Why Leeds United ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Why Leeds United ?

Post by corkleedsmot »

leeds is in my family for some reason.. my dad,2 uncles,brother and 2 cousins all supports leeds. i was given a jersey when i was 3.. watched all the videos from 50's-80's as a kid and was leeds for life after..nobody told me it would so closely resemble an actual life sentence post 2003 :D
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

Born in Wakefield in 65, virtually the whole school, the whole estate where I lived were Leeds United fans, it wasn't hard to become a fan and I was a football nut, such great days growing up. My only disappointment was my dad not being a footy fan so I was never taken in the glory years though I was desperate to go.When I was old enough and mum allowed me to go I remember me and a mate went on our pushbikes for the opening game of the season v Aston Villa 1980/81. What a joy to at last stand on the kop and amazing to see us score in the first minute. Sadly we lost the game but that's one of many many cherished memories of my life supporting this wonderful team. I have travelled home and away and although work commitments make it harder to get there these days, I still love to go.
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

This thread has run before, but how bad.

My Mum was a W.Yorkshire lass from Bradford. My Nan used visit Cork for 8 weeks every summer hols. I asked her one day what teams she liked. She said Scum (as they were a northern team - i suppose) and Leeds. At that early stage i didn't like Manure so Leeds it's been for the last 38 years (jesus I'm getting on!) so i was a Liverpool fan for 2 weeks, Man City for 2 days and Leeds for life.

My younger brother wasn't that proud of his Yorkshire heritage and chose Tottingham. I've had my 2 eldest sons over at ER as Leeds fans when they were very young, but they've since drunk the soup so to speak and are Scum fans. I'm enjoying their turmoil at the moment and will get them back to the fold when we reach the PL :thumbup:
eduardo fandango
Giddy Kipper

Post by eduardo fandango »

Born in Nottingham in 1970 to a Forest-supporting Dad.

Used to spend a lot of time in the early 70s with my cousin who was/is a massive Leeds fan and given Leeds' record at that time, I didn't take much convincing to support Leeds.

Unfortunately my Dad wouldn't let me go to Elland Road with my cousin, who can (even today) reasonably be described as 'a bit of a lad', so when I was young I used to go to Forest and Notts matches with mates - mainly for something to do on a Saturday afternoon.

When I would have been able to make my own way to Elland Road I discovered beer and girls, then ended up being a young Dad, married twice and without a pot to piss in. Football ended up a long way down a long list of priorities.

Eventually I got a grip of myself, but rather than hand my hard-earned over to greedy, dimwitted bellends running football clubs badly, me and my mates followed England abroad and then dabbled with non-league football for a few years.

At this point, I've been to more England and Forest games than Leeds games ... but I'm slowly putting that right.
AndyG15
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by AndyG15 »

Born in the mid 60's in Horsforth and lived 'til 18 in Guiseley. Frankly when football became part of my life in the early 70's Leeds were at their peak and how could I not support them!! Never got to go to ER until the early 80's but I was absolutely riveted to the European Nights covered by Sports on 2 on Radio 2 and the theme music for it is burned in my head (see below). Even when I hear it now it still brings back memories of Anderlecht, Borussia Moenchengladbach Bayern Munich and such the like. Only time in my life I ever wanted to go to bed early (8:00pm) so I could lay and listen to the commentaries under the covers.

http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/radio2/theme_tunes.htm
Billy the kid
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Billy the kid »

johnh wrote: Contacted Leeds about playing football and Raich Carter, who was then manager, said 'sorry son you're too old'!!!
Just to have talked to Raich Carter would have been interesting but for him to have told you that you were too old, well, that's really something. It's a bit funny as well, because Raich was playing well into his 40s. I chat most days to a Hull City supporter who used to watch him play. When he talks about Raich Carter you would think he was talking about a god or a saint. But from what I remember Jack Charton didn't think much of him as a manager. He couldn't deal well with players who weren't as talented as himself.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Just thought I would now join this thread having read through it.

I am from Halifax (hence the name) born and raised the local team a pretty dire so everybody around here is mostly Liverpool or Scum fans. My dad is a Scum fan a tried to push me the same way, bought me the Fred the Red bed sheets as a kid etc. Once I was old enough to make my own choice and I actually started watching football I chose Leeds. My best friend was a Leeds fan and I have loved them since, being that I am only 26 now I cant say I have been through the ups and downs, mostly just downs for me but that just makes me love the club more. Especially the fans, not many teams who have been through what we have, have such passionate supporters and so many too. To this day my dad will no longer speak about football with me and in the same pub as me (but at the opposite end) when we beat them in the cup a few years back thanks to good ol' Jermaine. He hated it!

MOT!
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Aaron »

My Dad was a Leeds fan and I know of quite a few Leeds fans in the town I live in. Supported for as long as I can remember, I've just turned 20 so the only positive moment was promotion from L1 so hoping for a few more!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Billy the kid wrote:
johnh wrote: Contacted Leeds about playing football and Raich Carter, who was then manager, said 'sorry son you're too old'!!!
Just to have talked to Raich Carter would have been interesting but for him to have told you that you were too old, well, that's really something. It's a bit funny as well, because Raich was playing well into his 40s. I chat most days to a Hull City supporter who used to watch him play. When he talks about Raich Carter you would think he was talking about a god or a saint. But from what I remember Jack Charton didn't think much of him as a manager. He couldn't deal well with players who weren't as talented as himself.
I also saw Raich Carter play. When I used to go and watch Everton in the late 1940's he played for Sunderland. Outstanding player.
I once played against Don Revie.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

johnh wrote:
Billy the kid wrote:
I also saw Raich Carter play. When I used to go and watch Everton in the late 1940's he played for Sunderland. Outstanding player.
My father in law reckons he's was one oft best to pull on a Sheepworriers shirt?