In the Press

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: In the Press

Post by MOT1964 »

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... radrizzani

Leeds attempted to appoint Antonio Conte before they made Marcelo Bielsa their new manager in the summer, says owner Andrea Radrizzani.

Bielsa has impressed early on in his tenure at Elland Road, overseeing three victories at the start of their Championship campaign. They are second in the table.

But Radrizzani has admitted Conte, who left Chelsea in July, was his first choice and he also revealed that he interviewed former Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri as well as contacting Belgium head coach Roberto Martinez.

"I do not deny that I made an attempt for Conte, I have a weakness for him, I would have offered £20m too," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"With him, I was sure that promotion to the Premier League would have been assured.

"There was an interview with Ranieri, an exquisite person. He was flattered by our interest, but at that moment he declined waiting for the right call.

"I also contacted Martinez, but there were not many margins because of his agreement with the Belgian national team.

"But we are extremely satisfied with Bielsa, we have chosen one of the best in the world."
maltrain
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by maltrain »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-13122950

Marcelo Bielsa threatening to finally make Leeds good enough for everybody to hate again :o

After 14 years out of the top flight, giants who went from disliked to ignored may soon return under Pep Guardiola's idol.

I took my 81-year-old, ­Burnley-supporting father-in-law to Turf Moor on Sunday for the game with Watford.

The 3-1 defeat didn’t give Kevin much to talk about. But, as we walked around the ground, I was given a glowing report on every ­former player whose black-and-white image proudly hung on the brick walls.

When we reached the Jimmy McIlroy one, he just looked at the photo with awe and said: “Mr Burnley. What a guy.” Then he ­proceeded to relive the glory days of his youth when, as he put it, “we were the best in the land”.

The next day, I woke up to hear the sad news that McIlroy had died, read all the tributes to his greatness as a player and a man, and to ­Burnley’s 1959-60 title-winners, and thought Kevin’s unknowing ­obituary had been pitch-perfect. And I thought also how, due to football’s cyclical nature, it was good that Jimmy Mac’s Burnley are back in Europe, and ­Huddersfield and Wolves are in the top flight again.

But, mostly, I thought of the ­revival at Leeds, a team so dominant under Don Revie that rival fans ­despised them with a ­passion reserved later for only ­Liverpool and Manchester United.

I thought how healthy it is for English football that a giant of a manager like Marcelo Bielsa is in charge of them, and is giving their fan base hope that a 14-year ­absence from the top flight may soon be over.

You ­almost have to pinch yourself to see them playing with such style under someone Pep Guardiola has called “the best coach in the world”.

Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani said, before his job interview, the Argentinian had studied 20 of their games and knew about every player — ­including the youth team.

In the brief time he’s been at ­Elland Road, he’s brought a new energy and ambition to the place, with fans loving the way he’s got the players pressing, rotating and winning. And how he orchestrates it all from his perch on an ­upturned bucket.

The victory over Rotherham on Saturday meant Bielsa is the first Leeds manager ever to win his first four games in charge. But, in many ways, the hard-earned draw at Swansea on Tuesday, which took them top of the Championship, was more impressive.

They lost ­captain Liam Cooper in the warm-up, and went ­behind twice, but carried on ­playing decent football and could have snatched a win at the death.

It’s very early days of course, and sceptics are already questioning if the Bielsa effect can last.

Some fear the ­disciplinarian pushed them too hard with double training sessions in pre-season, which may come back to haunt them when pitches get heavier and injuries kick in.

I hope the sceptics are proved wrong, because you only have to see Leeds in a cup tie at a Premier League ground, hear the following they bring and the atmosphere it creates, to know that is where this huge club belongs.

Two years ago, I was reminiscing with a Leeds-supporting mate about how I spent my ­formative terrace years chanting, “We all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds” etc.

And he ­replied miserably, “I wish you still did.”

I knew what he meant — the one thing worse than being disliked is being ignored.

But you sense that, under Bielsa, the football cycle is about to turn again.

