David O'Leary

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

David O'Leary

Post by NottinghamWhite »

An offer to former manager David O’Leary the chance to get back in the mix of things at Elland Road, with the Italian owner inviting the Irishman to attend some matches in the near future.
In a report by The Times, O’Leary revealed that the Leeds United owner had offered him the chance to come to Elland Road to see the current crop of players compete in the Championship, and it is something O’Leary is going to seize with both hands.

O’Leary commented that he was ‘looking forward to taking in a few games’ and also cited his own run at Leeds manager, stating he ‘must have done ok’ following a five year spell in the manager’s hotseat at Elland Road.

Read into it what you may.
Winner of the Europa League
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: David O'Leary

Post by mapperleywhite »

In my mind O'Leary was in charge when we had an exceptional group of players, both established ones reaching their prime and youngsters coming in.

Not sure what he could contribute now given the massive changes in the game in the meantime, but maybe Radz is alluding to something the Italians saw back then...
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

I really liked O'Leary when he was the manager, His attitude to management and the young guns was excellent too. I wouldn't mind having him back in some capacity in the backroom staff because his experiences would help lift our team to greater heights once again.

I know some people also point the finger at O'Leary for his part in the debacle of mismanagement of funds and the free and easy way we went about it back then, but as far as i'm concerned the manager is blameless on all accounts when it comes to spending the cash that available. He did what any other manager would have done and spent it on players he believed would keep us in the Champions league year on year. It nearly paid off too but we all know what happened and what transpired afterwards. I think he has something to offer the players but at the same time offer something to TC too.

If the chance to manage us came for O'Leary again i would probably say no this time because although he did very well with our younger players back then, he has been out of the hot-seat of management for a number of years now and many younger players wouldn't know much about him and his exploits as Leeds manager 16-17 years ago. I remember at one point he was tipped to replace blue nose at Manure that's how highly he was rated. As a person i liked his attitude and he was always courteous and put things into perspective. Likable guy no doubt.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

There are rumours doings the rounds that if we lose to Boro and Wolves TC will be history. O'Leary might be alright as a consultant but I for one don't want him back as manager. He left us in 2002 had 3 unsuccessful years at Aston Villa and a season in Dubai, hardly a strong current CV in today's game.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

A strange one this nothing to say he will receive any money from this. Yes he was a good manager for us but he did have the best group of youngsters we've had in many years to work with & money to splash in the transfer market. Added pressure on TC here me thinks. Anyway enough negativity lets humble a certain Mr Monk.
Winner of the Europa League
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

O'Leary was a good manager and he did have a good crop of players, but to be fair to him he gave them the chance when George "christ i play boring football" Graham was slow to do so. I don't blame him for spending all our cash as he was the child in the sweet shop asking "can I, can I, can I" to Peter Risdales parent chararcter who should have been say "not that one, perhaps that one etc". By all accounts O'Leary is a bit of a conniving self-serving so and so all about himself and this was evidenced by the fact that he released his book, shockingly titled, " Leeds United on trial" (or something) WHILST HE WAS STILL MANAGER!! As if we didnt have enough on our plate with Messrs Woodgate and Bowyer and everything else going on.

I wouldnt have him back at the club in any capacity as he has been out of the game too long and his Ego wouldn't fit what we are trying to achieve long term.
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

ChilwellWhite wrote:There are rumours doings the rounds that if we lose to Boro and Wolves TC will be history. O'Leary might be alright as a consultant but I for one don't want him back as manager. He left us in 2002 had 3 unsuccessful years at Aston Villa and a season in Dubai, hardly a strong current CV in today's game.
Not sure you could easily call his 3 years at Villa unsuccessful. Year 1 - 6th and 3 points off CL, yr 2 - 10th, yr 3 - hovering over relegation and leaving by MC.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Dubleeds wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:There are rumours doings the rounds that if we lose to Boro and Wolves TC will be history. O'Leary might be alright as a consultant but I for one don't want him back as manager. He left us in 2002 had 3 unsuccessful years at Aston Villa and a season in Dubai, hardly a strong current CV in today's game.
Not sure you could easily call his 3 years at Villa unsuccessful. Year 1 - 6th and 3 points off CL, yr 2 - 10th, yr 3 - hovering over relegation and leaving by MC.
They didn't win anything though, i think that's more the point being made. I don't particularly dislike the fella and he did a lot of good here, certainly didn't deserve sacking on his actual managerial record here.
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Dubleeds wrote:
They didn't win anything though, i think that's more the point being made. I don't particularly dislike the fella and he did a lot of good here, certainly didn't deserve sacking on his actual managerial record here.
Ah, so no trophy then unsuccessful. Of course it was a different time before the sugar daddies of MC and Chelsea arrived, so in theory 'easier' to win something, or qualify for CL at least I suppose.