Ex-Player/Manager Watch

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Ex-Player/Manager Watch

Post by Daz5 »

True Leeds Legend is Beckford
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Jermaine Beckford announces his retirement:-

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... d-16820369
He's Leeds and he knows it. All the best JB
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Jermaine Beckford announces his retirement:-

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... d-16820369
Hells Bells! Thought he'd packed it in a couple of years ago!

He was a goodun mind. A legend indeed. Never forget his line "whose shirt am I wearing Bruv?" when he was persistently questioned about transfer rumours. :clap:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Gary Monk new Sheffield Wed manager.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Great article in The Athletic today (anyone else bitten the bullet and subscribed?) on Steve Morison and his time at Leeds. I never liked the man, but having read it I've actually totally changed my mind. The story also throws further light on the total chaos the club was in under both GFH and Cellino. A few key exceprts below:

On signing for Leeds and 'negotiating' with GFH:

Even before [the transfer deal with Becchio going the other way to Norwich] went through, the swap exposed Morison to the maddening brand of management and ownership that Leeds were exposed to at the time. He was signed on the watch of Gulf Finance House, the Bahraini bank that controlled United for 14 months, and when he first arrived for contract talks he was offered half his wage at Norwich. An embarrassed Warnock politely asked Morison to leave the room.

“My agent came out and he said to me, ‘That was so funny’,” Morison says. “Warnock sat there and said, ‘Listen, can we just do this properly please? Do you think he’s going to come from Norwich for half the money?'” Negotiations got even more bizarre when Morison was asked to accept either a two-and-a-half- or three-and-a-half-year contract — the latter paying him more money a week. “I took the second option, thank you,” Morison jokes. “My agent had to make out like he was seriously asking me about it.”

On returning to Leeds after a loan spell at Millwall:

What Morison returned to at Elland Road was an even stranger scenario than the situation he left. Massimo Cellino had acquired the club from Gulf Finance House and the Italian’s eccentric, confrontational manner caused endless problems. He effectively mothballed United’s training ground during the off-season, and when the players reported back, the canteen was no longer functioning. Morison told The Athletic how he was given a “strike” by the Football Association’s doping department after failing to notify them of his exact whereabouts when he drove to Boston Spa to buy lunch for the coaching staff. The FA was preparing to carry out a drugs test and insisted on knowing Morison’s location.

“I go to get some sandwiches for everyone because there’s no food, and I end up causing myself a problem,” he says. “There were so many stupid things going on. You come in one day and Steve Thompson (assistant to Neil Redfearn in 2015) is being sacked for not saying hello to Nicola Salerno (Cellino’s sporting director)."
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Son of ex player Alf Inge Haaland scores his 4th hat trick of the season;-

A star of the future?

What is happening?

Erling Braut Haaland has just bagged his fourth hat trick of the season for Red Bull Salzburg, on his Champions League debut. That's 17 goals in nine games now for him.

The 19-year-old son of Alf-Inge made a stir when he scored nine goals as Norway thrashed Honduras 12-0 at the Fifa Under-20 World Cup in Poland in May.

The Austrians now lead Genk 5-1 at half-time. What a half.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

He came up in conversation here before (at least I think i was here). I've definitely heard great things about him for at least a couple of years.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

kk_white wrote:He came up in conversation here before (at least I think i was here). I've definitely heard great things about him for at least a couple of years.
He's a Leeds fan and last year he stated that his dream was to win the Premier League with us.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

MOT1964 wrote:
kk_white wrote:He came up in conversation here before (at least I think i was here). I've definitely heard great things about him for at least a couple of years.
He's a Leeds fan and last year he stated that his dream was to win the Premier League with us.
Destiny? It may all becoming together just at the right time.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Robert Snodgrass retires from International football aged 32. Only won 28 caps, thought it would have been more to be honest.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.