In the Press

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: In the Press

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

From Leeds live about Paul Heckingbottom new role:-

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... s-15831661
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Leeds live final take on the spygate decision:-

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... h-15858178
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I think WSC got it right in their latest issue :

Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

rigger wrote:I think WSC got it right in their latest issue :

I liked their take on it too, and also particularly enjoyed the piece on Akinfenwa - I've always loved the chap based purely on the fact he's built like a small industrial building rather than a footballer.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

From WSC about championship finances:-

The risk and reward nature of achieving promotion to the increasingly lucrative Premier League has seen some owners commit to an unsustainable approach that may not pay off.

18 February ~ Even being a member of the family who control the world’s biggest supplier of canned tuna won’t prepare you for the pressures of running a Championship club. “Money is not the issue here, it is all about revenue,” said Sheffield Wednesday chairman Dejphon Chansiri – whose father founded the Thai Union Group, owners of John West tuna among others – in a statement to fans at the start of January, which expanded on the financial problems which had led to a transfer embargo earlier in the season. Since taking over in 2015, Chansiri estimates that he has spent around £200 million on the club. Initially, his outlay seemed worthwhile – Wednesday were beaten play-off finalists in 2015-16, before falling at the semi-final stage the following year. Yet as the club’s league position rose their annual losses more than doubled to £20.8m. Since then, diminishing returns on the pitch have caused the fan-owner relationship to become fractious.

Instead of taking responsibility, Chansiri diverted blame onto the League’s Profit & Sustainability (P&S) rules. EFL clubs are allowed to lose a maximum of £39m over three seasons, with limits on owner investment and penalties for exceeding this including transfer embargoes and points deductions. Clubs such as Brentford and Sheffield United have shown that buying low, selling high can be a viable approach to recruiting players. Huddersfield, too, lived within their means before hitting upon the right manager and earning a surprise promotion in 2016-17. Yet for every attempt at a Huddersfield model there are two or three trying to “do a Wolves”. When Chinese investment group Fosun International took over at Molineux in 2016 they poured money into player recruitment and pre-tax profits of £5.8m in 2015-16 had turned into losses of £23.2m by the following season. Had this trend continued over the next two years, Wolves would have faced at least a transfer embargo. However, in 2017-18 their expensive squad earned promotion, and Fosun’s risk was rewarded.

Wednesday’s current predicament, along with fellow recently embargoed clubs such as Birmingham and Nottingham Forest, shows what happens when the Wolves model goes wrong. Had they earned promotion during Chansiri’s first two years, the club’s financial worries would have disappeared. Instead, the losses have racked up and, given there is little prospect of Premier League football next season, Chansiri has taken extreme measures. His name has been plastered on shirts and stands, and shell companies such as D-Taxis and Elev8 (of which Chansiri is the sole director) take up sponsorship boards. This Manchester City-lite approach of misguided benevolence is not enough to avoid P&S sanctions, though. With player sales having previously been ruled out, fans are expected to fill the holes left by his unsustainable investment.

Chansiri has launched “Club 1867”, a scheme essentially selling Premier League season tickets (plus a few other benefits) now, to be redeemed when – or if – the club return there. The cheapest of these tickets is £455 for one year of Premier League football, the most expensive is £3,200 for five years’ worth. With many fans already struggling to afford their standard Championship season tickets, never mind effectively advancing the club the same amount again, the idea that they could raise the roughly £15m needed to avoid P&S sanctions seems deluded. Even if they could, it would only delay the problem for another year unless new manager Steve Bruce can conjure up a promotion.

The Football League’s financial rules are successful to a point – no club has entered administration since they were brought in – but owners might be more willing to follow them if teams began on equal terms. Even one failed Premier League season means a club begins their Championship campaign with a huge financial advantage over others. The £42m ex-Premier League teams receive in their first season back in the Championship dwarfs the £7m each club in that division receives in TV money, never mind the £34m and £16.6m parachute payments that follow in seasons two and three outside the top flight. This uneven financial distribution creates owners who are ready to forgo stability in a desperate bid to reach the Premier League. However, if those owners choose to ignore P&S rules they will need better backup plans than begging already stretched fans to bail them out.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

