98 years ago

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

98 years ago

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Leeds United were formed following a public meeting of 1000 Leeds City fans at Salem Chapel.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: 98 years ago

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Beautiful.

I'm still wondering what the club has planned for two years time.
Nowt under Cellino, now I'm expecting (literally) fireworks and more from Rad :)
90 miles a hour
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by 90 miles a hour »

Yes and in 2019 it will be 100 years :D
The staff down at elland road are working on all sorts of events to celebrate our 100 years anniversary
A little story that takes me back in time
I started work in 1971 as a apprentice bricklayer aged 15 and worked each day with a old guy called Billy Blackburn who was around 62 then he was a mad Leeds fan but had stopped going to the games because they had sold John Charles and the entrance fee had gone up
His first games he went too were in the 1940 and when we had our dinner breaks he would reminisce about the old players ect
It was great to listen to him telling all his storeys about the games and how good John Charles was
He told me John Charles could head the ball harder than some players can kick it :D :D
In 1975 a was trying all ways to get a ticket for Paris but with no hope up step Billy Blackburn
After work a week before the game he said come on we will go and see my old boss he will give you a ticket
Off we went to Roberts R Robert builders to see Mr Roberts who was a director at Leeds United then and I walk out with a ticket in my hand for Paris :D :D
How did he give you a ticket Billy I ask ?
I worked for them and build his house and all them bloody toilets down at elland road and Mr Roberts always said to me if I can do any thing for you Billy come and see me
Billy Blackburn past away a long time ago God bless him but he was the oldest Leeds fan i ever met
Just a old story.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Great story Mr 90mah. :thumbup:
Happy birthday to Lufc. :clap:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Nice story that 90mph. He was a bit before my time, I saw my first game in 1952, but I can confirm everything he says about John Charles. Unfortunately, he wouldn't have seen many games in the 1940's as there was no league football during the war years. I probably stood on the terracing with Billy in the 1950's!
I once played against Don Revie.
90 miles a hour
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by 90 miles a hour »

johnh wrote:Nice story that 90mph. He was a bit before my time, I saw my first game in 1952, but I can confirm everything he says about John Charles. Unfortunately, he wouldn't have seen many games in the 1940's as there was no league football during the war years. I probably stood on the terracing with Billy in the 1950's!
Yes johnh he was in the war as well
And he would tell you if it wasn't for the Yorkshire lads Hitler would have won :D :D
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

I have texted Mr +15 to tell him of this momentous day for Lufc & he texted back to ask if Mr NottinghamWhite was at the original meeting & had got a copy of the meeting minutes that he could post up here? :o ;) :lol:
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

PockWhite wrote:I have texted Mr +15 to tell him of this momentous day for Lufc & he texted back to ask if Mr NottinghamWhite was at the original meeting & had got a copy of the meeting minutes that he could post up here? :o ;) :lol:
I think you'll find that they would not let Mr NottinghamWhite go to the meeting because he was too old. :D :lol: