Why Leeds United ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Why Leeds United ?

Post by Mr Russell »

JonatanH wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:Welcome to the forum JonatanH, its always great to see Leeds fans from around the world (I live in Australia, although I was born in the UK). Great story as well :thumbup:
Thank you very much. I've read really much on this forum lately, so finally I managed to register :)
My english is what you can call rusty, but I will try my best to make myself understandable.

Agreed, there is just something different about speaking with likeminded people who share the same memories.
Out of curiosity, did Viduka and Kewell play a role of why you support Leeds? Asking because of the Australia-link.

I'm glad you seemed to like my story :thumbup:
Sadly no, I'm a Leeds fan from back in the mid 70's (like your father), I was born about 20 miles (32kms) from the ground. Back in those days not many Aussies played in Europe but I did enjoy when Viduka and Kewell did play for us and before Kewell became the player he was I was lucky enough to meet him in a pub in Newcastle (New South Wales, Australia) and got to speak to him for a few hours. Sadly the way he left has left many Leeds fans (and some Aussie ones) angry at him.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Welcome to the forum Jonatan, I've added you to our map (somewhere random in Norway) let me know were abouts you are and I'll move you :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by daib0 »

Not sure where to write this, so thought this might be a good place ... please move if thought better!

Scotland Manager Gordon Strachan on his time at Leeds United

WINNING DIVISION TWO TITLE AT LEEDS, 1989-90

I know we won the main championship but to win the Second Division (two years earlier) I have to say was the most wonderful experience of my life.
Every Saturday for home games, there was nothing like it. The crowd used to drag the ball into the net. I loved that group with Vinnie (Jones) and Kammy (Chris Kamara).
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
JonatanH
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by JonatanH »

Davycc wrote:Welcome to the forum Jonatan, I've added you to our map (somewhere random in Norway) let me know were abouts you are and I'll move you :thumbup:
You can move me to Oslo, which is my hometown :)

Fun fact about me and my name;
As a child in early grade school, I forced my class mates and even the teacher to call me "Woodgate". My father bought me a LU jersey for the next season with Woodgate on the back. I just had to wear it in every gym class.
My appreciation for Leeds United was undoubted. There was Arsenal, Man U and 'pool fans in the class as well. But not as die hard as me.

I was called Woodgate for years by the boys and even the teacher. The girls didn't really care. After he went over to Newcastle I was tired of the name, because I didn't wanted to be recognized as a Newcastle supporter, even though he still was a Leeds Legend (imo then, and now). I tried to explain this in front of the class, but it didn't went exactly like it was supposed to. Everyone laughed, and some said "You must've seen this coming" etc.. After this even the girls called me Woodgate, and it lasted untill the end of my grade school. Still, if I hear someone call out "Woodgate", I quickly turn around in reflex.

As a senior player (not professional due to injuries) I moved to another local club to get more playtime. At the end of the third training I was no longer Jonatan. I was Howson. Some of the players did know about Leeds and Howson, and I was very impressed about this, cus' none of my friends or class mates bothered about this Championship team. When I ran with the ball on the flank, I could hear clearly the striker was screaming "HOWSOON, I'm free". Then it begun. I couldn't complain, cus' he was a player I looked up to. I'm still playing for the same team in the 5 division in Norway and my nickname is still of course, Howson. Doesn't matter that much to me now. He did go to Norwich, but i don't give a damn about that club. I've always seen Norwich as a cozy little granny club, and I don't know if they even have a Norwegian supporter club :P

Enough about me. Feels good to be welcomed, and now it's time to participate on the forum
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Good post that Woody :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

That's you moved to Oslo :thumbup: keep up the posts.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
blackpool white
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by blackpool white »

back in '69 as a 10 year old, all my mates supported man city on the basis of them winning the cup that year. Think in those days the fa cup was much more of an occasion then it is now, being the only live football match shown on tv. Cameras would follow each team from the breakfast table to the changing rooms.

Our local shopkeeper used to play amateur football on a sunday and would take me and my mate with him. Gosh, this would never happen now, he would be suspected of all sorts of abuse, but it was perfectly acceptable in the day.

On Saturdays he would go to elland road and started taking me with him, I remember the first time, it was against forest and we won 6-1. From that day on I was an ardent Leeds fan. Still celebrate 29 october as the anniversary of first becoming a white.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

After reading blackpool whites post & celebrating the 29th October got me thinking anyway on November 5th I will have officially been a Leeds fan for 50 years. :thumbup:
Winner of the Europa League
Belfast Dave
Giddy Kipper

Post by Belfast Dave »

My first memory of Leeds United was the 1970 FA Cup against Chelsea as a 4 yr old in Belfast. I watched Bemner and Giles battle their socks off in vain and dreamtof being able to play like them , sadly I was built like Jack Charlton with the touch of a Lubomir Michailik. After living abroad for years I settled in Beeston and my first match was Leeds v Liverpool in the FA Cup of 2001 . Both were defeats but a sign of better things to come (or so I thought). As a season ticket holder for the past 8 years I am feeling bullish about this current team and our erudite Manager.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Belfast Dave wrote:My first memory of Leeds United was the 1970 FA Cup against Chelsea as a 4 yr old in Belfast. I watched Bemner and Giles battle their socks off in vain and dreamtof being able to play like them , sadly I was built like Jack Charlton with the touch of a Lubomir Michailik. After living abroad for years I settled in Beeston and my first match was Leeds v Liverpool in the FA Cup of 2001 . Both were defeats but a sign of better things to come (or so I thought). As a season ticket holder for the past 8 years I am feeling bullish about this current team and our erudite Manager.
Nice story, Dave - I think we all WISH we had the touch of Lubo ;)