Leeds United's Top 100 players. Do you agree?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: Leeds United's Top 100 players. Do you agree?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

That's exactly the side I would've picked and indeed the side any living Leeds fan should pick ...
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Aces wrote:The following team was voted the greatest ever Leeds United team by supporters and announced on 10 April 2006 on the Leeds United Web-site.[2] A formal dinner also took place to reward all the players voted into the team.
Nigel Martyn (1996–2003)
Paul Reaney (1962–1978)
Norman Hunter (1962–1976)
Jack Charlton (1952–1973)
Terry Cooper (1963–1974)
Peter Lorimer (1962–1979, 1983–1985)
Billy Bremner (1959–1976)
Johnny Giles (1963–1975)
Eddie Gray (1965–1983)
Allan Clarke (1969–1977)
John Charles (1948–1957, 1962)
My team would be:

Martyn/ Harvey

Reaney, Charlton, Charles, Cooper

Lorimer/ Currie, Bremner, Giles, Madeley

Clarke, Jones.

Apart from the possible weakness of the goalkeeping spot, that is an almost unbeatable team. I picked Madeley in left midfield for many reasons, mainly for consistency, but also to allow Cooper to bomb forwards, and cover for the advancing runs of John Charles. Mick Jones and Allan Clarke CANNOT be split up. That is all.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Hi Malcom

If I recall king Don Revie said Paul Madely was the ultimate utility player, who could play in any position and turn a a good performance, he was a quality player.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

I read his autobiography, Leeds' Rolls-Royce, he was probably my favourite Leeds player from that great era. "Never a substitute", Sniffer said of him. He made the team more of a team. They really missed him for that home game against West Brom, I reckon. Would they have lost with him playing? I don't think so. Even with Tinkler's decisions.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Malcolm Stark wrote:I read his autobiography, Leeds' Rolls-Royce, he was probably my favourite Leeds player from that great era. "Never a substitute", Sniffer said of him. He made the team more of a team. They really missed him for that home game against West Brom, I reckon. Would they have lost with him playing? I don't think so. Even with Tinkler's decisions.
He always stood out for me personally, he was tall and elegant, easy on the ball, extremely fit and a touch of aggression, as we're all the players of that great Leeds side. He never seemed to nail a position down, but I think that's because all the other players were pretty much inked in to each of their positions. An awesome talent that's for sure.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

The best Leeds United team ever is a far more interesting excersise than the top 100 players, which is too subjective to be meaningful. eg
Harry Kewell at number 41 and Willie Bell at 92. I know which one I would have in my team. There was even someone called Wainscott (who he?) above Willie Bell.

Sorry, it was Wainscoat (can't even get the name right).
I once played against Don Revie.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Aces wrote:The following team was voted the greatest ever Leeds United team by supporters and announced on 10 April 2006 on the Leeds United Web-site.[2] A formal dinner also took place to reward all the players voted into the team.
Nigel Martyn (1996–2003)
Paul Reaney (1962–1978)
Norman Hunter (1962–1976)
Jack Charlton (1952–1973)
Terry Cooper (1963–1974)
Peter Lorimer (1962–1979, 1983–1985)
Billy Bremner (1959–1976)
Johnny Giles (1963–1975)
Eddie Gray (1965–1983)
Allan Clarke (1969–1977)
John Charles (1948–1957, 1962)
Difficult process. I'm sure many Leeds supporters in 2006 had never seen any of the Revie greats play. I personally would put Dorigo ahead of Cooper - although never having seen them head-to-head as it were, it's hard to be objective or categorical as to the reasons why.

And it just makes me wonder if this kind of process weighs on players who come to Leeds? Do they think 'don't think I'll ever be as good as, eg, Billy Bremner' or 'Bremner is my inspiration and I want to emulate him'?

If I remember well didn't Wilko remove many reminders of the Revie era from ER?

The processes by which our two top sides - Revie and 91/92 Championship - came together are not going to repeat themselves because neither involved large amounts of money.

But the signs on and off the pitch are positive right now. The time until Monday night will be a good pointer.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I don't get how Cantona can get in the top 100. Some may disagree, but the fact he was a good player (at another club) does not mean he was a great player for us. He had a small influence towards the end of the Championship season back in 1992 but if that is enough to get him in the top 100, then where is Glyn Snodin or Jon Newsome who all made similar, if not bigger efforts that very same season? (and also served the club longer and better).

If Cantona can make it, then Tresor Kandol should be in it.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I know what you mean, mate - it should be about how they were when they were with us.

By that logic Thomas Brolin would be in the top ten :lol:
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Terry Cooper was an incredible player and Tony Dorigo was clearly a really good player, but not as good as Terry Cooper over their careers IMO, when Tony Dorigo was at his best, his fittest he was a top player though. Plus TC played for Leeds double the time TD played for us. I was surprised to see Cantona at number 35 especially when there appears to be a deep rooted dislike of him amongst a lot of our fans.The Revie era was more apparent in the late 80s and early 90s, but I don't think that great era is hanging ove the club anymore, it's a distant memory of history these days, not something that hangs heavy round the clubs neck, like it did in the past, but that's just my opinion.