McDermott - so far so good?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Downunder
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Re: McDermott - so far so good?

Post by Downunder »

Can someone explain to me how do teams like Blackpool, Hull, Birmingham Norwich, Wolves QPR ever get promoted to the Premier League? They are half the size of Leeds and yet they manage to get their act together. We got relegated to League One and we could not even win the title, but relied on being the runners up to get promoted. A club the size and history of Leeds should be attracting buyers from all around the world, and yet we had to rely on the good grace of Bates to keep the club alive whilst he made a fortune from selling off everything. Bates then found a Middle Eastern Bank.... that has no money, to buy the club. They in turn found Cellino who appears less likely as each day passes to get approval to own Leeds. So where does that leave the club? GBH has been borrowing money from Cellino. If he does not get ownership he will want that money back. That leaves Bates sitting in Monaco counting his money. He sold Leeds for 50 or 60 million? I am sure if GBH come running he will sell it to them for 10 or 12 million. Groundhog day.
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: McDermott given up....Yes or No ?

Post by 1964white »

onenorthernsoul wrote:I've finally had enough of this forum, I have been increasingly hacked off with people slagging the manager and the players off like they're finding some twisted amusement out of it. This forum has changed too much, I'm probably no saint either but I used to visit and contribute here regularly, for enjoyment, but it hasn't been enjoyable for a long time. All the best to you all
I'm sorry to hear your reaction after 4000+ posts ONS

We all have different opinions, surely if we all shared the same points of view the forums would become boring.

I do 45+ games a season & tbh over the last two seasons I find it difficult to drum up any positivity. I don't get on the players backs during the games as 1000's regularly do, I tend to go into a quiet shell probably because I'm bored out of my skull.

I'll try to be more positive in the future & keep my negative thoughts to myself !
JubailWhite
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: McDermott given up....Yes or No ?

Post by JubailWhite »

dlw10 wrote:
Aces wrote:Well, I don't think it's because the players aren't good enough, they are. Butland and Wickham are top quality players at this level. Ross is the division top scorer, Byram was on Man city's radar, Wootton played in the champions league and semi final of the league cup with Man utd. Murphy is clearly a decent player, so is Pearce and Warnock. So why aren't they performing? Something isn't right, the takeover, the tactics, BM ????? Whatever it is, it's definitely not because we haven't got a good side at this level ..... We definitely have.
Not sure about that assessment! The thing is, take Butland and Wickham. Butland was sold in Jan 13 for big money to Stoke....but has played very few games since then and none for Stoke! Why is that? Take Connor Wickham - similar story, big money signing for Sunderland but nor thought to be surplus and his valuation is only about £3m when he was sold to Sunderland for £8m. Why is that?
Ross McCormack....don't gt me started. Is he a really top player? I honestly do not know any more - his goal was excellent on Saturday, really quick reactions......but his miss, not the first this season, was poor and his general play was dire as if often is. Sam Byram was excellent last season going forward but has always been suspect in defence and this season is having trouble finding the form he had last. Wootton? Have we really seen a good player there yet? I haven't. Murphy I believe, as Ive said elsewhere is getting there,very slowly and \I now believe the reason we are not seeing a true star is that the rest of our midfield are not good enough to support him - vis Alex Mowatt in particular. Pearce I grant you is usually OK, not brilliant a la a John Terry or Rio in his pomp, but workmanlike and a bigger tryer you will not find. Warnock has been a top full back but his time has come and gone. My complaint for several seasons is that we have not enough top quality players - I still remember Allan Clarke telling us we needed 6 Prem quality players in the team to get promoted.......I have yet to see 6 prem players in one of our teams this season.
Have to agree with the assessments made by both.
Murphy has been best player this last month and will get better, carrying Austin in every game
Butland is showing why he is not first choice for Stoke :shock:
Wickham is better than what we have seen and you cannot blame him for costing 8m etc :|
Wootton is a lot better than what we have seen but in a team that does not play football, has to change his way of playing after having years of playing football, must be very strange for him. :?
Byram is a good attacking player but not defensive :thumbup:
Mowatt not good enough yet, but a local lad, so will be given more chances :thumbup:
Pearce, heart and soul every game, him and Wootton I think would be our best pair :thumbup:
It is very clear to me what the problem is: B McD :thumbdown:

1. No clear tactics - only one way of playing HOOF BALL,
2. How many times have you seen the team play from the goalie to the front man - this is grass roots, Sunday league football.
3. Players who cannot hold the ball, pass and move, come and collect, turn and attack. Is this the reason for No. 1??

I really do think the team is there and we have some good young players. What it needs is a manager who will play them, week in week out whatever the result and play football (pass and move stuff) and forget about what us fans say or want. I have said it on other match posts, just look at Aston Villa, so close to relegation but Lambert would not change, hammered 8-0 but would not change, now they are mid table and just beaten Chelsea, OK not perfect but will get better and better each season. Leeds need to do the same, is it with B McD, I do not think so
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Bogdan wrote:Side-note on the general debate of forum discussions: We've just returned to the eternal debate of McDermott quality vs players quality, rinse, repeat. Ad nauseam. And that's not me trying to put a stop to new and/or interesting arguments, but if I'm honest, I've seen very few of them in this for a few weeks. Just pointing out it's an eternal loop.

I've merged this into the oldest McDermott assessment thread, which should in itself raise the question of why we reignited this with a) a new topic, and b) content copied/pasted from elsewhere.
Should we not expect to see the same arguments again and again on a forum like this? If an issue is current - and the question over the quality of our manager and team are def current issues - then I would expect it to be aired again and again. There will always be new people coming along who have not read all the history; those who have read it may well have forgotten particular points that even they have raised before. As debating points if we think we have a good one we will no doubt keep raising it too. I should know, goodness knows how many times I tried to get my Bates points over and goodness knows how many times people kept battering me (in a debating manner) with their contra views! If folk are bored with an issue, or fed up with up, then just ignore that thread. Simples.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just thinking out loud here. Brian McDermott at the moment is the one thing that's stable. I might be naive here but I wonder how much of the off field stuff is actually affecting him. With Cellino out of the frame maybe we might just see a turn in our fortunes on the pitch. Other managers would have walked by now so if nothing else I appreciate his loyalty.
Winner of the Europa League
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

I like your thinking. Things are still unstable but BM had the added problem of Cellino. He may, as you suggest, feel a tad more comfortable this morning with the result that he loosens up a bit. His post match interviews have nosedived of late.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... -1-6541471

Give him time under Cellino, this sort of treatment GFH deserves another go, when he's not under the microscope.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

SiMamu wrote:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... -1-6541471

Give him time under Cellino, this sort of treatment GFH deserves another go, when he's not under the microscope.
The more on read on the club the sadder I become. What an absolute joke we have become.
Winner of the Europa League
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

NottinghamWhite wrote:

The more on read on the club the sadder I become. What an absolute joke we have become.
Ok providing the team and tactics 24hrs before a game is unacceptable, but everything else is perfectly reasonable.HOWEVER this should be done face to face, not via a wanky corporate private equity type memo!

Our performances have been shambolic, Bmcs acquisitions have left a lot to be desired - he is accountable. Actually if it Hisham who demanded Kebe was dropped, his judgement appears to be better than BMc s.
mis
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by mis »

Oh dear, it was an ultimate disgraceful treatment for our manager!
True enough McD may not be the brilliant manager we had so far but he should not deserved this kind of pathetic treatment from GFH.. I should say the GFH should be sacked instead!!!!