Leeds United Australian connections

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
judy
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Leeds United Australian connections

Post by judy »

:clap: Excellent post, must have spent a lot of time researching. :clap: Regarding Kewell, :thumbdown: he is now at Watford coaching the under 21s.
new signing
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by new signing »

judy wrote::clap: Excellent post, must have spent a lot of time researching. :clap: Regarding Kewell, :thumbdown: he is now at Watford coaching the under 21s.
Ive never forgiven kewell, im not sure i ever will. He was a hero and then he was a c^nt. It broke my heart the day he left leeds and i developed a hatred of all things liverpool at the same time. If only i had the chance to sit down and explain to him how much it affected me as a fan of football and how upset i was as a fellow australian at least some of the pain might go away. Alas i cant see it happening. Even now the thought of it is almost enough to bring me to tears. Watching those last two seasons at the top as our squad was torn apart and we continually tumbled further down the ladder :cry:

Kewell is little more than a self serving c^nt and ill view him that way until the end of my days
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

new signing wrote:
judy wrote::clap: Excellent post, must have spent a lot of time researching. :clap: Regarding Kewell, :thumbdown: he is now at Watford coaching the under 21s.
Ive never forgiven kewell, im not sure i ever will. He was a hero and then he was a c^nt. It broke my heart the day he left leeds and i developed a hatred of all things liverpool at the same time. If only i had the chance to sit down and explain to him how much it affected me as a fan of football and how upset i was as a fellow australian at least some of the pain might go away. Alas i cant see it happening. Even now the thought of it is almost enough to bring me to tears. Watching those last two seasons at the top as our squad was torn apart and we continually tumbled further down the ladder :cry:

Kewell is little more than a self serving c^nt and ill view him that way until the end of my days
Thanks Judy, most of it was not too hard to find thankfully barring some of the lesser known players which did involve a bit of hard research, was enjoyable finding out though :thumbup:

Ah yes Kewell, always a sore subject amongst Leeds fans, I met him before he was famous and seemed to be down to earth, gave us plenty of time to chat to him but I guess fame/fortune and some very very bad advice from those close to his ears sent him to go down as one of our most hated ex-players to play for the club.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Horts
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by Horts »

Great post mate!

Big Patty K was the only reason I started to follow Melbourne City/Heart. Love the way he goes about his football, great captain, hoping he can build on his form from last season too.

Going to take my Leeds kit down to a match this year, hopefully can get him to sign it!
He's magic, you know...
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Horts wrote:Great post mate!

Big Patty K was the only reason I started to follow Melbourne City/Heart. Love the way he goes about his football, great captain, hoping he can build on his form from last season too.

Going to take my Leeds kit down to a match this year, hopefully can get him to sign it!
Let us know how you go, Paddy is always well liked by Leeds fans and will be interesting if this is his last year in the A League or will he go around for another one.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

To continue on my Leeds/Australia connections I have found some more information and will continue to add as time continues on –

Leeds has played 2 games which involve Australia they are -

1994 (Malaysia) Leeds United 2-1 Olyroos (White, Masinga for Leeds and Spiteri for the Olyroos)

1992 (Melbourne) Leeds United 1-0 Colo Colo (Kewell scored), players such as Kewell, Mark Viduka and Michael Bridges played in this game.

England Games/Tours

England has toured Australia 3 times in history (officially there have been many tours but they have not been called official internationals for whatever reasons), only once has Australia visited England to play England.

1980 England 2-1 Australia – Played in Sydney. There are two players who played for Leeds involved in this game and one of those players was actually made captain, in fact it was his only game as Captain in his 27 caps he won. His name is Trevor Cherry. In the 88th minute Brian Greenhoff came on for Bryan Robson to make player No 2, this was his last ever appearance as an international.

1983 England toured Australia and played 3 games, winning one and drawing the other 2. There were no Leeds players on this tour. Games were played in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane.

1991 England played a one off match vs Australia and ended up winning 1-0 thanks to an own goal, there was one Leeds player involved in this game, that was David Batty. The game was played in Sydney.

2003 Australia visited the UK for a one off game against England, Australia surprised the hosts with a dominant victory by 3-1. There were 6 players who have played for Leeds in this game (not all of them playing for Leeds at the time of this game). For England there was Paul Robinson, Danny Mills and Rio Ferdinand whilst for the Aussies there was Mark Viduka, Harry Kewell and Paul Okon. This game was played at West Ham’s Upton Park and is the last time they have played each other.

Scotland/Wales/Ireland/Northern Ireland Games/Tours

When Australia has played Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland or Wales the following players who have played for Leeds have been involved, in some of these games they were not at Leeds United but at other clubs when they made these appearances.

