Why Leeds United ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Billy the kid
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: Why Leeds United ?

Post by Billy the kid »

johnh wrote: I also saw Raich Carter play. When I used to go and watch Everton in the late 1940's he played for Sunderland. Outstanding player.
That's going back a long way. I can remember games from the early 60s and I think I am old.

Here's a nice clip of Raich Carter training Hull. Don Revie makes an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFhhbBwD4Tk
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Billy the kid wrote:
johnh wrote: I also saw Raich Carter play. When I used to go and watch Everton in the late 1940's he played for Sunderland. Outstanding player.
That's going back a long way. I can remember games from the early 60s and I think I am old.

Here's a nice clip of Raich Carter training Hull. Don Revie makes an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFhhbBwD4Tk
Did you notice the old footballs in that clip? You had to take a deep breath before you kicked one let alone headed one. As a centre-half I had no choice. :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
Scott
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Scott »

Simple for me; I moved to Leeds for work and needed to have my live football fix despite being hundreds of miles from my own team. Leeds was obviously the local team and within walking distance of where I live, so it made sense. Started going and couldn't stop going back even though times haven't been the best since I started supporting.
TezzaWazzaBazza
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by TezzaWazzaBazza »

Lived in Harrow as a child, but the grandad of a cousin in Somerset came from Leeds. When I was 4 my cousin suggested I support Leeds, so I did. I didn't have a clue how big a club they were. My cousin switched teams when Leeds were relegated in the 80s. I look forward to the day we beat Spurs when we're back in the prem.
Tourist
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Tourist »

Wasn't born in the UK, don't live there, I'm not English, so why Leeds?

Because it's a real club with real problems, die-hard, true supporters, fantastic history, it's not spoiled with money. And I hate Man U :D

Plus that awesome feeling when I visited ER for the first time and fell in love with its amazing atmosphere: first of all the floodlights -I think they are unique, they seem to be a bit dim and they remind me of floodlights from the old Polish national stadium, "Stadion Slaski" (1973, Poland-England, anyone?:)) Then there was way the Kop was singing "marching on together" which gave me goosebumps, the way David Healy was kicking the post in anger after missing yet another chance :) That night I saw passion, pain, grit and disappointment. I saw unfulfilled potential but no fear, I saw failure but without impuissance, I saw brave efforts unrewarded. That night I understood what Leeds is all about :P And I luv it! :)
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Exactly that Tourist, all that we go through as Leeds fans makes the day when we do achieve oh so special.
Huddo
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Huddo »

Born in Leeds, saw them as a child promoted from old Div 2 to Div 1. Saw the great Don Unite the city behind the boys. Then O'Leary galvanizing a very young squad to European glory, always followed Leeds even living on the other side of the world, you gotta follow your home town team through thick and thin!
Daleswalker
Giddy Kipper

Post by Daleswalker »

Although my roots are in Yorkshire, as a forces kid I was born elsewhere, I spent my formative years in Gods county though. But one of my abiding childhood memories was as a 4 year old kid (we were living in Northamptonshire at the time) sat on my dad's knee watching the '72 FA cup final. Funny thing is, dad was never really much of a football fan and he certainly didn't have a favourite team but I was hooked from that day. My late primary and then my secondary school years were spent in Doncaster, the folks wouldn't let me travel to Leeds on my own (like I said, dad had no interest in football so it never occurred to him to take me) but they would let me go to Belle Vue to watch the Rovers. I think it was the 83/84 season, rovers won promotion to the old 3rd division, we all invaded the pitch (tut tut) and King Billy himself came out to talk to the fans and I managed to shake his hand!!
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Why Leeds United? I sometimes ask myself the same question.....
Ted Dansons Wig
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by Ted Dansons Wig »

My son - now 17 born and bred in Wiltshire but took up his Dad's team from day one. Good lad.

He could have supported anyone he wanted of course. Though both him and his sister grew up thinking they couldn't say the words "Manchester" and United" in front of me.