If they stick with each other, it may not be too long before the curse is lifted on The Damned United.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Other clubs do hate us though.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

SG90 wrote:Other clubs do hate us though.
Yes, but they're all bog standard championship teams and other clubs in Yorkshire. We're only disliked by irrelevant clubs because we used to be relevant and they've never really been.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

While on international duty with Poland, Mateusz Klich has been speaking to the media. As part of a great interview with Przeglad Sportowy, Klich has spoken about Thomas Christiansen’s methods last year.

Asked why Christiansen’s attempts to play in a similar way to Bielsa failed, Klich said: “He wanted to play the way we do now, but he could not teach us that.

“Coach Bielsa knows what measures to choose to achieve this. He did it in previous clubs and now he gives it to us. No experimenting. We go out and play as he wants.”
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

maltrain wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-13122950

Marcelo Bielsa threatening to finally make Leeds good enough for everybody to hate again :o

After 14 years out of the top flight, giants who went from disliked to ignored may soon return under Pep Guardiola's idol.

I took my 81-year-old, ­Burnley-supporting father-in-law to Turf Moor on Sunday for the game with Watford.

The 3-1 defeat didn’t give Kevin much to talk about. But, as we walked around the ground, I was given a glowing report on every ­former player whose black-and-white image proudly hung on the brick walls.

When we reached the Jimmy McIlroy one, he just looked at the photo with awe and said: “Mr Burnley. What a guy.” Then he ­proceeded to relive the glory days of his youth when, as he put it, “we were the best in the land”.

The next day, I woke up to hear the sad news that McIlroy had died, read all the tributes to his greatness as a player and a man, and to ­Burnley’s 1959-60 title-winners, and thought Kevin’s unknowing ­obituary had been pitch-perfect. And I thought also how, due to football’s cyclical nature, it was good that Jimmy Mac’s Burnley are back in Europe, and ­Huddersfield and Wolves are in the top flight again.

But, mostly, I thought of the ­revival at Leeds, a team so dominant under Don Revie that rival fans ­despised them with a ­passion reserved later for only ­Liverpool and Manchester United.

I thought how healthy it is for English football that a giant of a manager like Marcelo Bielsa is in charge of them, and is giving their fan base hope that a 14-year ­absence from the top flight may soon be over.

You ­almost have to pinch yourself to see them playing with such style under someone Pep Guardiola has called “the best coach in the world”.

Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani said, before his job interview, the Argentinian had studied 20 of their games and knew about every player — ­including the youth team.

In the brief time he’s been at ­Elland Road, he’s brought a new energy and ambition to the place, with fans loving the way he’s got the players pressing, rotating and winning. And how he orchestrates it all from his perch on an ­upturned bucket.

The victory over Rotherham on Saturday meant Bielsa is the first Leeds manager ever to win his first four games in charge. But, in many ways, the hard-earned draw at Swansea on Tuesday, which took them top of the Championship, was more impressive.

They lost ­captain Liam Cooper in the warm-up, and went ­behind twice, but carried on ­playing decent football and could have snatched a win at the death.

It’s very early days of course, and sceptics are already questioning if the Bielsa effect can last.

Some fear the ­disciplinarian pushed them too hard with double training sessions in pre-season, which may come back to haunt them when pitches get heavier and injuries kick in.

I hope the sceptics are proved wrong, because you only have to see Leeds in a cup tie at a Premier League ground, hear the following they bring and the atmosphere it creates, to know that is where this huge club belongs.

Two years ago, I was reminiscing with a Leeds-supporting mate about how I spent my ­formative terrace years chanting, “We all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds” etc.

And he ­replied miserably, “I wish you still did.”

I knew what he meant — the one thing worse than being disliked is being ignored.

But you sense that, under Bielsa, the football cycle is about to turn again.

If they stick with each other, it may not be too long before the curse is lifted on The Damned United.
I liked this post, Thanks for that. I think the passion is me has been reinvigorated by what is happening at Leeds this season and long may it continue. I guess many on here understand the quote "I wish you still did" There's nothing that the Premiership misses more than to see a successful Leeds side back there with the second to none fan base. We are such a passionate club and i do believe that when we get there we would survive quiet well. MOT.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

BPF sounded out by England but opts to stay with Norn Iron.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45427205
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Sniffer wrote:BPF sounded out by England but opts to stay with Norn Iron.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45427205
That's ma boy BPF yer sucking diesel with us lad :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders