Why Leeds United ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Why Leeds United ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Great post Grumpy :thumbup:
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Grumpy, if you played local football on a Saturday and Sunday, our paths must have crossed at some time as I am only 6 years older than you. I played Yorkshire League on Saturdays but played several seasons on Sunday morning. In fact, I played when the Sunday league first started when there was only one division! Which clubs did you play for? :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Great post Grumpy :thumbup:
Ditto, enjoyed the read
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Grumpy
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Grumpy »

johnh wrote:Grumpy, if you played local football on a Saturday and Sunday, our paths must have crossed at some time as I am only 6 years older than you. I played Yorkshire League on Saturdays but played several seasons on Sunday morning. In fact, I played when the Sunday league first started when there was only one division! Which clubs did you play for? :thumbup:
Ah! So you’re the old bugger who’s over 80 in the ‘How old are you’ topic. :wave: Another three years and I’ll be joining you :thumbup: .

Anyway, when I first went to Leeds, on Saturdays I played (probably for less than a season) with a Seacroft Club, the name of which I can’t remember (a Working Man’s club?). I got to playing with them because they used to play just off Oakwood Lane opposite where I lived at the time. After that I played with Micklefield and then Leeds Ashley Road in the Yorkshire League. On Sunday mornings I played with the Leeds United Supporters Club. At that time they were playing on the LICS ground at the junction of Geldered Road and Lowfields Road. I can’t remember the years I played with them but we won the Sunday League Cup. I know I was playing with them in the early 70’s ‘cos I was playing with them before I migrated to Oz in Feb 1975. Jack Roberts and his son Eric used to run the team when I was playing. I was also playing mid-week games with the Police team so I was pretty fit in those days!! Anyway, enough of my drivel who did you play with?
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Hi Grumpy, a great story to which I can relate to in many ways :D Where abouts are you in the world and I'll add you to our members maps.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Grumpy wrote:
johnh wrote:Grumpy, if you played local football on a Saturday and Sunday, our paths must have crossed at some time as I am only 6 years older than you. I played Yorkshire League on Saturdays but played several seasons on Sunday morning. In fact, I played when the Sunday league first started when there was only one division! Which clubs did you play for? :thumbup:
Ah! So you’re the old bugger who’s over 80 in the ‘How old are you’ topic. :wave: Another three years and I’ll be joining you :thumbup: .

Anyway, when I first went to Leeds, on Saturdays I played (probably for less than a season) with a Seacroft Club, the name of which I can’t remember (a Working Man’s club?). I got to playing with them because they used to play just off Oakwood Lane opposite where I lived at the time. After that I played with Micklefield and then Leeds Ashley Road in the Yorkshire League. On Sunday mornings I played with the Leeds United Supporters Club. At that time they were playing on the LICS ground at the junction of Geldered Road and Lowfields Road. I can’t remember the years I played with them but we won the Sunday League Cup. I know I was playing with them in the early 70’s ‘cos I was playing with them before I migrated to Oz in Feb 1975. Jack Roberts and his son Eric used to run the team when I was playing. I was also playing mid-week games with the Police team so I was pretty fit in those days!! Anyway, enough of my drivel who did you play with?
My Yorkshire League clubs were Yorkshire Amateur, Harrogate Town and Ossett Town. My Sunday league clubs were, Leeds United Supporters club (when they played on the pitches behind the main stand, was it called Fullerton Park?, before we were kicked off as Leeds said the pitch was getting too much wear.) I then played for The Plasterer's Arms (a pub on Meanwood road). We had a team of 11 Yorkshire League players and won the first division. (The guests at our celebration dinner were big Jack Charlton and Peter Gunby.) Finally, I played for Palmers Tyers who were another team of Yorkshire League players. My Yorkshire league career was from 1957 - 1968. My Sunday league was from 1961 - 1967.
I remember my first ever game in the Leeds Sunday league. The daughter of the couple who lived next door to us was courting a bloke who ran a team called The Maltshovel. A rough pub somewhere near Elland Road. He asked me to play for them. I think it was the first season of the Sunday league. (one Division).
I played my first game against a team that (reportedly) had five Rugby League players playing for them. At one stage, there were three fights going on in different parts of the pitch. The referee ignored them and the game carried on. I decided it wasn't for me and didn't start again until it was more organised!
I think my stint with Leeds United Supporters club was before your time. From memory, 1964-66 or thereabouts.
Good to hear from you Grumpy, keep posting. :thumbup:
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Davycc wrote:Hi Grumpy, a great story to which I can relate to in many ways :D Where abouts are you in the world and I'll add you to our members maps.
Near Adelaide in the hills to the east of the city I believe? :thumbup:
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

PockWhite wrote:
Davycc wrote:Hi Grumpy, a great story to which I can relate to in many ways :D Where abouts are you in the world and I'll add you to our members maps.
P.S. am loving reading grumpy and john's exchanges, it's like Smith & Jones all over again. :lol:
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by daib0 »

PockWhite wrote:
PockWhite wrote:
P.S. am loving reading grumpy and john's exchanges, it's like Smith & Jones all over again. :lol:
I'm enjoying it too, and I'm a roaming Reading fan - a wonderful forum this is :thumbup:
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Grumpy wrote:

Grumpy, just thinking about it, was your Seacroft club East End Park WMC? They played at Skelton Road, just off York Road.