Disastrous

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Disastrous

Post by Aqua- »

Despite over achiving this season, i would call it a disappointing season.
Someone noted that after derby he expected promotion, i will even take a step forward and say: after brighton we still had a fairly comfortable gap with some fairly convinient schedual.
We had it in our hands and the whole club fell under the pressure.
Now at the last 2 matches we should have played with more passion then ever before in this season and we lost without even try that hard.
Now we still technically have oppertunity being in the play-off, however it is not up to us really and being there would relay completly on luck.

In conclusion: we had a good season with the proof of great potential, but also we gave up when we needed to run away.
The mental approach of the squad (including coaching staff) is not the one of a primership side yet.

And let me answer to GM's reference as "the one" with a quote directly from the matrix: "Your next life maybe, who knows?".
white hackle
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by white hackle »

Something quite revealing in this thread is attitude of some fans.

Fans thinking seventh is okay. Thinking we've incrementally improved. Thinking we did better than we thought. Thinking lots of the players are young. Thinking next year is our year.

We were in the top six. We were heading for the play offs. We blew it. When you get to that stage with young or old players, you've proved you can do it. When mid table is way behind you, your expectations rise. You push on and on. Get the job done.

If we hadn't got into the play off position. If we'd lagged behind or skirted with relegation, then maybe mid table or seventh would have been commendable. But not when you've just about tasted success.

I think it's been a disaster.

Can we snatch success from disaster. Maybe.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

white hackle wrote: I think it's been a disaster.
Not sure how long you've been going down to Elland Road pal, but it has most definitely not been a disaster.

Disappointing and frustrating maybe, but it has been a pleasure to stand amongst those fans home and away again, and I'm sure if you took a straw poll from those fans there tomorrow, not many would label it a disaster, particularly those who have been going down there over the last few years.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

White Hackle, this thread also tells us something about your attitude towards other fans who disagree with your bullish attitude on here and on what is actually a 'disaster'.

As Barlow Boy intimates, maybe you haven't been going to ER for long, I don't know, but there have been many improvements and the greatest for me will, I hope, be the ridding of the last of a too-long line of dodgy owners.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

white hackle wrote:Something quite revealing in this thread is attitude of some fans.

Fans thinking seventh is okay. Thinking we've incrementally improved. Thinking we did better than we thought. Thinking lots of the players are young. Thinking next year is our year.

We were in the top six. We were heading for the play offs. We blew it. When you get to that stage with young or old players, you've proved you can do it. When mid table is way behind you, your expectations rise. You push on and on. Get the job done.

If we hadn't got into the play off position. If we'd lagged behind or skirted with relegation, then maybe mid table or seventh would have been commendable. But not when you've just about tasted success.

Come on mate i'm sure your just poking the stick :shifty: Monk nearly (may have) succeeded in shaping a team full of average players on a shoestring budget into playoff contenders. If we made the playoffs imo were not quite ready this year anyway, but it has definitely given the fans some belief back. If that's a disaster of a season then all us Leeds fans should have topped ourselves by now. (not that i'm implying anyone do it) :D
white hackle

Post by white hackle »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Not sure how long you've been going down to Elland Road pal, but it has most definitely not been a disaster.

Disappointing and frustrating maybe, but it has been a pleasure to stand amongst those fans home and away again, and I'm sure if you took a straw poll from those fans there tomorrow, not many would label it a disaster, particularly those who have been going down there over the last few years.
My original post states : "To get to a position where the play offs looked likely, and to fluff it will be calamitous."

That's what I feel. Those defeats to Wolves and Burton, in particular, weren't just disappointing or frustrating to me. They were disastrous.

I don't think it was over ambitious of me to expect victories in these games.

I agree that after going to miserable games over the years you feel a bit better. Believe me that won't last for ever. Rightly you'll be expecting improvement next year. I was expecting it this year, on the basis of our position in the top six.
white hackle

Post by white hackle »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
white hackle wrote:Something quite revealing in this thread is attitude of some fans.

Come on mate i'm sure your just poking the stick :shifty: Monk nearly (may have) succeeded in shaping a team full of average players on a shoestring budget into playoff contenders. If we made the playoffs imo were not quite ready this year anyway, but it has definitely given the fans some belief back. If that's a disaster of a season then all us Leeds fans should have topped ourselves by now. (not that i'm implying anyone do it) :D
Get into the play offs and then we'd find out.

I don't want to, labour this. It was looking so good. I just can't get over the way we lost those six points against Wolves and Burton.

I'm not trying to wind fans up. If fans have enjoyed the season fair enough.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

white hackle wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

My original post states : "To get to a position where the play offs looked likely, and to fluff it will be calamitous."

That's what I feel. Those defeats to Wolves and Burton, in particular, weren't just disappointing or frustrating to me. They were disastrous.

I don't think it was over ambitious of me to expect victories in these games.

I agree that after going to miserable games over the years you feel a bit better. Believe me that won't last for ever. Rightly you'll be expecting improvement next year. I was expecting it this year, on the basis of our position in the top six.
You have a fair point in that getting to that position in the play offs, and then dropping away, is disappointing (again, I'll use that word rather than calamitous :thumbup:).

If I'm honest, and as Phil Hay has just touched upon on All Leeds Aren't We, I can see both sides. I suppose it boils down to what your expectations were in the first place, and mine were a much more settled season manager/head coach wise(tick), a much improved season on the pitch (tick) and less bickering amongst fans at the games (tick).

I'm happy with the season, but obviously I want to be happier come 5pm tomorrow.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I want to be happier come 5pm tomorrow.
Amen and if so then again 2pm next Sunday :thumbup: :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

When the season over, we will probably feel there were more positives than negatives. Given previous seasons, I definitely wouldn't call it a disaster.

However, it has been a very dissappointing end to season. The lack of posts on the Norwich thread reflects how a lot supporters feel about tomorrow's likely outcome.

Pontus's interview today was very revealing. First of all it was a lot more upbeat and inspiring than GM's comments in recent weeks. I think Monk has been great over the season but his defensive tactics and stubborness to change things are something he needs to reflect on at the end of the season. Pontus also mentioned there was plan for the Wolves game for him to get a yellow card (if we were winning). To my mind, that is very condescending and definitely letting the team get ahead of themselves.

On the plus side, Jannson seems to be committed to staying next year.