Boro Fan in Peace

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
StLewi
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Re: Boro Fan in Peace

Post by StLewi »

I guess you're right.

Most away days aren't just about the match anyway. It's a chance to blow off some steam, have a few beers in a different city and have a laugh with your mates. As long as people are enjoying their away trips, they'll still pay for the ticket, even if they believe it's overpriced. Therefore, nothing will change.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Mellor wrote:When the movement of away fans into the west was proposed I can't remember any dissent, on the contrary, fans were keen to release the south for home fans. Once in the west you have to charge the going rate or the home fans would (quite rightly) cry foul. Boro fans are being charged the going rate as far as I'm aware. Compare with our trip to Blackburn (as just one example) where we are being ripped off with a callous price hike.

Watching football at ER is expensive. If we had a modern, cheap to run stadium I have no doubt we could charge less. Alternatively we could disappoint our south standers who seem extremely pleased that they have season tickets in there once again.

Given that the new smoggie manager cites the superb Boro fans as a reason for taking up the reigns on Teesside you wouldn't expect £4 (we are paying £32 at Ewood and have a 6.8k allocation) to reduce the number of travellers for a Yorkshire derby.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Bates IMO - it's actually a national problem if anything - well that and apathy in the NE.
Agree with all that. We had the same discussion about the away fans in the WS not long ago and I went through the initial topic of reactions at the time the switch was made - it was very well received back then, apart from the high cost of setting up that enclosure in the WS car park. Then it started to look bad because attendances dropped, but I think it's paying off again this year as crowds gradually seem to return. With the cheese wedge and half the SS reserved for away fans, there would be a few thousand tickets that Leeds fans would have to take up in the more expensive East & West stands.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Only saw Middlesbrough on two occasions. In about 1948 when they played Everton at Goodison Park. I remember their goalkeeper was an Italian called Ugalini and Wilf Mannion played. The second time was in the early 1970's to see Swindon v Middlesbrough when big Jack was manager of boro.
I think we will win 2 - 0 on Saturday. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Bogdan wrote:
Mellor wrote:When the movement of away fans into the west was proposed I can't remember any dissent, on the contrary, fans were keen to release the south for home fans. Once in the west you have to charge the going rate or the home fans would (quite rightly) cry foul. Boro fans are being charged the going rate as far as I'm aware. Compare with our trip to Blackburn (as just one example) where we are being ripped off with a callous price hike.

Watching football at ER is expensive. If we had a modern, cheap to run stadium I have no doubt we could charge less. Alternatively we could disappoint our south standers who seem extremely pleased that they have season tickets in there once again.

Given that the new smoggie manager cites the superb Boro fans as a reason for taking up the reigns on Teesside you wouldn't expect £4 (we are paying £32 at Ewood and have a 6.8k allocation) to reduce the number of travellers for a Yorkshire derby.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Bates IMO - it's actually a national problem if anything - well that and apathy in the NE.
Agree with all that. We had the same discussion about the away fans in the WS not long ago and I went through the initial topic of reactions at the time the switch was made - it was very well received back then, apart from the high cost of setting up that enclosure in the WS car park. Then it started to look bad because attendances dropped, but I think it's paying off again this year as crowds gradually seem to return. With the cheese wedge and half the SS reserved for away fans, there would be a few thousand tickets that Leeds fans would have to take up in the more expensive East & West stands.
Correct!

If I'm not mistaken the new away coach park (costly to establish no doubt) makes policing easier which was also cited as important at the time. There were problems as away fans made their way to the old car park. The lack of problems has allowed LUFC fans to reclaim Billy's statue post game for photos.