My pal has just emailed me this:-

Posted by Juani Jimena in Facebook group ¨Leeds Media¨ 18 January 2019.
If someone wants to write me my email is: juanignaciojimena@gmail.com
Hello from Argentina. First of all, sorry for my english is not the best, but at least is
better than bielsa´s  I'm in this group two months ago.
Why im here? First, because of Bielsa. Second, because i love football, i watch
football from all around the world. I like leeds before Bielsa arrive, and even more
now.
From the first moment I realized that the fans of leeds united liked bielsa, But I feel
that after the press conference the other day, you realized who is Bielsa really.
Think about it for a moment, I'm Argentine, what do I do here?
I'm not even a fan of the Newells old boys (Bielsa's team), im a River Plate fan.
The answer is because Bielsa is much more than a football coach. It is a way of
seeing life, and I'm not exaggerating.
We have Argentines, Chileans, Bilbao fanatics, Marseille fans, watching all the
Leeds United games, and even celebrating the goals.I screamed the goals of the
leeds this year, as if they were from the river plate.
Some other coach can generate that?. It will happen to you when Bielsa leaves
Leeds United. You are going to follow him. Watching Bielsa´s team's matches,
wishing him well
Some facts : In Chile, anthropologists, sociologists, analyze the influence of Bielsa
in Chilean society. Bielsa modified the self-esteem of Chilean society. When Chile
faced Argentina or Brazil, they thought before playing that they would lose. Bielsa,
made them believe they could.
He made them believe that they were just as good as them. In fact, they beat us,
Argentina, for the first time. That trust was transferred to the entire Chilean society,
which began to trust in themselves. Not only in football. what made anthropologists
interested in the Bielsa effect on the whole society
That's Bielsa.
In 2007 there were presidential elections in Chile. In a poll conducted majority of
society wanted Bielsa as president of the nation. It is good to clarify that the
Chileans above, do not like the Argentines. That´s Bielsa.
Throughout his career Bielsa had an enemy in common. Corporations or
monopolies of the press. In Argentina clarin, in bilbao the mail, in Chile the
mercury, in england sky. Why? First, Bielsa rarely gives interviews outside of press
conferences. The mediatic corporacoines are accustomed to inviting coaches or
players to their channels. Bielsa speaks to the press only at conferences, which
means that if you are from a local radio, or from the largest media corporation, you
have the same opportunity. Clarin, in Argentina, hated that. They criticized him for
not going to his television channels for interviews, and he received them only at a

press conference with local radio stations. That's bielsa, equality. Regardless if you
are an independent media, or a corporation.
He once told a Clarin journalist, one of his phrases that I liked the most : ¨The
further away I am from you, and from what you represent, the better person I am¨
Bielsa is more than a football coach. But also as a football coach is the best.
Makes a team that finished 13th in the second division of English football, per
moment play in the same way as Barcelona or Manchester City.
He made all the Leeds United fans believe that you can also play like Barcelona,
​​that you will play next year in the Premier League, and you are already thinking
that Leeds will play an excellent role in the premier league next year. That's bielsa.
If a Bielsa team is winning a match 2 to 0, Bielsa will not take care of the result, will
go for the third goal. Running the risk of being tied or complicate the game. He
prefers risk before speculation. And that, is not only in a football match, also in life.
In life, you have people who speculate, or you have people who risk everything for
what they believe. Bielsa, risk everything for what he believes, me too. That's why
Bielsa is more than a football coach, he is a coach of life. Enjoy it, it can last for
years or days, with him you never know. Therefore, enjoy every day.
Sorry for the length of my posting, but I wanted to tell you how I feel. In this time I
have learned a lot from Leeds, and it is a fascinating club with fans and a huge
history.
Not only will you promote the premier league, you will promote playing an
incredible football, with honesty, with risk, with ideology, with values.
Greetings, friends. From Argentina
PS: "The recovery work has five or six guidelines, the limit is reached, the offensive
football is infinite, endless, which is why it is easier to defend than to create"
"I am an obsessive of the attack, I watch videos to attack, not to defend ... to have
the ball, to have authority"
¨Success is an exception and not a continuous'
"For me, trust is a synonym of relaxation, I prefer fear, because it forces you to be
attentive"
Marcelo Bielsa.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Jon Howe's weekly piece from Leeds Live about the Three Bilbao fans who visited ER at the weekend:-

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... l-15882103
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere. I've seen comments on the programme in another thread but I'm at a loss to where that is.
This is Leeds fan Alex who was the victim of domestic abuse. He was featured in the heart-wrenching programme "Abused By My Girlfriend". He will be leading the teams out at Portman Road on the 5th of May when we play Ipswich Town. Utmost respect for the Ipswich Board for organizing this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-47361062