Scotland –

1985 Gordon Strachan played against Australia in a world cup qualifier which was played at Hampden Park, the Scots ended up winning 2-0 and drawing in Australia to make the 1986 world cup finals, Strachan did not play in the second leg of these games.

1996 Gary McAllister played in a 1-0 win over Australia in Scotland

2000 Australia shocked Scotland 2-0 at home which involved the following players (Dominic Matteo, Paul Dickov for Scotland and Paul Okon, Jacob Burns for Australia, the game was played in Scotland.

2013 Scotland beat Australia 3-1 with Robert Snodgrass and Ross McCormack playing for Scotland, McCormack scored the 3rd goal for the Scots. This game was played in Scotland.

Republic of Ireland –

2003 Ireland beat Australia 2-1 – For Ireland that day Robbie Keane, Andy O’Brien and Ian Harte played and for Australia Mark Viduka, Hayden Foxe and Paul Okon played. Game was played in Ireland.

2009 Australia beat Ireland 3-0 – For Ireland Robbie Keane played whilst for the Australia Paddy Kisnorbo and Harry Kewell played. Game was played in Ireland.

Northern Ireland –

1980 Northern Ireland came to Australia to play 3 games where they won 2 of them (both 2-1) and drew the other game (1-1), in these games John McClelland played in all 3 for Northern Ireland whilst in the second of these games for Australia Murray Barnes played, Barnes played in the Leeds’s reserve team in the 70’s for one season.

Wales –

2011 They have played only once and Australia beat Wales in Wales by 2-1, in this game for Wales Steve Morrison played whilst for Australia Neil Kilkenny played.

Youth internationals -

In 1993 the World Youth Cup was held in Australia (I was lucky enough to see the final and 3rd/4th place games) and during the 3rd/4th place game England played Australia for bragging rights as both had been knocked out in the semis by Ghana and Brasil. The game went down to the wire and in the 85th minute a future Leeds player scored the winner, his name was Julian Joachim. I remember the goal well as he dribbled (A la Maradona) through the Aussie defence to put England up 2-1. That is how the score remained.

In the 1999 World Youth Cup Ireland and Australia met in which Ireland destroyed Australia 4-0. On the sides that day was for Australia, Joel Griffiths and for Ireland Robbie Keane and Stephen McPhail.
West beach white
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by West beach white »

[quote="Mr Russell"]To continue on my Leeds/Australia connections I have found some more information and will continue to add as time continues on –

1994 (Malaysia) Leeds United 2-1 Olyroos (White, Masinga for Leeds and Spiteri for the Olyroos)

my younger brother played in this game for the olyroos along with mark viduka, I believe it was part of a four team tournament to celebrate the opening of a new stadium.

In 1993 the World Youth Cup was held in Australia (I was lucky enough to see the final and 3rd/4th place games) and during the 3rd/4th place game England played Australia for bragging rights as both had been knocked out in the semis by Ghana and Brasil. The game went down to the wire and in the 85th minute a future Leeds player scored the winner, his name was Julian Joachim. I remember the goal well as he dribbled (A la Maradona) through the Aussie defence to put England up 2-1. That is how the score remained
i remember watching this game in the front bar of the old lion hotel, North Adelaide before going out the back to watch neds atomic dustbin
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

West beach white wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:To continue on my Leeds/Australia connections I have found some more information and will continue to add as time continues on –

my younger brother played in this game for the olyroos along with mark viduka, I believe it was part of a four team tournament to celebrate the opening of a new stadium.

In 1993 the World Youth Cup was held in Australia (I was lucky enough to see the final and 3rd/4th place games) and during the 3rd/4th place game England played Australia for bragging rights as both had been knocked out in the semis by Ghana and Brasil. The game went down to the wire and in the 85th minute a future Leeds player scored the winner, his name was Julian Joachim. I remember the goal well as he dribbled (A la Maradona) through the Aussie defence to put England up 2-1. That is how the score remained
i remember watching this game in the front bar of the old lion hotel, North Adelaide before going out the back to watch neds atomic dustbin
Who was your younger brother?

Ned's Atomic Dustbin, wow that is a blast from the past, think I have an album (cassette tape) of theirs hidden away somewhere, didn't mind them to be honest.
West beach white
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by West beach white »

Brad hassell, played for Adelaide City and perth glory in the old NSL
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

West beach white wrote:Brad hassell, played for Adelaide City and perth glory in the old NSL
I do remember him from back in the old NSL days when Adelaide/Perth used to come to Newcastle. Adelaide had a pretty good side in those days.