Only a radical overhaul of English football will generate a return to sensible pricing I fear. I note the premier league away prices on the general discussion thread and wonder if I will make many/any aways when we return to the land that time forgot. In deference to the Mrs I stick to the northern games which means I'm home in time to break bread with the family but even those may have to go at the prices on offer. Mind you, I expect to win the cup at the start of every season so I tend to break my northern rule for sudden death - who could fail to be tempted by Histon :D
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Agree it is a national problem - what has happened to that movement that was started with a fanfair last season "twenty is plenty" where they were trying to limit away prices to just £20. The point about charging the same as home fans in the West stand is not as simple as that - you ought to get what you pay for. The issue is that the view from up there in the South West corner is diabolical - it's why it was always the last place to sell when we sold out before it became an away sanctuary. I am sure the away fans could actually sue us under the sale of goods act as those seats are just not fit for purpose and really should sell at a discount!!!!!
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Is it worse than the North End of the stand? I went in the North Front Paddock, almost in the NW corner, with the family v Shrews and we had a good view. Presumably anyone behind a pillar pays a restricted view price. Not disagreeing, just never been in there.

I started my ER career with my owd fella in the front paddock at the south end and we were always satisfied.
attacco decente
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

Mellor wrote:Is it worse than the North End of the stand? I went in the North Front Paddock, almost in the NW corner, with the family v Shrews and we had a good view. Presumably anyone behind a pillar pays a restricted view price. Not disagreeing, just never been in there.

I started my ER career with my owd fella in the front paddock at the south end and we were always satisfied.
The problems include the pillars - and they are the same price although they are disclosed at time of purchase. Worse than that though is that many of the seats are actually behind the goal line at the South end and in the shadow of the big screen and often deafened by the PA ! Add to that the fact it is dark and you start to get an idea how inhospitable it is up there! Just by way of illumination - in case you still think it can't be that bad, here is an extract from my book on last season. It is actually an e-mail I got from a very good friend of mine who happens to be a huge Chelsea fan. He was at the League Cup game last season. The text is exactly as he wrote to me after the game:

We’ll laugh about it privately over a pint in the future no doubt, but I must admit the contrast between being treated with decency, respect, and politeness, as you no doubt were, in the Pavilion before the game, and then Sheila and I being sent, as problem sub-humans, up from London, to THOSE seats in that dark and dismal corner of the West Stand, might be a bit stark. I am not getting at your club, but that was just about the worst seat I’ve ever had. AND it wasn’t even the worst seat in our allocation last night. I can remember something almost as bad, in the 80’s, at The Dell, but they pulled that down… Apart from the seat, which looked along/at the back row of the lower tier of the South Stand, and also at the side/back of the big screen (imagine my deafness, complete with my frustration at seeing nowt!); a particular high point of the evening was being asked at the turnstile to remove my cap, in case I had anything under it. (I wish! Hair I mean...or half a brain!). This has only happened to me once before, at Darlo, when they were at Feethams, and then the steward in question was a 16 year-old YTS lad, by the look of him. The bloke last night was our age, working to orders no doubt. Everyone’s got to follow orders, follow the herd. Of course, you must have similar stories of your own from away trips (being ‘vile animals’, like). Who is going to break this mould? If we are treated like morons, then we will be morons, and it will just get worse. What was the point of the Taylor Report? Why do we pay a fortune for seats, if we can’t sit in them? And the atmosphere is still as bad, if not worse, than it was in the 70s and 80s!

Suffice to say he felt they were the worst seats he'd ever had...and believe me he is a more traveled fan than most. Still think they will be OK?
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Reminds me of Carlisle :D

Sounds like our owners need to and could legitimately extend the restricted view pricing in the away seats. All should then be well :thumbup:

Chelsea fan moaning about the seat he was allocated by Ken though, after all he did for 'em :D
attacco decente
StLewi
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by StLewi »

My tickets don't have 'restricted view' on them. Does that mean my view isn't restricted or they have taken it off the tickets? Area C16 row MM...
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

StLewi wrote:My tickets don't have 'restricted view' on them. Does that mean my view isn't restricted or they have taken it off the tickets? Area C16 row MM...
I am sure the tickets would be marked. My guess would be that they don't need to use the restricted view tickets for the Boro game - ie 1,900 ought not to fill the whole area so the restricted view tickets (ie those behind supporting pillars) needn't be used but I'm only guessing.