Welshmen of Leeds United

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Welshmen of Leeds United

Post by johnh »

Neil, good read that. I used to watch Aubrey Powell when he played for Everton in the late 1940's. I was in the boys pen at Goodison. The only other comment I would make is that there were no 'red cards' in the early 1900's. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
neil316
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by neil316 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
neil316 wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Ahem, Stevenson. I knew him reasonably well when he was the landlord at the New Inn in Churwell, the pub which John Charles had a fair few years before him. I liked him though he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, so to speak :)
Was he not? In what way?
No disrespect but I won't answer that, there's nothing sinister in the comment, it's just Life isn't it? :thumbup:
as long as there was nothing sinister to it then i’m ok with it, fair enough
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

neil316 wrote:
neil316 wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Ahem, Stevenson. I knew him reasonably well when he was the landlord at the New Inn in Churwell, the pub which John Charles had a fair few years before him. I liked him though he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, so to speak :)
Was he not? In what way?
No disrespect but I won't answer that, there's nothing sinister in the comment, it's just Life isn't it? :thumbup:
Sorry Neil, maybe we have crossed wires. I knew Byron pretty well and I liked him, what I meant was that as a landlord not everyone did like him, that's just how it is in the pub trade. I would never post anything scurrilous about him if I did know anything, thankfully I don't/didn't :thumbup:
neil316

Post by neil316 »

johnh wrote:Neil, good read that. I used to watch Aubrey Powell when he played for Everton in the late 1940's. I was in the boys pen at Goodison. The only other comment I would make is that there were no 'red cards' in the early 1900's. :D
yeah he wasnt the same player by all accounts when he moved to Everton. when were red cards introduced?
neil316

Post by neil316 »

neil316 wrote:
neil316 wrote:
Was he not? In what way?
Sorry Neil, maybe we have crossed wires. I knew Byron pretty well and I liked him, what I meant was that as a landlord not everyone did like him, that's just how it is in the pub trade. I would never post anything scurrilous about him if I did know anything, thankfully I don't/didn't :thumbup:
ahh fair enough. you’re not always going to be popular in that kind of trade
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

neil316 wrote:
johnh wrote:Neil, good read that. I used to watch Aubrey Powell when he played for Everton in the late 1940's. I was in the boys pen at Goodison. The only other comment I would make is that there were no 'red cards' in the early 1900's. :D
yeah he wasnt the same player by all accounts when he moved to Everton. when were red cards introduced?
1976. Prior to that the referee pointed to the dressing room and entered it in his book. That was the year I 'hung my boots up', aged 40. Nothing to do with the introduction of red cards though!
I once played against Don Revie.
neil316

Post by neil316 »

johnh wrote:
neil316 wrote:
1976. Prior to that the referee pointed to the dressing room and entered it in his book. That was the year I 'hung my boots up', aged 40. Nothing to do with the introduction of red cards though!
I would have thought it was well before then. Learn something new every day!