Why Leeds United ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Why Leeds United ?

Post by Saxon »

I grew up just down the road from 'Elland Road', so it was a done deal. My City, my team, my neighbour, but it wasn't always easy in the early days when we had no history except yo yo ing up and down between 1st and 2nd divisions. I was so close to becoming a Spurs fan after seeing them destroy Athletico Madrid in the cup winners cup final, 1962 I believe. What an impression on 12 year old boy, anyway loyalty won through and here I am.I still look for their score right after our games.
First time I remember seeing Leeds play was as a small boy early 1950's. One Saturday morning my dad took me up to the training pitch on Fullerton Park to watch the juniors play. Afterwards we walked home for lunch then went back to Fullerton in the afternoon to watch the reserve team play an early afternoon kickoff. During the game one of the coaches said to my Dad, "I saw you here this morning, are you going to the first team game at 3o'clock?" Money was tight in those days so my Dad says "No we don't have any money". "Come with me at the end of this game " says the coach. He took us through the players entrance, out the tunnel onto the touchline, game had already started, so here we are walking the touchline in front of a big crowd.'Find somewhere for these people to stand' he says to a steward, so we jumped into what was the paddock near the players bench.God bless that coach.

I relayed this story as a submission in our Centenary celebration competition, it was called something like 'Your greatest Leeds United Memories', thought I might have got a shirt or something.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Saxon wrote:I grew up just down the road from 'Elland Road', so it was a done deal. My City, my team, my neighbour, but it wasn't always easy in the early days when we had no history except yo yo ing up and down between 1st and 2nd divisions. I was so close to becoming a Spurs fan after seeing them destroy Athletico Madrid in the cup winners cup final, 1962 I believe. What an impression on 12 year old boy, anyway loyalty won through and here I am.I still look for their score right after our games.
First time I remember seeing Leeds play was as a small boy early 1950's. One Saturday morning my dad took me up to the training pitch on Fullerton Park to watch the juniors play. Afterwards we walked home for lunch then went back to Fullerton in the afternoon to watch the reserve team play an early afternoon kickoff. During the game one of the coaches said to my Dad, "I saw you here this morning, are you going to the first team game at 3o'clock?" Money was tight in those days so my Dad says "No we don't have any money". "Come with me at the end of this game " says the coach. He took us through the players entrance, out the tunnel onto the touchline, game had already started, so here we are walking the touchline in front of a big crowd.'Find somewhere for these people to stand' he says to a steward, so we jumped into what was the paddock near the players bench.God bless that coach.

I relayed this story as a submission in our Centenary celebration competition, it was called something like 'Your greatest Leeds United Memories', thought I might have got a shirt or something.

Great story Saxon.
Skip forward "a few years" we were doing a weekend football trip about 12 of us who followed various teams. We were taking in a game on Saturday at Goodison then a game on Sunday at Villa Park. We had a few hours to spare so begrudgingly we drove the minibus to Old Trafford as a few of the group wanted to see it. We were to told the only way in was to book a tour but thankfully we didn't have time. I being the driver shot off to take in Elland Road. when we got there I said to a lady at a desk that we only had twenty minutes or so but she sent us to a gate to meet a groundsman who took us all in, did a fantastic tour and got us free burgers at a stall outside. I've never stopped telling them thats a real supporters club, mind you it may have changed slightly now lol
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

I'm an American and I fell in love with football as a child in the early '90s. At the time the U.S. didn't have a top flight (much less a club local to me), so I looked abroad to find a club. Manure seemed entitled, so I wanted to pick whichever club seemed to p*** them off the most, and Leeds it was. Tony Yeboah quickly affirmed my choice. MoT
Last edited by Barlow Boy on 26 Jul 2020, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language please
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

mshnd06 wrote:I'm an American and I fell in love with football as a child in the early '90s. At the time the U.S. didn't have a top flight (much less a club local to me), so I looked abroad to find a club. Manure seemed entitled, so I wanted to pick whichever club seemed to p*** them off the most, and Leeds it was. Tony Yeboah quickly affirmed my choice. MoT
Welcome in Mshnd06, what part of America are you from?
Last edited by Barlow Boy on 26 Jul 2020, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language please
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

Minnesota, in the Midwest
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

mshnd06 wrote:Minnesota, in the Midwest
Welcome in, small world we've just had a new member add their pin to our members map in Minnesota :thumbup:

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2609445#
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Welcome :wave:

For the record i once spent 12hours in Minnesota Airport after missing a connection :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Spent a few months working in Maple Grove during the late 90's. Really enjoyed my time there and the hospitality.
Still keep an eye out for results from the Vikings, Twins and Timberwolves :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
rschroe1
Giddy Kipper

Post by rschroe1 »

Hi everyone, my name is Rob, and I'm from Chicago, USA. I've followed the Premier League generally over the years but never had a club to follow. With a lot of time on my hands coming up this fall and winter thanks to the pandemic, I decided this would be a good year to throw in my lot with a side.

No one likes a frontrunner, so I chose between the three promoted teams. In my highly unscientific selection process, Leeds fit everything I would look for in a club to support: rich history, old and historic stadium, great fan base and a hated rival among the wealthy clubs.

So here I am, however randomly. Like any good American, I'm a bit of a football novice but looking forward to learning a lot more about the game moving forward.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rschroe1 wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Rob, and I'm from Chicago, USA. I've followed the Premier League generally over the years but never had a club to follow. With a lot of time on my hands coming up this fall and winter thanks to the pandemic, I decided this would be a good year to throw in my lot with a side.

No one likes a frontrunner, so I chose between the three promoted teams. In my highly unscientific selection process, Leeds fit everything I would look for in a club to support: rich history, old and historic stadium, great fan base and a hated rival among the wealthy clubs.

So here I am, however randomly. Like any good American, I'm a bit of a football novice but looking forward to learning a lot more about the game moving forward.
Welcome aboard. There's probably a million ways to find an allegiance to club luckily your way found you the most frustrating, wonderful, amazing, soul destroying unbelievable and greatest club in the world. Enjoy the ride with Leeds it's always a roller coaster.

I nearly forgot :) why not pop over to our new members section and add yourself to our members map.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders