Ex Player, Coaches & Managers Interviews

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Ex Player, Coaches & Managers Interviews

Post by kk white »

Apologies if there is another thread for this, but I love listening to retired footballers talk about their careers. If anyone has any interesting links, please post them here.

Heard an excellent John Giles podcast interview with ex Man U and Millwall player (and now journalist) Eamonn Dunphy, about John's life in football. His love for Leeds United is evident, but as always with John, he's very truthful. Due to rights reasons I’m not sure if you can access it in the UK, but the podcast is called ‘’The Stand with Eamonn Dunphy’’. Link to Soundcloud website is here, Episode 30: https://soundcloud.com/thestandwitheamondunphy

On joining Leeds: Said he knew his time in Old Trafford was up because Busby had lost confidence in him. He asked for a transfer on Tuesday and was at Elland Road by Thursday. One reason for joining was that even though Leeds were a 2nd Division side, he knew that they had finished the previous season strongly and were getting good crowds at games. Secondly, Bobby Collins was his hero. If Leeds were good enough for Bobby, then they were good enough for anyone.

Busby v Revie debate: Believes that Busby could not do what Revie did in building a new team and getting them to great heights, but Revie was not sure how to bring the forward once they had reached their peak (1968 - 74). He reckons Busby knew how to do that.

Leaving Leeds: Even though he was not motivated by money, he still believed in being treated fairly. Players were treated badly by clubs in those days. West Brom offered £50,000 to buy him, but no signing on fee. They claimed Leeds would sort that. Chairman Manny Cussins offered him £5,000 to leave – John told him where to stick it! His defence was that he was bought for £32,000, gave 12 good years’ service and was being sold at a profit. Cussins said he was already well looked after (on £200 per week for his last year). John left Leeds without a testimonial. He had been on a waiting list but it never materialised, mainly due to the fact he had fallen out with the board over the manager’s position when Clough and then Jimmy Armfield took over.

Hope this post isn’t too long to read, but there’s so much more in the interview…
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Ex Player Interviews

Post by Another Northern Soul »

That's a great and definitely not too long extract :D

Cheers KKW
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Excellent idea for a thread I’ll give it a listen late. Love Johnny Giles.
Winner of the Europa League
jordiboy7
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by jordiboy7 »

It doesn't qualify as "Ex player" but the interview with Howard Wilkinson that was aired on BBC Radio Leeds a few weeks ago is a great interview. It documents Howard's thinking in the 91/92 season, and goes on to talk about the importance of Strachen, his regrets over Vinnie Jones, and utilsing Carl Shutt. 92 was before my time, so it was great to learn more about that season.

I've been searching for the link somewhere because I didn't get to finish it. So if anyone beats me to finding the link, post it in here because it is well worth a listen!
kk white

Post by kk white »

Maybe a mod can change the name of this post to something more appropriate? I've heard some great interviews lately with Graham Souness, Liam Brady and Stiliyan Petrov that any footie fan would find interesting.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

kk_white wrote:Maybe a mod can change the name of this post to something more appropriate? I've heard some great interviews lately with Graham Souness, Liam Brady and Stiliyan Petrov that any footie fan would find interesting.
Just create a Non Leeds Interviews thread mate.
kk white

Post by kk white »

I'll leave this one as is so. I 'd like to hear that Howard Wilkinson interview. Had a search online but the Beeb have taken it down from general population :evil:
kk white

Post by kk white »

Any transcripts from the Jimmy Armfield BBC interview...?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Ex Player, Coaches & Managers Interviews

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
kk white

Re: Ex Player, Coaches & Managers Interviews

Post by kk white »

Great outlook on life and footballers in general.