Kalvin Phillips

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Post by kk white »

Really happy for Cooper. Always thought he got a bit of a hard time here. I'd love if we stopped asking how many mistakes he made. Every player makes several in every match, but we tend not to remember the ones our favourites make... MOT
Last edited by kk white on 07 Aug 2017, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

new signing wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:
new signing wrote:I love seeing players so openly derided by our own fans put in fantastic shifts showing these naysayers how little they know.

Cooper was also very good today
It's ace seeing people eat their words but some of us are that stubborn/pig ignorant we can't admit we're ever wrong or can't praise players even when it's richly deserved.

I haven't rewatched the match, how did Cooper look overall, did he make any mistakes? I know Phillips did but he seemed to be always involved too and no doubt there'll be remarks from his critics saying that the goals were flukes etc etc (I know his first was deflected for instance) :D
I can only remember Cooper being caught on the ball once and i think that was about his only mistake. Won everything that came his way in the air and made a number of decent interceptions. Says a bit about the bloke when he was selected by his team mates as skipper
Thanks mate, I was on the back row of the front tier plus I had 'something in my eye' all game :lol:

The stick on here for Cooper and Phillips hasn't been that bad at all, I was referring to other places where you'd easily be mistaken for thinking Leeds fans want the team to lose and certain Leeds players to play abysmally so their 'insightful' views are proven correct :wtf:
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

One swallow does not a summer make. I'm reserving judgement on Kalvin. He's an honest, hard working player but was rather too error prone last season. I'd love him to do well But he's a way to go yet.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

phil62 wrote:One swallow does not a summer make. I'm reserving judgement on Kalvin. He's an honest, hard working player but was rather too error prone last season. I'd love him to do well But he's a way to go yet.
Perfect summary of him :thumbup: 8-)
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

I feel the lad has often been played out of position monk had him number 10 vs Huddersfield also had him taking corners. That said successive managers have rated him so must be a lot more to him than purely being a ball winner. Him, Sackho and Cooper would benefit from fans actually wishing them to succeed rather than anticipating a mistake to win an argument on a fans forum. They are players I could envisage coming good at another club... so why not here. Final thought.... I would have added wood to that list 12 months ago. Those who derided him might lambast the club if he was sold for £20m in the next 3 weeks now!
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

isrodger wrote:Him, Sackho and Cooper would benefit from fans actually wishing them to succeed rather than anticipating a mistake to win an argument on a fans forum.
^^^Bang on ISR^^^ :thumbup:
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Cooper worries me still but if we can see improvements in Phillips, Dallas and Doukara - not to mention the emergence of Vieira last year - we must be doing something right on the training pitch so why not ? Why can't he become a proper, rock solid defender ?
He's got the physical attributes - big and strong and he's quite quick - but most of the time it was lapses in concentration that let him down, hence the constantly nagging fear that he had one mistake in him per match.

Maybe Garry Monk - himself a centre-half, remember ? - finally drummed it into him that he needed to be on it all the time ?
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

Leonickroberts wrote:
isrodger wrote:Him, Sackho and Cooper would benefit from fans actually wishing them to succeed rather than anticipating a mistake to win an argument on a fans forum.
^^^Bang on ISR^^^ :thumbup:
Agree totally. Some of the stick Sakho got last season at games was sickening.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

What about Sacko though lads? :P
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

rigger wrote:Cooper worries me still but if we can see improvements in Phillips, Dallas and Doukara .................
I think you're clutching at straws with Dallas and Doukara. Phillips, yes, has improvement in him. I'm afraid the other two are as good as they're ever going to be. Hope I'm wrong.