Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Postby dlw10 » 27 Oct 2013, 10:54

Ditto from me. It is a matter of some folk swallowing some pride. We bent over backwards to retain him when we thought he was leaving and gave him a big new contract. BM also said how important he was to his team at the time. BUT things change, it seems clear to most that he isn't "on form" at the moment so he needs to be left out to see if others can give us more. Big decisions needed.
User avatar
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: 13 Sep 2011, 23:56
Location: Stoke on Trent

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Postby Aces » 27 Oct 2013, 11:22

I must have imagined him having a really good game against Birmingham last week, I was going to say ..... Amazing, but that would be a tad over dramatic. I'm not saying he is playing good enough to not be considered for a drop to the bench, but ....... He was quality last week.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
User avatar
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller
 
Posts: 6412
Joined: 04 Jun 2013, 19:10

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Postby Barlow Boy » 27 Oct 2013, 12:38

Not sure if anyone watched the players warming up yesterday, but Ross, Smith, Austin and a bit later on Varney were playing the ball to the coach who was laying it off with the players then taking shots at goal.

Smith and Austin were regularly putting the ball in the back of the net, but Ross was repeatedly hitting it straight at the keeper or putting the ball wide, he seemed to be sort of rolling his foot over the ball meaning he wasn't hitting the ball correctly and the ball did not go where he intended to it to go. I noticed he did the very same thing during the game, in the first half. At one point during the warm up, when the fans started cheering if the ball hit the net, Ross went off to one side to do some stretching as if he knew he would not score. He joined in again a bit later.

As I said in the match thread, there is no way Smith can be dropped and I personally would like to see Blackstock up with him. Will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday when 3 points are an absolute must.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 9227
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 19:28
Location: Barlow, obviously.

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Postby SiMamu » 27 Oct 2013, 13:19

Barlow Boy wrote:Not sure if anyone watched the players warming up yesterday, but Ross, Smith, Austin and a bit later on Varney were playing the ball to the coach who was laying it off with the players then taking shots at goal.

Smith and Austin were regularly putting the ball in the back of the net, but Ross was repeatedly hitting it straight at the keeper or putting the ball wide, he seemed to be sort of rolling his foot over the ball meaning he wasn't hitting the ball correctly and the ball did not go where he intended to it to go. I noticed he did the very same thing during the game, in the first half. At one point during the warm up, when the fans started cheering if the ball hit the net, Ross went off to one side to do some stretching as if he knew he would not score. He joined in again a bit later.

As I said in the match thread, there is no way Smith can be dropped and I personally would like to see Blackstock up with him. Will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday when 3 points are an absolute must.

Sounds like it is a confidence with McCormack then. Can't believe people wanted McCormack as captain, not strong enough mentally.
"I wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
User avatar
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 10829
Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 14:07

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Postby Mellor » 27 Oct 2013, 13:58

SiMamu wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Not sure if anyone watched the players warming up yesterday, but Ross, Smith, Austin and a bit later on Varney were playing the ball to the coach who was laying it off with the players then taking shots at goal.

Smith and Austin were regularly putting the ball in the back of the net, but Ross was repeatedly hitting it straight at the keeper or putting the ball wide, he seemed to be sort of rolling his foot over the ball meaning he wasn't hitting the ball correctly and the ball did not go where he intended to it to go. I noticed he did the very same thing during the game, in the first half. At one point during the warm up, when the fans started cheering if the ball hit the net, Ross went off to one side to do some stretching as if he knew he would not score. He joined in again a bit later.

As I said in the match thread, there is no way Smith can be dropped and I personally would like to see Blackstock up with him. Will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday when 3 points are an absolute must.

Sounds like it is a confidence with McCormack then. Can't believe people wanted McCormack as captain, not strong enough mentally.


Although a critic as in should never have bought/should have sold the fact remains that he could have had 4 v Blues and has scored 20 ish a couple of times in his career. He's also an exciting player. If he'd had his shooting boots on yesterday he could have scored following one of his mazy runs.

Trouble is, like Blues, he fluffed his shot which he does more often than not. When he scores it can be sublime.


