Why Leeds United ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Shane Wolfe
Giddy Kipper

Re: Why Leeds United ?

Post by Shane Wolfe »

At age 5 I had a choice; go with my Uncle to the Shay Stadium or with Grandad to Elland Road. Leeds had better pies in the 70's.....
"I wasn't very good at playing football. But I was very good at stopping other people playing football"
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

The first 'proper' football match I ever saw was a pre-season friendly, Doncaster Rovers v Leeds United.

I went with my grandad who was a Rovers' regular but he'd told me all about leeds and everybody knew they were the best team in the country back then. I was disappointed that Billy Bremner and a lot of the other first teamers weren't playing but I remember Mick Bates and Terry Yorath, and Paul Reaney, who was perhaps the biggest star on show that night. to me, he seemed like a giant striding down the pitch.

There has only ever been one team for me since that night.
Chinastone29
Giddy Kipper

Post by Chinastone29 »

It was the 11th of April 1970, the game was Leeds United V Chelsea in the FA cup final, I was in Co. Mayo, Ireland aged 7 with My Dad, (A Spurs Fan), We were listening (yes, listening on Radio, as it was not Televised live at that time in Ireland).

I was beginning an interest in Football but not sure who to follow on this day. I asked my Dad and he said without hesitation, Leeds. As a Spurs fan he was never going to say Chelsea (Thankfully now).

The rest is history, Thanks Dad.

Paul H,

AKA @Chinastone29
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Chinastone29 wrote:It was the 11th of April 1970, the game was Leeds United V Chelsea in the FA cup final, I was in Co. Mayo, Ireland aged 7 with My Dad, (A Spurs Fan), We were listening (yes, listening on Radio, as it was not Televised live at that time in Ireland).

I was beginning an interest in Football but not sure who to follow on this day. I asked my Dad and he said without hesitation, Leeds. As a Spurs fan he was never going to say Chelsea (Thankfully now).

Paul H,

AKA @Chinastone29
Welcome Paul good to have you on board.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

That final was the turning point for me too. I'd been developing a fondness for Leeds United but this match got under my skin, I shed tears at the result in the replay, believed in my heart that we were robbed and convinced that there was no justice........

Welcome Bud
Keep The Faith / WAL
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Chinastone29 wrote:It was the 11th of April 1970, the game was Leeds United V Chelsea in the FA cup final, I was in Co. Mayo, Ireland aged 7 with My Dad, (A Spurs Fan), We were listening (yes, listening on Radio, as it was not Televised live at that time in Ireland).

Paul H,

AKA @Chinastone29
As good a reason, and better than some, to follow the mighty whites :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Paul H,

AKA @Chinastone29
Welcome in Paul. Still in Mayo?

Kilkenny man exiled in Galway here.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
ntipp1
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by ntipp1 »

It has always been Leeds, family tradition says I have to go!
Billy Bremners Boots
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Billy Bremners Boots »

Because Billy Bremner was captain of Scotland at the 74 World Cup that and the other Leeds Scotland players it seemed the right thing for me
Johnny Fenton
Giddy Kipper

Post by Johnny Fenton »

I was born in Cork, loved Leeds, moved to Brixton London, but there was a local pub I used to go to watch LEEDS matches when they were on TV, and me and one other person was in the pub at 12:20 waiting for LEEDS kick off he was from Nottingham, we became friends and as we dropped through the divisions me and Martin visited every ground within a hundred miles of London