Abundance of youth

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Abundance of youth

Post by dlw10 »

Article on the OS today about the U21 win at Sunderland really is encouraging. That man Lewis Walters scored two more while Thompson, Dawson, Poleon, all apparently looked good. I can't wait to get to see Lewis Walters get a game - I know we have a lot of strikers/forward players lurking about but it would be good to have him on the bench soon so he could come on if we were in a healthy lead.

Two goals from Lewis Walters and one from Kalvin Philips secured the Development Squad a friendly win at Sunderland on Monday.
Neil Redfearn’s side travelled to Wearside to face the Premier League youngsters in a behind-closed-doors game and left with a satisfying 3-1 victory.
Senior professional development coach Redfearn was happy with the performance of his young charges against a Sunderland side largely made up of third year professionals.
“We were the better side overall although they started better in second half," said Neil.
“We managed the game well and looked dangerous with the pace of (Dominic) Poleon and (Lewis) Walters on the counter.
“It was a good team performance, but trialist Richard Bryan looked very good at the back and Dan Atkinson made some good saves when the game was 1-1.
“Zac Thompson and Chris Dawson were very good, with the three front man of Walters, Luke Parkin and Poleon looking dangerous throughout.”
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: Abundance of youth

Post by jjrgreeney »

great to see the academy is bringing through some good exciting talent, I just hope we can keep hold of them and hope big boys don't come sniffing around before we can give them a chance, Lewis Walters does seem to look decent and all ive heard about him is good things and dawson will be a quality player in a few years.

I agree with dlw I would like to see walters on the bench but think it is something best left for next season maybe and give the lad more chance to develop this season and perhaps find him a loan out to lower division sides in the January window and maybe look to bring him into the squad next season if he is still going strong and we have got rid of some of our older more wasteful players.
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Slightly worried about Dawson. Jonny Williams of Palace is 5ft6 and a skinny lad too, has become very injury prone and is often played on the wing, possibly to avoid the physical battles of the midfield. Dawson needs to develop a build like Norris and Cazorla in order for him to hold his own, in my opinion.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

SiMamu wrote:Slightly worried about Dawson. Jonny Williams of Palace is 5ft6 and a skinny lad too, has become very injury prone and is often played on the wing, possibly to avoid the physical battles of the midfield. Dawson needs to develop a build like Norris and Cazorla in order for him to hold his own, in my opinion.

he is still only a pup mate time is on his side, plenty of time to beef up more about focusing on his football at the moment
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

jjrgreeney wrote:
SiMamu wrote:Slightly worried about Dawson. Jonny Williams of Palace is 5ft6 and a skinny lad too, has become very injury prone and is often played on the wing, possibly to avoid the physical battles of the midfield. Dawson needs to develop a build like Norris and Cazorla in order for him to hold his own, in my opinion.

he is still only a pup mate time is on his side, plenty of time to beef up more about focusing on his football at the moment
True, he's definitely got the technical ability.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

jjrgreeney wrote:
He is actually 19 years & two months old, only a year younger than Byram. I don't think that's the age at which a player only focuses on his football, especially one of his stature. The next couple of years will probably be crucial for his career path, but I would say he's definitely got more than the technical quality of his football to think about, because he's got a small mountain to climb on the physical side, which is simply too crucial in today's game.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Different people's bodies mature at different rates. He might be the same age as Byram but he's clearly still growing and bulking out, probably will continue to do so for 4-5 years. I know at 19 I was far skinnier than I was at 23. There's not that much he can do about it, he can try and build his upper body and stuff but he will only become a more solid shape through growing naturally and that will happen in due course. He's clearly a skilled footballer and I think by the age of 21 will be a first team regular.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

SMorientes wrote:he's clearly still growing and bulking out
But that particular bit is conjecture, surely, as it's made to sound as if he's already at a more advanced physical stage than say a year or two ago (I don't remember him back then, but I'd worry if he was even smaller or thinner :) ). He might go either way, but think it's fair to say he won't make up the half a foot in height difference to Byram. I'd be glad if he made up the body strength deficit, but I don't think it's that outlandish to say his odds are stacked against him at the moment.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I recall a certain Peter Beardsley being rejected at Man Utd because he was too small, a few years later after he matured he became one of the best English players in the game.
Dawson looks like a kid, but as crazy as this sounds, he will probably grow up and bulk up in the space of a few months, its just a case of hoping it happens reasonably quickly!
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Bogdan wrote:
SMorientes wrote:he's clearly still growing and bulking out
But that particular bit is conjecture, surely, as it's made to sound as if he's already at a more advanced physical stage than say a year or two ago (I don't remember him back then, but I'd worry if he was even smaller or thinner :) ). He might go either way, but think it's fair to say he won't make up the half a foot in height difference to Byram. I'd be glad if he made up the body strength deficit, but I don't think it's that outlandish to say his odds are stacked against him at the moment.
Being somewhat diminutive myself I feel compelled to argue that size isn't everything. Some of the best footballers in the world are far shorter than your average man on the street. In some ways it gives them an edge. I know we are not Barcelona but other than Piqué they are largely Lilliputian, but still built well enough to be strong in the challenge and that. I don't feel Dawson's lack of height will hold him back too much, he just needs to put on some weight, which he probably finds difficult while his body is still growing, it will come soon enough.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."