Corners

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Corners

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Since this new set piece expert has joined the club why do 2 players go over to the corner flag ? Surely 1 is enough & the other should be in the box. Does anyone agree or am I just old fashioned ?
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: Corners

Post by Deleted User 728 »

You're not old fashioned, but the key to corners - and all set-plays - is variety, I think.

Only 3% of them worldwide result directly in a goal anyway so I can see the logic behind wanting to play it short and keep possession so far up the pitch.
What really gets me is when they are crossed in and they don't beat the first man !
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Two at the corners can confuse defences if they're not concentrating plus give us a sneaky route in to the danger zone, and at the least it drags a defending player out from the area which they might not be accustomed to doing. If they don't mark the second player then we theoretically have a better chance of putting in a killer pass. In theory :P
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

As Rigger rightly says variety is the key word here not predicable as its with every corner. I just find it annoying & found myself cussing at my iPad on Saturday.
Winner of the Europa League
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

What gets me is when we defend a corner with 11 men... surely better to have a player or two on the halfway line so oppo have to leaver 2 or 3 back?
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Leicester White wrote:What gets me is when we defend a corner with 11 men... surely better to have a player or two on the halfway line so oppo have to leaver 2 or 3 back?
One's enough - the oppo always leave two men back to mark one forward.

Personally, I prefer someone small and nippy to be on the halfway line than the centre-forward - a Roofe, rather than a Lassoga.
This is for two reasons : you need the big guy to help defend, while the quicker player will be more likely to get on the end of a break and be able to turn and punt it forward to chase than a lumbering target man with the turning circle of an ocean liner.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Leicester White wrote:What gets me is when we defend a corner with 11 men... surely better to have a player or two on the halfway line so oppo have to leaver 2 or 3 back?
Age old quandary is that LW :D
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

rigger wrote:
One's enough - the oppo always leave two men back to mark one forward.

Personally, I prefer someone small and nippy to be on the halfway line than the centre-forward - a Roofe, rather than a Lassoga.
This is for two reasons : you need the big guy to help defend, while the quicker player will be more likely to get on the end of a break and be able to turn and punt it forward to chase than a lumbering target man with the turning circle of an ocean liner.
Agreed, a Roofe or a Rod Wallace type on the halfway line for me, can't work out why that doesn't happen every time.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote: What really gets me is when they are crossed in and they don't beat the first man !
The number of times I’ve had to apologise to the lady who stands next to me for my language when that happens, it sends me crackers and there is no excuse for it.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

There's only one thing worse than a short corner which comes to nothing and that's a cross that hits the first defender. :x
I once played against Don Revie.