Leeds United and other clubs' vinyl recordings

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Leeds United and other clubs' vinyl recordings

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Deebo wrote:After consulting my "bible" Seddon's 1999 Football Compendium

http://www.lufctalk.com/resources/leeds ... l-320.html

He says the "Manchester United Calypso" (1957) was "the first commercially available football pop song".
thanks mate, I did suspect I'd read something here before but couldn't recall any detail :thumbup:
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

I have a vinyl copy of "Leeds United Calypso" as well. God, I haven't listened to that in ages. I used to always play it just before 3.00 on a Saturday. Must dig it out for the weekend. :) :thumbup:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Bit of a surprise as I read today's Knowledge column in The Guardian :wave:
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

rigger wrote:Image

Bit of a surprise as I read today's Knowledge column in The Guardian :wave:
Cheers for posting, I hadn't seen that :D
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

Some of you may already read this, but here is an excellent article on Ronnie Hilton (and his granddaughter's release at the time) from 2012.
In 1964, as Leeds won promotion from the Second Division to the top tier, Ronnie recorded ‘Leeds United Calypso’ alongside ‘Elland Road Baht’at’. A signal of intent, of global reach and stature: West Indies meets West Riding. Both playful, both cheekily convivial, the two tracks heralded the start of a new age, a newfound self-confidence in our place as a club and a city: as the Calypso had it, “Instead of the Mersey and Liverpool Sound, we’ve got a special noise at the Elland Road ground.”
https://sabotagetimes.com/football/leed ... for-speedo
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Deebo wrote:Some of you may already read this, but here is an excellent article on Ronnie Hilton (and his granddaughter's release at the time) from 2012.
In 1964, as Leeds won promotion from the Second Division to the top tier, Ronnie recorded ‘Leeds United Calypso’ alongside ‘Elland Road Baht’at’. A signal of intent, of global reach and stature: West Indies meets West Riding. Both playful, both cheekily convivial, the two tracks heralded the start of a new age, a newfound self-confidence in our place as a club and a city: as the Calypso had it, “Instead of the Mersey and Liverpool Sound, we’ve got a special noise at the Elland Road ground.”
https://sabotagetimes.com/football/leed ... for-speedo
cheers!