2017/18 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Acomb1
Terry Venables's car dealer

Re: 2017/18 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Acomb1 »

Can't help you with that, I've got some friends who watched York I think one still does since they dropped down the leagues I will ask him the next time I have a pint with him. I've never heard of him.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

From York City:
City, who recently took young Leeds goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell on a month's loan, are hoping to strengthen links with Leeds at Academy level going forward.
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

I don’t quite understand this: We offer Edmondson a 21/2 year contract and 18 years old, he will be free to go to another club - and he probably will, if he is any good. And LUFC will by the time have spent a lot of money and will earn nothing.
If he turns out not to be any good, LUFC will have spent a lot of money - and will earn nothing.

Why not offer him a 5 year contract? If he turns out to be any good, we will either have earned a good player or we could sell him.

Am I missing a point here? :wtf:
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

John Dane wrote:
I don’t quite understand this: We offer Edmondson a 21/2 year contract and 18 years old, he will be free to go to another club - and he probably will, if he is any good. And LUFC will by the time have spent a lot of money and will earn nothing.
If he turns out not to be any good, LUFC will have spent a lot of money - and will earn nothing.

Why not offer him a 5 year contract? If he turns out to be any good, we will either have earned a good player or we could sell him.

No disrespect at all but I would think you are, JD, like the rest of us who don't know how these things work with respect to signing young players etc. A 5 year contract to a kid might not even be legal but when they sign a player I'd bet they would plan to keep him if he turns out v good. We are a big club in certain respects and that IMO definitely applies to the plans for the future.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

John Dane wrote: Why not offer him a 5 year contract? If he turns out to be any good, we will either have earned a good player or we could sell him.

You are missing a point, I'm afraid, and it's that players under 23 can be transferred for a fee decided by tribunal so the contract won't make much difference, no matter how long or how generous it might be.
If a player decides he wants to go, he's perfectly within his rights to so long as the fee matches the valuation decided by the tribunal if the two clubs can't come to terms.
This is further complicated by the Academy system, with Level 1 trumping all the smaller organisations below that tier. I'm not sure of the details but I'm sure the fees are very low if a L1 club chooses to take a kid from an L2 or a team with no "official" academy in place, with the reason being it's in the player's interest to better himself with the best possible coaching he can get (mainly because it benefits the England team in the long run).
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

I can see, that there is more to it, than I was aware of, ANS & Rigger - thank you for a quick course in English rules on contracts :thumbup:
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

Is it just me, or has both our goalkeepers been told to punch rather than catch ?

There's been times when Felix could have caught the ball (or made a reasonable attempt at it), but opted to punch. I put it down to the 'continental' style of keeper.

But Lonners has done the same.

Maybe it's confidence, but I can't help and wonder if they have been told to punch.

If so, i'd rather have a keeper make an attempt to catch.
white viz
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by white viz »

I agree Gilford when I played I was always told catch the ball whenever I could, only punch when challenged in the air such as corners unless you were built like Joe Corrigan of Man City or Dave Beasant of Wimbledon then you caught it and took everybody out with it even your own defenders.This in mind gave the defenders especially the CH's the confidence to leave you to claim it.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by lufctrav »

Jack Clarke has signed a professional deal at the club.
Big striker i think