If he plays he has to have a free rein to do what he wants, to do the unexpected. The other 10 have to accept that it may not come off, he may lose the ball. Losing the ball in and around the penalty area is acceptable, taking risks is how chances are created. No risk football is dull football.

We have two huge weaknesses IMO.

1. Movement - insufficient.
2. Defending when attacking - concentration and shape goes out the window when we get excited.

If the players aren't good enough 1 may be difficult to solve.

But 2 should be sortable providing we acknowledge its a problem. How hard is it to set up to support Ross? He has the ball, he's gonna run at the heart of the defence. When it happens we need our back 4 in line across the pitch with 2 protecting in front. That still leaves 3 to support Ross as required and critically to hound the opposition if we lose the ball. Ross has to be encouraged to run at defenders - to make his own goals. Max made his own goals. Messi makes his own goals. Ross is No Messi but he's as skillful as Max if less quick/confident.

But we need energy in midfield. Players who are fit and quick. And everyone needs to know their job. Doesn't look like they do to me.

As for movement, I think Ross + Blackstock is a better option than Smith + Ross. Ross needs space not flick ons from a big lad IMO.

I wish BM well with the Ross conundrum and the whole conundrum of Lufc. That's one tough job. Every one of our players has more ability in their little toe than I have in my whole body. I hate being critical but it's inevitable when we are poor far too often.

Beyond Ross I hope BM sticks with the yoof. Sooner see Murphy make it into the box and miss than watch Warnock's identikit midfield saunter around on the half way line.

Unfortunately I must miss Yeovil. A real opportunity to find our form/confidence. Come on Brian kick 'em into shape cos yesterday we looked lethargic.
Last edited by Mellor on 27 Oct 2013, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
User avatar
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent
 
Posts: 3824
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 15:30
Location: Hitsville UK

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Postby dlw10 » 27 Oct 2013, 15:42

Aces wrote:I must have imagined him having a really good game against Birmingham last week, I was going to say ..... Amazing, but that would be a tad over dramatic. I'm not saying he is playing good enough to not be considered for a drop to the bench, but ....... He was quality last week.


Well, actually no he wasn't quality last week either - not in my view. He was again wasteful with his chances. Yes, he was very energetic and made more decent runs than he has done in most matches but to say he had a really good game is stretching the point a bit since he was playing as a striker. Look, I know Mac can be a scorer of sensational goals, we've seen him do it; I also know that when he was playing with Becchio it was Ross who set up many of his goals and chances. BUT all this season he has in my opinion played well below what should be expected with just a few flashes of brilliance. I really do think now is the time to remove him from the limelight just as Grayson eventually had to do way back.
User avatar
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: 13 Sep 2011, 23:56
Location: Stoke on Trent

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Postby SiMamu » 10 Dec 2013, 17:49

"I wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
User avatar
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 10829
Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 14:07

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Postby vikingleeds » 10 Dec 2013, 17:52

SiMamu wrote:Blackstock has returned to Forest due to needing knee surgery
http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/1t2jm8l5ztrpj11v319t2jsx04/title/blackstock-returns-to-forest


he'll be out injured for the season good luck to him, and thanks you blackstock for your service
User avatar
vikingleeds
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 21 Jul 2013, 21:42

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Postby SiMamu » 10 Dec 2013, 17:56

vikingleeds wrote:
SiMamu wrote:Blackstock has returned to Forest due to needing knee surgery
http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/1t2jm8l5ztrpj11v319t2jsx04/title/blackstock-returns-to-forest


he'll be out injured for the season good luck to him, and thanks you blackstock for your service

Yeah, just about to post that.
From Nottingham Forest
http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/article/blackstock-out-for-season-1227925.aspx
"I wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
User avatar
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 10829
Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 14:07

Re: Leeds sign Dexter Blackstock on loan

Postby Sheepy » 10 Dec 2013, 20:02

This is one of the few reasons why loan signings are good. If we had just signed him on a permanent deal this would have been a disaster.
User avatar
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 14444
Joined: 17 Apr 2013, 12:32
Location: Rothwell

PreviousNext

Return to LUFC TALK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: corkleedsmot and 11 guests