2017/18 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: 2017/18 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by rss1969 »

dangermouse wrote:Kiwi, while you make many valid points I think there is more to this if you are talking about genuine promotion contenders. You plucked out Mahrez and Michu from the last 5 years. These are exceptions and for each one of these players there are 20-30 top players signed at market value. I don't think we are going to be lucky enough to have 10 or 15 top players in our squad at one time signed for way below market value. Our transfer policy for years now has been to try to sign potentially up and coming players for low fees and wages in the hope they will develop into top players. Some do but most don't and we waste a season or two each time.
The other problem is that when we do get four or five top players in our squad they get picked off by other clubs while we are scratching around in the transfer market hoping to unearth another few gems from a dozen or so signings made on the cheap. When we have some momentum built we don't follow it up with more proven quality additions, we lose that momentum and inevitably our best players leave and the cycle begins again. There is a big difference in being a team in contention for the playoffs and a team in the mix for promotion. Teams you mention Cardiff, Preston, Brentford, Sheffield United none of these teams will be promoted this year. No chance. Bristol City are contenders but they have spent plenty of money over the last few years. The other genuine contenders aside from Wolves will be the the likes of Villa and Derby who have spent money. Yes there will always be the odd exception who get promoted on the cheap, but we have spent 15 years trying to be that team and it hasn't happened yet.
I have no doubt our current policy will be enough to keep us a comfortable mid table Championship side hoping to strike it lucky some year and finish in the top six but we have been out of the top league for 15 years. We haven't even made the playoffs in well over a decade. I expect more from Leeds United.

You make a valid point that spending does not guarantee success, and the likes of Wednesday, Birmingham etc back this up (Boro are not out of it yet). But there are as many or more examples where clubs have spent and been successful. Ofcourse we are not a Barca or Man City or even a Wolves, I don't expect us to be reckless but I do expect us to show a little more ambition to keep momentum building so we are not trying to justify the sales of the likes of Jansson, Veira and Saiz next summer when the offers inevitably start rolling in for them. We trousered around £20 million from the sales of Wood and Taylor last summer so surely we have a reasonable wad of cash to spend from that to keep the season alive. We hopefully have finally signed a decent player in DeBock to replace Taylor. I have been impressed by the new owner so far but we need to start improving our squad with proven quality rather than quantity now.
Excellent post :clap:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

AR responds to fans on twitter.......

I can see yours and all fans are getting impatient but I am responsible since last June and working hard to make our dream come true @LUFC management will be transparent and clear on market transfer strategy in Q&A session in Feb. all focus on millwall now #mot
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Borthwick-Jackson's return to Man Utd has been confirmed.

With Denton back (and now unable to join another team on loan this season after playing for our U23s a few days ago), I think we're covered at full back now.

That's music to my ears.
I like Denton.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

I hope the club will refund me for the Borthwick-Jackson shirt I bought earlier this season! The printing cost as much as the shirt! :cry: :D
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

SiMamu wrote:Borthwick-Jackson's return to Man Utd has been confirmed.

With Denton back (and now unable to join another team on loan this season after playing for our U23s a few days ago), I think we're covered at full back now.

That's music to my ears.
I like Denton.
Me too, I think the lad has a decent career in front of him. I also rate Lewie Coyle just has highly too.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

DominanceUK wrote:

That's music to my ears.
I like Denton.
Me too, I think the lad has a decent career in front of him. I also rate Lewie Coyle just has highly too.
Can't argue with that both look to have lots of potential.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

dangermouse wrote:Kiwi, while you make many valid points I think there is more to this if you are talking about genuine promotion contenders. You plucked out Mahrez and Michu from the last 5 years. These are exceptions and for each one of these players there are 20-30 top players signed at market value. I don't think we are going to be lucky enough to have 10 or 15 top players in our squad at one time signed for way below market value. Our transfer policy for years now has been to try to sign potentially up and coming players for low fees and wages in the hope they will develop into top players. Some do but most don't and we waste a season or two each time.
The other problem is that when we do get four or five top players in our squad they get picked off by other clubs while we are scratching around in the transfer market hoping to unearth another few gems from a dozen or so signings made on the cheap. When we have some momentum built we don't follow it up with more proven quality additions, we lose that momentum and inevitably our best players leave and the cycle begins again. There is a big difference in being a team in contention for the playoffs and a team in the mix for promotion. Teams you mention Cardiff, Preston, Brentford, Sheffield United none of these teams will be promoted this year. No chance. Bristol City are contenders but they have spent plenty of money over the last few years. The other genuine contenders aside from Wolves will be the the likes of Villa and Derby who have spent money. Yes there will always be the odd exception who get promoted on the cheap, but we have spent 15 years trying to be that team and it hasn't happened yet.
I have no doubt our current policy will be enough to keep us a comfortable mid table Championship side hoping to strike it lucky some year and finish in the top six but we have been out of the top league for 15 years. We haven't even made the playoffs in well over a decade. I expect more from Leeds United.
You make a valid point that spending does not guarantee success, and the likes of Wednesday, Birmingham etc back this up (Boro are not out of it yet). But there are as many or more examples where clubs have spent and been successful. Ofcourse we are not a Barca or Man City or even a Wolves, I don't expect us to be reckless but I do expect us to show a little more ambition to keep momentum building so we are not trying to justify the sales of the likes of Jansson, Veira and Saiz next summer when the offers inevitably start rolling in for them. We trousered around £20 million from the sales of Wood and Taylor last summer so surely we have a reasonable wad of cash to spend from that to keep the season alive. We hopefully have finally signed a decent player in DeBock to replace Taylor. I have been impressed by the new owner so far but we need to start improving our squad with proven quality rather than quantity now.
Agree or not with Kiwi or Dangermouse it's great to see posters making a real genuine effort to put their views over. Creates excellent points to debate, well done to both of you. :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

DominanceUK wrote:

That's music to my ears.
I like Denton.
Yeah, I agree. I honestly think that we could do worse than play Berardi as a covering defender in a three behind Pontus and Coops leaving Ayling/Coyle down one flank and De Bock/Denton down another. Still play the two central midfielders and let the three up top do what they want :

John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

rigger wrote:
DominanceUK wrote:

That's music to my ears.
I like Denton.
Yeah, I agree. I honestly think that we could do worse than play Berardi as a covering defender in a three behind Pontus and Coops leaving Ayling/Coyle down one flank and De Bock/Denton down another. Still play the two central midfielders and let the three up top do what they want :

Agree with your formation, but would swop Ayling and Berardi. Ayling played central defender a couple of times last season (with Bartley) and I think he did it very well.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Yeah, that could work as he's got the pace to cover both in the middle and both full-backs if he can read the situation quickly enough :)