Thomas Christiansen Appointed

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Thomas Christiansen Appointed

Post by White Knight »

The real objective this year for Leeds United is off the pitch - stability, financial security, recruitment of key personnel throughout the organisation and to rebuild the reputation and image of Leeds United. TC is a part of this but I don't believe anyone close to the centre of LUFC expects promotion this year. They want to put in a decent showing and be mid table or above by end of season. If more were on offer then they woulfd certainly take it but it would be above expectations.

AR may not know a huge amount about Championship football, but he does know that you cannot clear out numerous poor players, cash in on a couple of quality players, buy in a bus load of foreign relatively unknown players and manager and then be able to get yourself promoted. Next year is probably when the focus comes on the team challenging for promotion.

The team taking off early and the sell out games are bonus territory, but the negative side of this is that it brings expectation. AR may well have underestimated the level of that expectation, the impatience of the Leeds faithful and their intolerance of callow performances, especially in Elland Road.

That's what we got last night and it will always cause an emotional and hostile response from the fans. People can put up with us being not the greatest team in the world (it has happened over time!), but they won't put up with a Leeds team not showing up. Last night we lost on all fronts - shots, shots on target, corners, fouls and even yellow cards. This type of performance is the one threat to TC because it will create dissent and threaten the image, and ultimately, the money. TC needs to be aware of this and needs to develop a battling side that will play with passion and pride in the absence of real quality at the moment. He'll survive until next season at least that way.
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

That is why this forum is brilliant.

We do not have to agree and if proved right or completely wrong, your opinion is not shoved back down your throat.

Good post Davycc. :thumbup:
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

rigger wrote:Ah cannae tekk much muir av this, cap'n :o
Thank god we don't play in red shirts - they'd all be dead in the first 5 minutes!
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

phil62 wrote:
rigger wrote:Ah cannae tekk much muir av this, cap'n :o
Thank god we don't play in red shirts - they'd all be dead in the first 5 minutes!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
swindonwhite
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by swindonwhite »

AR says he is proud to be LUFC after the Derby performance & TC said he was happy with his players. both as bad as each other i cannot see AR sacking TC & for me things have returned to normal - doom & gloom 3 home defeats in a row lost 6 of last 7 games come on somethbing has to give
KandolsBigToe
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by KandolsBigToe »

perspective
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

It is still too early to get rid of TC... but not by much! As I've always said, it's all well and good to say a manager must be given time but there has to be a limit where you say, this is never going to change. 7 defeats in 10 games is dire. If we went down at Brentford that's 8 from 11. Even Leeds fans forecasting our results are now having to go for defeats because logic says if you've lost a few on the trot then it is more than likely you'll lose the next one too! So where is that point of no return? 9 from 12?, 10 from 13? A few more defeats and we'd have to change. November is traditionally the month when lots of changes happen too, simply because there is still plenty of time for a new man to make an impact and so that he can use the transfer window. No one wants to change, but let's hop we pick up some wins, starting with tomorrow. It feels very much like it did pre-Bristol so here's hoping!
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

9 from 12?
Well a 75% failure rate shouldn't really be tolerated. I'd replace him for sure if we were to lose next 2 on the spin. There'd be 29 left which would still give us a good chance.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

With the way this league is panning out at the moment, its the most open season iv'e seen for a number of years. Many of the top sides are losing games also but not as inconsistently as we have done. I am always in favor of keeping onto a manager especially one that has brought in so many players of his own which TC has.

At the moment the death knell is hitting the door hard at TC's office and normally quiet fans are voicing their concerns loudly. The air of expectation went through the roof because of the glorious start we made and rightly so, we all felt it when it was good. Fans can be fickle also. In this case we have been losing games and losing them badly. The team are not performing and the fans are turning which for our club this more often then not spells disaster for the team because we are a vociferous old bunch on the stands when we are unhappy.

I am an optimist but even i can see if things don't change soon and the losing streak goes on we will need to take action on the managers position. Would i like him to carry on? yes of course i believe he can get us promoted with just a few strong additions during January, mainly a solid CB, a proper old fashioned CM with a no nonsense attitude to the opposition and our own players who are a little clueless about fighting for the win when the chips are down and finally a forward with some proper guile in front of goal who can create and score a few. The Pattern of the side is that we actually have no spine in the match-day squad. Opposition sides know and exploit our weaknesses well. If TC can't resolve this issue soon i would prefer another manager in so that he can make the necessary changes during the January transfer which we do need to address.

That's my take on it.....
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

In TC’s defence, let’s take a look at the new signings he’s had from Orta and his team ...

Wiedwald - Poor.
Lonergan - By accident takes takes the jersey, due to poor form from Wiedwald.
Anita - We are playing Dallas at LB rather than him.
CBJ - Nothing really seen of him
Pennington - Decent, but only on loan.
Klich - Who ?
Saiz - Outstanding
Alioski - Started well, but has faded badly
Cibicki - Who ?
Ekuban - Injured
Grot - Poor / Very Young
Lassoga - Half decent, but again only on loan

Gone - Say what you like about Chris Wood, but he was the Championship top goal scorer, any side will miss him. Add to that Rob Green, Charlie Taylor etc. Good players, now gone and, arguably not replaced well enough.

With the tools in hand, TC is doing ok for me.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.