Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Post by SMorientes »

I may have it wrong but I have Blackstock down as competition for McCormack's role, not Smith's. I hope that's right because Smith deserves a run, he's been patient and made the most of every opportunity he's been given.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

SMorientes wrote:I may have it wrong but I have Blackstock down as competition for McCormack's role, not Smith's.
Was just about to post the same thing. Blackstock looks the more mobile type, able to provide something different from Smith, and maybe create space and chances for him on a few occasions too.
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

SMorientes wrote:I may have it wrong but I have Blackstock down as competition for McCormack's role, not Smith's. I hope that's right because Smith deserves a run, he's been patient and made the most of every opportunity he's been given.

i was thinking the same thing, keep Ross on his toes as he feels irreplaceable at this moment in time.
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Smith had a v good game on Sunday but he's still raw and young whilst possibly our best threat in the air. I think most of us thought that being so young he was brought in as a squad player for now, one who could make a big impact in the air when brought on, possibly as a last resort. If I were Diouf and Varney and even Hunt (BMcD's signing), I'd be worried, and to much less extent, Poleon too, about Blackstock's arrival. But competition for places is good when your manager is straight up with his players. :thumbup:
Danny
Giddy Kipper

Post by Danny »

SMorientes wrote:
I actually was expecting him to be good in the air. From the videos on youtube he seems to score loads of headers. The video of his goals at qpr is 75% headed goals.
Somewhere up the M1 between London and Nottingham he must've misplaced his heading ability. When he goes up for a header it's pot luck as to where the ball will end up. Not having seen much of him prior to him signing for us I was expecting him to be a bit of a target man due to his size but truth be told he's better with the ball at his feet, at least for us anyway. It's not that he's terrible with his head but he's not as good as you might expect a forward who's over 6 feet tall might be. That may have something to do with the fact that we've had a paucity of wingers during his time at the club. He was at his best when playing alongside another forward too, particularly Robert Earnshaw.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Ah, just seen a picture of him with '9' on his shorts.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Danny wrote:
SMorientes wrote:
I actually was expecting him to be good in the air. From the videos on youtube he seems to score loads of headers. The video of his goals at qpr is 75% headed goals.
Somewhere up the M1 between London and Nottingham he must've misplaced his heading ability. When he goes up for a header it's pot luck as to where the ball will end up. Not having seen much of him prior to him signing for us I was expecting him to be a bit of a target man due to his size but truth be told he's better with the ball at his feet, at least for us anyway. It's not that he's terrible with his head but he's not as good as you might expect a forward who's over 6 feet tall might be. That may have something to do with the fact that we've had a paucity of wingers during his time at the club. He was at his best when playing alongside another forward too, particularly Robert Earnshaw.
Paucity - great word
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

A few years ago he was earmarked for great things, he just might be what we need, he might not, let's see.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Decent signing, ticks a few boxes especially the 'pace' and 'experience' ones. He also increases the competition for places. Poor Matt Smith must have thought he had cracked it after his two goals and performance against Birmingham. Bringing in Blackstock will force him to be consistent.

Starting with a hat-trick in the next game!
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Why is Billy D moving Dexter on - anyone know? Hopefully he's a Strachan not a Sharpe.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente