Thomas Christiansen Appointed

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Thomas Christiansen Appointed

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Don Revie took over at Leeds United at the beginning of March 1961. He was in charge of 14 games as player manager his stats were :-

Played 14
Won 3
Drawn 4
Lost 7
Goals for 19 against 19

His goals for were helped with a 7-0 victory over already relegated Lincoln City.

The following season 1961-1962 the club were just 3 points off a relegation spot.

Played 42
Won 12
Drawn 12
Lost 18
Goals for 50 against 61

Should we have sacked Don Revie back then ? Thank god there was no internet back then. I'm not saying TC is the new Don but we need stability at the club.
Winner of the Europa League
swindonwhite
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by swindonwhite »

To even mention that man in the same sentance as Mr Revie is an insult to both his memory & the name of Leeds Utd - as it seems I am in the minority I am clearly on the wrong forum & will bow out with dignity.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

swindonwhite wrote:To even mention that man in the same sentance as Mr Revie is an insult to both his memory & the name of Leeds Utd - as it seems I am in the minority I am clearly on the wrong forum & will bow out with dignity.
No offence there sw, but that's a touch OTT don't you think?
Life, not just football, is all about opinions and different one's at that.
You are entitled to your's of course, but so's everybody else imho.

MOT.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

swindonwhite wrote:To even mention that man in the same sentance as Mr Revie is an insult to both his memory & the name of Leeds Utd - as it seems I am in the minority I am clearly on the wrong forum & will bow out with dignity.
:roll:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I just woke up and came in here to find this .. and it makes me sad.

Can we all take a deep breath ?
saintjimmy
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by saintjimmy »

I’ve said before that TC should be given a full season and I still stand by that , don’t get me wrong there is a lot of room for improvement but that’s true of a lot of areas at the club at this time , it’s all new, add to that some of the players needing a word or two with themselves and we are where we are.

AR is no fool and if that call NEEDS to be made he will, let’s see where we end up and then point the finger.

MOT
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

I do think that the club have a plan in place, whether it is the right plan with the right personnel is another matter.

They will want a continuity of formation and style of play throughout the youth, under 23 and 1st team. I notice we have an U23 manager who is Spanish so this is already in place.

You then need to recruit players good enough to play in the various teams and we have certainly signed a lot of players for the future. Even playing at U23 level the foreign recruits will learn about the pace and physicality plus English conditions so that all makes sense.

We have seen this model work fro Southampton, Swansea and Watford but they play in the prem. The football at our level is more draining and less about formation and styles of play. It is attritional and a complete grind for most part. Unless you have played or managed at this level before, it is hard for managers from abroad to get to grips with. It is probably like playing in the top flight in the late 80s and 90's.

I am sure the club will assess at the end of the season on TC. After all, Radz stated that the aim was top six.........how can he climb down from that statement? I am not convinced that you can 'learn' how to put the kind of fight into teams that is needed to get promotion by having a season in charge.
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Don Revie took over at Leeds United at the beginning of March 1961. He was in charge of 14 games as player manager his stats were :-

Played 14
Won 3
Drawn 4
Lost 7
Goals for 19 against 19

His goals for were helped with a 7-0 victory over already relegated Lincoln City.

The following season 1961-1962 the club were just 3 points off a relegation spot.

Played 42
Won 12
Drawn 12
Lost 18
Goals for 50 against 61

Should we have sacked Don Revie back then ? Thank god there was no internet back then. I'm not saying TC is the new Don but we need stability at the club.
Good post NW. You can't build a team overnight. It's good to see that building blocks are being put in place for the long term development of the club and team. Young players brought to the club to be developed to a lufc mould. They may not be ready for the first team now but in a couple of season's they should be challenging for the first team. Similar to how Review went and signed up all the young talent back in the day. When it works you get a real team ethos that stands the test of time.
We've had too many years of short termism. It hasn't worked. Let those in charge of the club and TC have time to build something sustainable. Enjoy players like Vieira, Phillips et al develop.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »