I'm sure there are a few more options but these are what came to mind.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Joe Jordan would be in for me, he was and still is as hard as nails.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Aces wrote:Joe Jordan would be in for me, he was and still is as hard as nails.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 1076

Post by Deleted User 1076 »

These kind of comparisons, whilst interesting are largely pointless because the conditions of the game are so very different.

If you magically transported a team from the 70s' and put them in today's Premier League, provided they could adjust to not being able to commit GBH when tackling, they would get trounced. The physical and metal fitness of the modern player far outstrips that of the 70's players.

That said, had George Best been born in 1980 and had Sir Alex as his manager, he would probably made Messi look like a drunken carthorse. Eddie Gray, with modern training, equipment, conditioning, diet and physiotherapy would have been sold to Real for £150m.
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

davidbattyspants wrote:These kind of comparisons, whilst interesting are largely pointless because the conditions of the game are so very different.

If you magically transported a team from the 70s' and put them in today's Premier League, provided they could adjust to not being able to commit GBH when tackling, they would get trounced. The physical and metal fitness of the modern player far outstrips that of the 70's players.

That said, had George Best, Jimmy Greaves, Tony Currie, Martin Peters, Colin Bell, Alan Hudson, Denis Law, Allan Clarke, Francis Lee, Peter Osgood, Tony Green, Charlie George, Jimmy Greenhoff, Archie Gemmill, Martin Chivers, Derek Dougan, Supermac, Leighton James, Frank Worthington, Bob Latchford, Trevor Francis, Trevor Brooking, Stan Bowles or Gordon Hill been born in 1980 and had Sir Alex as his manager, he would probably made Messi look like a drunken carthorse. Eddie Gray, with modern training, equipment, conditioning, diet and physiotherapy would have been sold to Real for £150m.
I entirely agree.