Policing at Football, who should pay? BBC R2 debate

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Policing at Football, who should pay? BBC R2 debate

Post by Another Northern Soul »

The Jeremy Vine Show, hosted today by Vanessa Feltz, will be discussing policing and who should pay.

I understand Gary Devonport from the Supporters' Trust will be involved in the debate. I'm listening to the show now and it's about slavery which is a truly awful subject.

Anyway, BBC Radio 2 now, folks. (Personally can't stand debate/current affairs programmes as I end up arguing with the telly or radio :P )
Deleted User 728

Re: Policing at Football, who should pay? BBC R2 debate

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Can't stand Feltz either.

Didn't listen but I don't see why football itself should pay for ALL of the policing ??
I mean, before the TV money and the EPL clubs didn't have to pay shedloads for it, did they ?
The principle should remain the same no matter the profile of the sport.
If there was a rally or march planned in any major conurbation in this country, the police would be out in force, wouldn't they ??
Who pays for that ?
The protesters ??
Of course not, so it hardly seems fair that football should keep footing the bill just because it can.

We're in danger of privatising too many things in this country and once we go down the road of security forces and holding clubs completely responsible for law and order I fear the worst ..
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

If it free's up some money to be spent on more police officers so they are not over-stretched. Then i'm all for a percentage of PL revenue going to the police.
Deleted User 728

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:If it free's up some money to be spent on more police officers so they are not over-stretched. Then i'm all for a percentage of PL revenue going to the police.
I understand what you're saying but on principle that's wrong in my book.

If there was to a be a proper tax on the football industry (Labour suggested 5% of the TV deal be ring-fenced for the grassroots game in their general election manifesto) then that would be perfectly fine and I'd have no objections, but until that happens I don't think it's right to just say "You can afford it, we want some of that".

The fact the game CAN afford to fund both the police needed AND plough some money into youth and amateur football is neither here nor there ..

Basically, what I'm saying is that the rich, the corporations and all those other tax-dodging individuals, groups and businesses should be taxed properly and then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. End of.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

rigger wrote:Can't stand Feltz either.

We're in danger of privatising too many things in this country and once we go down the road of security forces and holding clubs completely responsible for law and order I fear the worst ..
^^both of these are bang on Rigger^^
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

rigger wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:If it free's up some money to be spent on more police officers so they are not over-stretched. Then i'm all for a percentage of PL revenue going to the police.
I understand what you're saying but on principle that's wrong in my book.

If there was to a be a proper tax on the football industry (Labour suggested 5% of the TV deal be ring-fenced for the grassroots game in their general election manifesto) then that would be perfectly fine and I'd have no objections, but until that happens I don't think it's right to just say "You can afford it, we want some of that".

The fact the game CAN afford to fund both the police needed AND plough some money into youth and amateur football is neither here nor there ..

Basically, what I'm saying is that the rich, the corporations and all those other tax-dodging individuals, groups and businesses should be taxed properly and then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. End of.
In my opinion the PL falls into that category. :D

The clubs are not doing anyone any favours when we are seeing one club spending over 200m on players, and then we read the statistic that one in four children is growing up in poverty. (but that's another debate)

But I guess it what they call entertainment.

Maybe stewards are sufficient these days?
Deleted User 728

In my opinion the PL falls into that category
I don't disagree with you on principle at all - in fact, I'm all for it - but it has to be above board.
The government can't just foist the costs on the clubs willy-nilly. There needs to be legislation for it to be transparent and enforceable in itself. That's why I admired Labour's stance on the game ..

The clubs are not doing anyone any favours when we are seeing one club spending over 200m on players, and then we read the statistic that one in four children is growing up in poverty. (but that's another debate)
It is another debate and this is a capitalist economy so it's pure market forces. When that market implodes - which might not be that far away - and Sky's bubble bursts and we all have free-to-air entertainment on all our devices then we'll see a return to more sensible transfer fees and wages.
If you'd told someone twenty years ago they'd never have to pay to listen to all the recorded music that's ever been made .. through a phone in their pocket that's also a camcorder they would've laughed in your face. Who knows what the future of the relationship between professional sport and television will look like five years from now ??

Maybe stewards are sufficient these days?
In the grounds themselves with cameras covering pretty much the entire stadium, yes they are.
It's outside policing that the majority of the spend is paying for. Those stewards only work for four hours, most of 'em. The cops will be on duty a lot longer than that and cost an awful lot more.