Paul Madeley! One of LUFC's very best, surely?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 130

Re: Paul Madeley! One of LUFC's very best, surely?

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Every single post in this thread contains great argument. Even mine :D
cadillacjukebox
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by cadillacjukebox »

Someone posted, I think on Twitter, late last year, that they had analysed the Greatest Leeds United XI to see how many times they had played together, in that magical unit.

The answer was....ONCE.

This was because Paul Madeley played so many games for Leeds and doesn't figure in that mythical starting XI, so Malcom makes a very valid point.

We call him our Rolls Royce / utility man, but his claim to fame should be much greater than "super sub".

I would have him in my team from 1968-75 instead of Hunter, but it's hard, and as ONS says, what do you do with Bobby Collins, who started the revolution?

For what it's worth, I would have John Charles at CF (he could always swap with Madeley), and I would have Gray and Lorimer on the flanks.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

If my arm was twisted and I had to include Paul Madeley in my best ever team, it would be at left back in place of Terry Cooper. Cadilliacjukebox mentions Bobby Collins. Next to Don Revie, Bobby Collins was the man most responsible for turning Leeds from a very average 2nd Division side into the great side they became. Johnny Giles took over from Bobby and I think even Bobby would admit that Giles took it to another level. Bobby Collins doesn't make the greatest team ever but will always be a legend in his own right.
I remember in the late 1950's the YEP 'schools football' section was full of the names of Paul and Mick Madeley. They achieved every local schools football honours available. Paul signed for Leeds straight from school and his brother Mick signed for Farsley Celtic. I played against Mick several times when he was at Farsley. He was very different to Paul, shorter, stockier but a very strong player. He played wing-half and was a very good player at Yorkshire League level. When Paul made Leeds first team, Mick gave up playing so that he could watch Paul play. I was very surprised at the time as Mick was a very good player in his own right.
I once played against Don Revie.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Hey Malcolm, when did you start writing for the Yorkshire Evening Post?

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... -1-6075652
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Wilfred Martin
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Wilfred Martin »

Yet another example of a Yorkshire Post article appearing shortly after a thread along similar lines has appeared on LUFCTalk. There's clearly a good deal of respect from their reporters to our members by plagiarising our contributions. Or are Sheepy & Bogdan covert reporters?
We're on our way to....
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

SMorientes wrote:Hey Malcolm, when did you start writing for the Yorkshire Evening Post?

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... -1-6075652
To be honest, I found my post to be more passionately written. Okay I used stats, but with effect, I hoped, and to support my argument. This article was mostly dragged up from Wikipedia, I'm sure, and it left me cold.

By the way, slightly off-topic, me and Ness are off on an eight day holiday in Constable's county of Suffolk tomorrow morning, and I will be without internet access for all of that time. I'm not going to be sulking after you beat us in the League Cup, I promise. Looking forward to more great debate from early October... :thumbup:
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Wilfred Martin wrote:Yet another example of a Yorkshire Post article appearing shortly after a thread along similar lines has appeared on LUFCTalk. There's clearly a good deal of respect from their reporters to our members by plagiarising our contributions. Or are Sheepy & Bogdan covert reporters?
Bogdan writes for the Warrington Guardian, I think? ;)
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Still a jewel amongst the mess.....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Must be some sort of record, a response to a thread where the last post was exactly a year ago. :?
I once played against Don Revie.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I was fortunate to see King Dons great team and Madeley was an amazing player, as were the rest. But unlike the rest who basically held down one position, Madely was used to play in several different positions, because he was that versatile. He was a Rolls Royce of a player, he just glided around, was great on the ball and deserves to be in the best starting eleven. The only problem is, who does he replace? Each of the best players held down one position and I think that's why it's hard to put Madeley in before them, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a fantastic player, but so were the others.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT