In with the young and out with the old?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

In with the young and out with the old?

Post by Aces »

Just wondering what everyone thinks about keeping the youngsters in with Hunt and Diouf missing, is this the way to go? Young fit eager and able players with the older players on the bench for when we need them? They sure looked good today, or am I getting carried away?

Super Leeds.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: In with the young and out with the old?

Post by Mellor »

Yes, keep 'em in. I've always wanted a young team. Tired of journeymen on a final pay day.

Yes, you're getting carried away ;) Birmingham were truly shocking at the back. That's a club in crisis.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

There is no way that BMcD can change the team after that result other than for injuries.
I once played against Don Revie.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Mellor wrote:Yes, keep 'em in. I've always wanted a young team. Tired of journeymen on a final pay day.

Yes, you're getting carried away ;) Birmingham were truly shocking at the back. That's a club in crisis.
It's a nice feeling being a bit carried away TBH. :lol:

I thought Hunt was a good experienced signing, but the speed and movement and tracking back to help from these youngsters today was a sight for sore eyes.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

johnh wrote:There is no way that BMcD can change the team after that result other than for injuries.

Let's hope your right, he is a shrewd manager, Reading were shocking at the beginning of their promotion year until he Sussed out his best team, let's hope history is about to repeat itself mate.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I'd like a young team with a couple of experienced players. But experienced doesn't mean age as journeymen have just played a long time in the lower divisions. No, I want players with international and Premier League experience - like Kenny, Warnock and Diouf. Green's got international experience, to be fair, but he's never played in the Premier League. While Hunt's had cameos with both.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

If they are good enough they are old enough and today proved that, Mowatt doesn't look like a kid, when young Dawson played last season he looked like a kid playing in a team of adults, no disrespect to him but sometimes players are not physically upto it.

Byram struggled at first but he has got much better, Mowatt is a tough nut, he can mix it with the experienced players - he's the best young Leeds player I have seen for a long time, maybe even the best.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Sheepy wrote:If they are good enough they are old enough and today proved that, Mowatt doesn't look like a kid, when young Dawson played last season he looked like a kid playing in a team of adults, no disrespect to him but sometimes players are not physically upto it.

Byram struggled at first but he has got much better, Mowatt is a tough nut, he can mix it with the experienced players - he's the best young Leeds player I have seen for a long time, maybe even the best.

I hope your right, also with Byram, Wooton and Smith we look like we have some good youngsters, plus there's others as well. I still say BMD needs at least a couple of years to create a good young competitive side and I think we the fans can be patient-ish as long as we see performances like today.
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

Sheepy wrote:Mowatt is a tough nut, he can mix it with the experienced players - he's the best young Leeds player I have seen for a long time, maybe even the best.
After my rave reviews about young Alex in my Donny match report on another forum & also from fans I travel with on our SC, several made negative comments such as :

"It was only one game"

"You are overrating him"

"We shouldn't play him as it would be putting too much pressure on the lad"

"He was knackered in the second half, he lacks stamina"

"I've seen many young players lose their way"

"Tonge & Green are a much better options in midfield"

Tbh after all the above negative comments I wondered if I had dream't what I had witnessed :?
Yes Sheepy Mowatt is the best young player I've seen in many a year. First name on the teamsheet for me :thumbup:
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Aces wrote:Just wondering what everyone thinks about keeping the youngsters in with Hunt and Diouf missing, is this the way to go? Young fit eager and able players with the older players on the bench for when we need them? They sure looked good today, or am I getting carried away?
Of course you're getting carried away (only a bit). :)

For me, it's not a black or white issue, there's no "banking on the youth" direction to take to the detriment of another category of any kind. As Sheepy put it, if they're good enough, they should play, regardless, and that's just what we saw with Byram last year and what we're seeing with Mowatt this year.

"Young, fit and eager" doesn't work without the (very) "able" bit at the end, and I'm sure that's the mindset McDermott is applying. Mowatt will make mistakes at some point, or he might need resting, an older player not showing the same perceived drive doesn't mean he'll always be less worthy of playing than a youngster in the same position.

It bodes well for the future, so we just need to make sure we hang on to these youngsters and give them just the right amount of game time that makes them develop year on year.